looking at a used 13 boss......any thing I need watch

alex12gt

Established Member
Found a used 13 boss with 8k miles and considering picking it up I've had an 11,12 and 14 so I know the platform just wondering if there is anything in particular I need to watch with a boss

Thanks
Alex

alex12gt

Established Member
Built 12 was 700hp and grabber blue lol boss is sby and will be boosted most likely .......only got 1 ticket in the last car.......i guess 117 in a 65 at 2am is frowned upon lol

_Snake_

Established Member
Things to look for:

Track Pack key and activation
Owners kit with all the cool Boss goodies
Boss car cover
OEM parts for anything that was replaced with an aftermarket part

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
OP (Alex12gt) if you are looking to buy a used Boss... First thing to look for when you buy it. don't buy from a used car lot. buy direct from the first owner.

Tire wear, even if the owner has replaced the tires still look at the tread difference between fronts and rears. You cant say original tires, I put a half inch hole in the sidewall on mine and had to get a new set, a matching set of rears is 1200 bucks, I just went with a 4 new tires of a different brand and metric size. tread wear on the back compared to the front will say if its been babied or broke every road law know to man kind.

Mod list, see how many modifications the original owner has done to the car. ever mod takes away from original. it doesn't matter who made what put on the car, if it didn't come from the factory that way its an aftermarket mod. some make more damage then others, the red key adds just some fun items, no added HP, track key is a product of Ford Racing.
After market parts are worth pennies on the dollar on a used car buy, don't get suckered in because someone paid 1200 bucks for a set of headers and expects you to pay 1200 bucks used on the car. I guess it is a how bad do you want it thing. If the seller does not have the original parts so the car can go back orginal that is a major deduct on the value of the car. Make big discounts for missing original parts.

two identical cars sitting side by side same physical shape, the difference between 2000 miles and 20000 is 600 bucks... Low mileage to me means nothing more then 600 bucks. I think I spent 600 bucks well by putting 18000 more miles on my car then Mr. garage queen car there sit doing nothing.

So called excellent condition. there is no such thing as a used car in excellent condition. the closest you can get to this is roped off in a museum and it that car has issues with dry rotten seals.

no such thing as a used car in excellent condition.

Use this website come up with an average value from the three to give you a base line for purchase.
Black Book is the best

http://www.cudlautosmart.com/Research/TradeInValues.aspx

Last edited:

Randy M

Established Member
I got my used Boss in excellent condition from a BMW dealer. 1,151 miles on it and paid $40K. Mileage puts wear on the clutch, tires, suspension, fluids, seats, rock chips and overall condition of the car. The value of it all is worth way more than $600.

Last edited:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Randy not going to argue, just repeating what the difference from black book was... And Black Book knows more then you and I. But hey, value of something is what the customer is willing pay. prime example, when the boss was first released, people paid dealer markups 10 to 15k over sticker. by the end of 2012, people bought them below sticker.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Established Member
I got my used Boss in excellent condition from a BMW dealer. 1,151 miles on it and paid $40K. Mileage puts wear on the clutch, tires, suspension, fluids, seats, rock chips and overall condition of the car. The value of it all is worth way more than $600.

Value is subjective in this sense -- I think that's what he was pointing out. Afterall, many people track their Boss, and track miles are much harder on consumables.

With that said, you can pretty quickly tell what kind of mileage was put on the car at 1,100 miles. It'll be very obvious if it was tracked. And if it isn't -- I agree, it's worth more than $600 to most people. As such, someone who's only willing to come up $600 on a Boss 302 in that condition, simply won't get the car and will have to settle for something with higher mileage (which doesn't matter to them, so it's a win-win).

Randy M

Established Member
Randy not going to argue, just repeating what the difference from black book was... And Black Book knows more then you and I. But hey, value of something is what the customer is willing pay. prime example, when the boss was first released, people paid dealer markups 10 to 15k over sticker. by the end of 2012, people bought them below sticker.

Which is why I just got mine. I looked around and talked to dealers in my area. Everything was ADM, allocation, can't get one, share of nations. I just gave up and figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

gixxer1

Established Member
Ya I went through the same thing with hunting around for mine Randy, I found a local 12 w 3500 miles . Thought that was a decent deal as currently it's Mannheim auction price. Actually a slightly lower. Seller was retiring to Florida and didn't want to bring it with him.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Dealers in New England were tacking on 5-10k ADM everywhere, could not find a 12 Boss w/o one. Finally found a rural dealer with a Q 3 allocation and gladly paid MSRP. As Marcus says in Borderlands, "Your cash ain't worth a thing if you don't spend it"...

Users who are viewing this thread