Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT!

AMChrisRose

jlt2011v6.jpg

A 2011 V6 Cold Air Intake from JLT! Carbon fiber, smooth bends, reinforced coupler, large heatshield with pinch seal for the hood. This thing is sick!

Anyone want to wager a guess what the gains are going to be?

This is going on our 2011 and on the dyno Monday or Tuesday!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So when are we gonna see some real dyno video an graphs with a/f

AMChrisRose

Hey guys!

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. We had some construction that was still in our way Monday (we're finishing up our new shop - which is sick!). We did have access to the dyno today, so we got our 87 octane results done. We're doing the 93 octane results tomorrow and we'll post up all the info then.

Very happy with our dyno results so far!

Chris

AMChrisRose

There was 5 inches of snow last night, and it's been snowing like crazy all day. Either way, we were able to get our testing completed today. Good thing, too.. the construction around our dyno picks back up tomorrow all the way until the end of next week, so dyno is a no-go. We would have had to use a friends.

Anyway, we are compiling all of the results. We want to make it easy to read, and there will be a video as well (it might be all in video form, because these graphs get really jarbled up, so to speak). I will say that an intake and tune combo for the 2011 is definitely worth it. Not only does the car pick up horsepower, but the powerband is so much smoother.

We also re-tested the C&L intake as well, because it was a popular request.

We're happy with the results, and we're also going to show it to you like no other vendor will. Real dyno results from a third party.

AMChrisRose

I did have a chance to test two of the popular intake options for the 2011 V6 again last week. The dyno results will be up later today or tomorrow at the latest. We're trying to organize them a little bit, so there's not 40 lines on a graph.

The JLT, C&L and Airaid (Bama) intakes for the 2011 V6, so far... ALL have had the same air/fuel ratio before and after the installation. This is great news, for those scared of a tune. For those scared of a tune, the bad news is that you're probably also scared of sunlight and the Easter bunny. I keed, I keed!

There are so many benefits when running a custom tune. The increased throttle response, driveability, horsepower and torque are just the beginning. Gas mileage, future mod support, ability to recalibrate the speedometer, datalog, read & clear DTCs, it's amazing.

So the testing we've done shows that these 3 intakes, when thrown on a stock 11 v6, add between 10-15 RWHP. You add a tune and you get another 8-10RWHP. The combination is worth 18-25 RWHP and the gains for both hp/tq throughout the curve are awesome as well. Now that makes the intake look like the important part of the equation. However, adding just a tune alone adds 15-20 RWHP. That makes the intake look less important. The point is:

An intake alone adds 10-15 HP/TQ

A tune alone adds 10-20 HP/TQ

Together they add 18-25 HP/TQ

I think that going with both is huge. Yes, if you start with an 87 octane pull and then run 93 with a CAI you're going to see 25+RWHP all day long. This is true. I was going off of 93 octane results both stock and modded.

Basically, if you add the CAI first, it makes the tune numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you add the tune first, it makes the CAI numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you look at the benefits, there IS reason to have both.

The tune gives you better driveability in general. You get a cleaner tune, optimized for your octane level, throttle response, automatic get increased shift pressures, faster/firmer shifts, and again, 3 different maps that alow you to pick what style of driving matches your favorite custom tune. Also datalogging, read/clear check engine lights, better MPG, etc. This also supports any future modifications that you do (especially if purchased from Bama with free tunes for life! )

The CAI gives you the added performance, added MPG, and supports future modifications. The intake is going to create more and more power as your air requirements increase. If you add long tube headers, you'll lose alot more than 3-5 horsepower by switching out the intake for the stock air box. I hope this makes sense. That and they look sweet! Also, you're going to notice a very slight decrease in your intake air temperatures. That, plus the filter is cleanable and reusable.

Last edited:

AMChrisRose

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSx7MGTecE"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 - Cold Air Intake & Bama Custom Tune Dyno Results[/nomedia]

andymarkv

Established Member
Damn it.... Should have waited for the JLT.
Anyone want a good deal on a V6 C&L intake with 15 miles on it?

Great work guys! I think this little V6 will be a fun zinger once the weather breaks and we can get it back on the road!

Users who are viewing this thread