looking for tire selection help

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im hoping some of our experienced drag racers here can help me out in choosing a tire here for the 1/4 mile and driving back/forth from the track (~20 miles each way)

This will be for my full weight 03 Mach (probably 3800ish w/ driver)
The car makes 715/580 on E85 at the moment
shift RPM will be 6800-7000
Wide Ratio Magnum Trans - 2.97 2.10 1.46 1.00 .74 .50
Rear end currently has 4.10s (rear had 4.56s when I bought, goal at the time was only high 500s/low 600s...) I realize this might have to change.

With the current stock rolling diameter setup (315/35/17) it looks like 4th gear would be a top speed of 130 according to tremec. Thats assuming the googled tire height of 25.68" is correct. My concern would be that if the loose nut behind the wheel ever gets his shit together the car would be capable or trapping more than that (correct me if Im wrong here...)

I havent bough new rear wheels yet, was going to look for something either 15 or 16" (preferably something that'll clear the cobra/bullett/mach stock rear brake setup with the use of a low profile banjo bolt).

How tall of a tire can I run? Suggestions on width? I know there are some guys running stupid fast on narrow tires but I havent made a pass in a stick shift car in nearly 10 years, Id rather have a little extra tire to help my ass out at the expense of a little more weight/rolling resistance.

Thanks for any input

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
Honestly, you will have to narrow down your wheel choices based on looks and what tires are available. I went with a 17x4.5 up front and was gonna go to matching 17x9.5s but I didn’t like tire sizes available, mostly slicks so I’m staying with 18x10s.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I guess I should clarify I’m more looking to pick the right tire type/height/width then I’ll go find a wheel that fits and hopefully the options aren’t fugly

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
28x10.5x15 Mickey stiffwall slick for track only use. If you are looking for something to drive to the track on you could try a 27x10.5x15 Hoosier quick time pro.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
^^^ what he said. That thing will be screaming with 4.10’s going across the stripe.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys, some on mod fords also suggested the MT PRO. Forgot to mention I was thinking of driving to the track which is about 20miles each way (including on an expressway).

I don’t cirrently have a trailer but considering one. I think the gearing will eventually get changed

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I like the MT radial pro, but a higher power stick car needs a lot more suspension work to run as well on that tire as you would on a slick. To be honest, I run the 275/60 pro on the street. They are good tires. Not meant for street use though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I like the MT radial pro, but a higher power stick car needs a lot more suspension work to run as well on that tire as you would on a slick. To be honest, I run the 275/60 pro on the street. They are good tires. Not meant for street use though.

whats the deal with them not being for street use? Is it the absolutely minimal tread and how theyd be a death wish in any kind of water? Or does it have anything to do with just not being meant to drive any kind of real distance at speed?

I realize the car is going to need go through quite a bit of changing suspension wise to really get max performance but its not a grudge car or class car, just want to have a damned quick street car

are you running a radial slick or a bias ply?

Users who are viewing this thread