Looking for deeper, not as loud exhaust

IFlyEm81

Established Member
I just purchased a 2011 GT, which came with Borla's Atak Axle Back exhaust installed. Turns out they are louder than I like and would like to sell them and purchase, or trade, for an axle back exhaust that is a little quieter with a deeper sound. This is my first Mustang and my first time dealing with exhaust on any vehicle. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Coosawjack

Established Member
Go to Youtube videos and listen to a few.......I like MagnaFlows, KOOKs, and now I have FRPP Tourings by BORLA.......mellow and rumbly with NO DRONE!!:)

IFlyEm81

Established Member
Go to Youtube videos and listen to a few.......I like MagnaFlows, KOOKs, and now I have FRPP Tourings by BORLA.......mellow and rumbly with NO DRONE!!:)

Thanks for the reply. I have been scouring YouTube listening to absolutely everything. With the mic set ups and using cell phones as recording devices, they all seem to sound too loud. It's hard to get the feeling of how loud they actually are. Watching the Borla comparison videos makes them all sound the same in regard to noise levels. I wish I could "try before I buy", just to make sure I don't waste money. upset the neighbors, and, ultimately, not wake up the kids during naps!

IFlyEm81

Established Member
Do you think I could sell what I have on there now? Borla Atak Axle Backs. If so, how much are they worth? How would I know what condition they are in? Thanks again!

Coosawjack

Established Member
I have a set of OEM mufflers from my 2014 GT that I'd give ya if you were closer.......shipping would kill the deal and they would need tip extensions for a 2011 car.
You should be able to sell the Borlas easily since most owners want more noise.
Look for Borla Tourings and possibly swap your Ataks with someone wanting to be louder!!

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I have borla s-types and I absolutely love them. No drone; no rasp; no complaints and they have a great, deep sound.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I just purchased a 2011 GT, which came with Borla's Atak Axle Back exhaust installed. Turns out they are louder than I like and would like to sell them and purchase, or trade, for an axle back exhaust that is a little quieter with a deeper sound. This is my first Mustang and my first time dealing with exhaust on any vehicle. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I've changed exhaust a few times finding the right one. I landed on Kooks and plan to stay here.

I really liked the RTR/Magnaflows, but the flanges on mine weren't shaped right so they didn't fit properly. Magnaflow competition wasn't bad. Corsa Xtreme wasn't deep enough and got too much metallic rasp as I opened the rest of the exhaust up. Had Borla S-types and they were nice, but not as deep as I wanted.

grabsand

Established Member
kooks... I mean low deep tone at cruise and with Off road X its quiet as heck in the cabin, get on it and it really comes alive but not obnoxious.. Plus the quality and stainless is very high quality.. Sell yours and make the jump..

Coosawjack

Established Member
kooks... I mean low deep tone at cruise and with Off road X its quiet as heck in the cabin, get on it and it really comes alive but not obnoxious.. Plus the quality and stainless is very high quality.. Sell yours and make the jump..

^^^TRUTH^^^ and even better with an H-Pipe IMHO......more burble!!;)

Reaper14

Established Member
Pype bombs too loud, muffler delete too loud & if you have long tubes, no cats or resonators the kooks sound flat. Mine had a deep tone at first & if I feather the pedal it still does, but if I want tl drive normal they sound raspy & flat imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Jcsvt04

Established Member
I have the oem mufflers off my 2012 and I have some flowmaster hushpowers that are on the car now. I’m looking for something a bit louder. They have a nice deep tone that you’re looking for if you’re interested.

mike884

get the GT500 axle back mufflers. Nice rumble at idle, roarty when you get on it. But when you put it in 6th or drive it gently its like having an off switch.

96gt02

Established Member
If you want something a little louder than stock but good sounding, go with the gt500s, if you want the deepest possible (but not stupid loud) get Mac axlebacks, nothing is deeper imo.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
The magnaflow Street catback series (not just the axle backs) with the cats still installed are deep but they will have a mild drone at 1800-2000 cruise speed under load up hills. I loved them but because the wife complained about the drone, they went. I now run O/R - H pipe with GT500 axlebacks and the factory after pipes and the car is quiet inside (drone wise), is not quite as deep as the Magnaflows, but wake up nicely at WOT.

5.0stormtrooper

Have you heard the Roush axleback?

Users who are viewing this thread