Looking at springs, Hotchkis or Steeda Sport?

BLK93GT

Established Member
I am debating between the two, I will probably use Koni Str.T shocks/struts and GT500 mounts. I don't see much info on the Hotchkis.

I have 20x10 square setup AMR with 275/35
14675f1a3b1785905d1cc3f8b7d2a3b1.jpg

tj@steeda

Established Member
You can't go wrong with the Steeda Sport Springs - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-coupe-sport-springs-555-8215/

555-8215-5.jpg

Here are just some product reviews as others weight in:

JOSH W
I'll start by saying that service and shipping was top notch and prompt. I was unsure of whether or not to go with ultra light springs on my 14 GT but decided to go with Sport based on reviews. I spend 4 hours a day in my car and the ride is everything. As a car guy who enjoys driving.......I couldn't have made a better choice. I was more interested in spring rate than the drop itself, eliminating wheel gap was just a bonus for me (fp8, 19" wheels). Installation was simple, the supplied instructions were more than enough if you have some mechanical experience. An extra set of hands goes a long way when working with struts. IF you do not have a spare vehicle, make sure you have the tools needed, deep well sockets mainly. All the major auto stores have rental spring compressors that are a little more sturdy that what they sell. In my driveway it took me about 3 hours, using 1 set of jack stands and one jack.
GREGORY GREEN
Look no further for a daily driver spring with occasional track time. The car sits better, feels better, and (I don't know how) responds quicker.
LOWEREDLIFE
Man these springs are exactly what my car needed - gives it that great stance! No more 4x4 wheel gap :)
2012 GT
Ordered the Sport springs as I didn't want to drop the car too far and run in to issues with ride quality. Installed them today and went on a roadtrip on some curvy streets nearby. Ride over bumps and uneven lanes was almost exactly like stock! This was a huge plus for me as I daily drive mine. The stance was dropped and appropriately and the springs definitely helped with the launch and nose dive under breaking as well as helped keep the car flat during cornering. Couldn't be happier!!!
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-coupe-sport-springs-555-8215/#sthash.dpsVgbB2.dpuf

Let me know if I can help assists further ... you can reach me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I just put on Steeda Sports, Koni Str.t shocks/struts and GT500 mounts in March. Handles and rides great. Firmer than stock but not harsh at all. I liked the linear spring rate with the Sports. Also pics of steeda sports do not do justice how well the stance looks in person.

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I've had steeda sports and currently have FRPP P springs both with GT500 mounts and Koni STR's on a DD with once a year trips to Sebring for HPDE's. I prefer the steeda sports. The P springs may be a bit softer with the initial bump but are stiff where you want it, aka reduced nose dive in braking and cornering, but it's a very minor difference. I prefer the steeda drop as it's more of a drop in the rear than in the front. I never thought the steeda were completely flat stance and did maintain a minor rake, which I like, but the P springs lower evenly and the rake is still significant, like the rear wheel gap needs to be just a bit lower, aka just like the steeda drop. I don't know much about Hotchis but Steedas are a popular choice here for a reason. Just my .02

ricardoa1

Established Member
I am debating between the two, I will probably use Koni Str.T shocks/struts and GT500 mounts. I don't see much info on the Hotchkis.

I have 20x10 square setup AMR with 275/35
14675f1a3b1785905d1cc3f8b7d2a3b1.jpg

I love my Hotchkis, but since you have Konis and GT500 mounts the Steeda will work.

I run just the Hotchkis on my 13 stock dampers and mounts and gets job done perfectly.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
I went with the Steeda Sports, Koni STRTs and GT500 mounts, haven't installed the items yet, but I have a couple of friends with the same config, and the stance is exactly want I wanted to copy, both cars look mean, without being slammed, and both cars handle great, one is a 12 like mine, and the other is a 13, along with this parts, I also ordered an adjustable PHB (Steeda Street Adjustable), installed a couple of days ago, and i've corrected the axle being moved about 3/8" towards the driver side, never noticed this until I got 275/40/19 tires installed in the rear, so i'm more than happy already with the PHB, and I haven't lowered the ride yet :)

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
I love my Hotchkis, but since you have Konis and GT500 mounts the Steeda will work.

I run just the Hotchkis on my 13 stock dampers and mounts and gets job done perfectly.
I don't have the Koni yet, the mounts I do. I just don't think I'll get the handling and feel I want with the stock dampeners with an aftermarket spring.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I've had steeda sports and currently have FRPP P springs both with GT500 mounts and Koni STR's on a DD with once a year trips to Sebring for HPDE's. I prefer the steeda sports. The P springs may be a bit softer with the initial bump but are stiff where you want it, aka reduced nose dive in braking and cornering, but it's a very minor difference. I prefer the steeda drop as it's more of a drop in the rear than in the front. I never thought the steeda were completely flat stance and did maintain a minor rake, which I like, but the P springs lower evenly and the rake is still significant, like the rear wheel gap needs to be just a bit lower, aka just like the steeda drop. I don't know much about Hotchis but Steedas are a popular choice here for a reason. Just my .02
I would like to eventually take this car to a track event, I plan on some better brakes as well. Doing what I can a little at a time.

How are the Steeda on the track?

Way2QWK

Established Member
you will be much happier if you do the springs and Koni dampers at the same time. I vote for the steeda sports also.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
How are the Steeda on the track?
Awesome. I have nothing to compare to as I've only gone when I had the Steedas but there were zero complaints from me with them. Only car I was passed by was a GT500. For a daily driver and occasional corner carver, I would highly recommend them along with the Koni STR's. Would Koni Yellow's be better, probably as they are adjustable. Would steeda comps or something stiffer be better at the track, probably. You could go on and on, round and round, and end up spending a ton of money on a car that you don't want to drive outside of a track setting. I wanted a stiffer ride, comfortable enough for a DD, that would also hold it's own, to my current driving abilities, at the track and that's exactly what I got from that setup. I can't wait to get back out there and see what the FRPP P springs are like but it won't be for awhile.
Whatever you do with mods, don't pass up a chance to take it to an autocross or HPDE or anything like that. Just go. It's worth it in every way. So much fun and everybody I met was a cool car guy. I even helped some 60+ year old guy put his stock wheels back on his boss after the event. He had tendonitis and braces on both elbows and one wrist and was still out getting at it. I hope I'm like that and just go until I die. Got a bit off topic, but yes after suspension, I'd do brake fluid and pad swap for the track. You can piece together a decent priced brake cooling kit also. I got my brackets from blowfish, tubing from ebay and made it fit right on to where my stock fog lights were. Good luck with whatever you decide. Get out there and take some video then post it up. I like drag racing and street racing and all but I really wish we had more road racing threads and video's up around here.

tj@steeda

Established Member
The people have spoken ... Steeda it is!!

In all seriousness, you will be very happy with the Steeda springs. They are a huge hit among Mustang enthusiasts.

If you would like ... we can put a package together for you if you would like. The Pro Actions are a great compliment to the Steeda springs along with our HD Mounts.

Best Regards,

TJ

bullet3z

Established Member
Have you considered BMR springs?
This is what I did after a long debate. I was interested in the P springs but ended up with the BMR handling spring, Koni yellows and MM caster camber plates. I am very happy with this decision. No brake dive and no body roll in corners.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I like the level look of the Steeda and Hotchkis. I haven't heard much on the Hotchkis but a lot of great comments on the Steeda

BLK93GT

Established Member
Awesome. I have nothing to compare to as I've only gone when I had the Steedas but there were zero complaints from me with them. Only car I was passed by was a GT500. For a daily driver and occasional corner carver, I would highly recommend them along with the Koni STR's. Would Koni Yellow's be better, probably as they are adjustable. Would steeda comps or something stiffer be better at the track, probably. You could go on and on, round and round, and end up spending a ton of money on a car that you don't want to drive outside of a track setting. I wanted a stiffer ride, comfortable enough for a DD, that would also hold it's own, to my current driving abilities, at the track and that's exactly what I got from that setup. I can't wait to get back out there and see what the FRPP P springs are like but it won't be for awhile.
Whatever you do with mods, don't pass up a chance to take it to an autocross or HPDE or anything like that. Just go. It's worth it in every way. So much fun and everybody I met was a cool car guy. I even helped some 60+ year old guy put his stock wheels back on his boss after the event. He had tendonitis and braces on both elbows and one wrist and was still out getting at it. I hope I'm like that and just go until I die. Got a bit off topic, but yes after suspension, I'd do brake fluid and pad swap for the track. You can piece together a decent priced brake cooling kit also. I got my brackets from blowfish, tubing from ebay and made it fit right on to where my stock fog lights were. Good luck with whatever you decide. Get out there and take some video then post it up. I like drag racing and street racing and all but I really wish we had more road racing threads and video's up around here.
What made you change from the Steeda to the P springs?

stangman07

I say do the Steeda Sports with the Konis. The Konis are on sale right now @ americanmuscle.com and if you get a discount code they will be a bit cheaper!! I am currently building my setup going to buy the Koni STRTs first and the springs will later follow. :coolman:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
What made you change from the Steeda to the P springs?

I was going to sell both cars due to issues that turned out ok but by the time we found out everything was ok, I had already sold the steedas and most of my mods on the 13. i lost money on the mods I sold and now have to buy them again so I figured I'd go all used stuff this time to try and save some money. The only springs I was looking at were BMR, Steedas and P springs due to Them fitting the spring rates and amount of drop I was looking for. A deal on P springs came up first so I got those.

Users who are viewing this thread