Looking to add cats to my exhaust setup

CobraTampa

Established Member
Just like the title says, I'm looking to add cats to my current set up for a couple of reasons. Right now, I'm running stock manifolds, o/r xpipe and Borla stingers. Everything else on the car is bone stock. No pulley, no tune....stock. The gas smell is horrible and i hate to even say it, when I get on it, it's just so damn loud. Like really raspy loud. I can't even hear my supercharger at WOT, lol. After speaking with my local shop my options are to buy some high-flow cats and weld them into the xpipe or buy a whole new catted midpipe. I'm leaning towards just buying the cats but I read somewhere that ceramic cats aren't good for forced induction cars and that you should go with the metallic substrate ones. Any suggestions? American Muscle and LMR both sell a number of options but wanted to ask your opinions.

Anybody here ever weld in just cats? If so did it solve the issue with the strong gas smell and rapsy exhaust tones?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Everything I've read about aftermarket cats is usually bad. In the sense that they don't last, some don't even keep the CEL off from the get-go either. I'm sure many will chime in here though and contradict me. :ROFLMAO:

They will help with the rasp, but so will an H pipe.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I kind of had this happen. I blew out the original cats on my Bassani X so it was basically an off road pipe. As you've learned it's stupid loud. I ended up picking up another set of cats from Bassani and it quieted it back down. Whatever substrate Bassani uses seems to be ok. This is the second supercharged car I've had them on and they're holding up fine. (knock on wood)

So either way adding cats will help. The only H pipe I've run my Stingers with is the stock one and I didn't like the way it sounded. It just had a weird tone to it.

cobracide

Established Member
My MRT H with cats sounds nice, no rasp with borla 14858 catback. Not stingers. You should be using chambered mufflers with an H for the best "classic" muscle car sound.

The stinger/X combo is pure rasp if that is what is desired.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My MRT H with cats sounds nice, no rasp with borla 14858 catback. Not stingers. You should be using chambered mufflers with an H for the best "classic" muscle car sound.

I agree!! This would be my recommendation for the OP.

The MRT catted H-pipe will be more throaty, as Nick said. Better sound IMO over the X-pipe. The Stingers are one of the loudest mufflers available, so a new muffler would be a big difference while still being loud enough to remind you you're not driving a Tesla Plaid. LOL. I used to use a Steeda/Borla catback back in the day that for me was perfect.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive heard nothing but good things about High Performance Catalytic Converters by GESi. Its what I recommend to my customers who want to upgrade or replace there Catalytic Converters and maintain performance (EPA Compliant).

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC (Professional, Quality and Honest business is my top priorty)

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
I bought a catted BBK H pipe. Installed in minutes.
Quieted it down a little, 'felt' like I got some torque on the low end, didn't stink anymore. CEL was already tuned out so I don't know if that mattered. Only downside is that it was $500

hotcobra03

Established Member
I've been catless since new .

I can smell exhaust but it's not like you can't stand behind it and breathe,,

I do have a hand tuner tune ,

We don't have testing here ,so I can't say if it works where you get tested,,

But my rear 02s are turned on and no issues with cel,

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I really wish Borla would bring that catback back for the IRS. I'd like something a little quieter, but I want to stick with Borla.

CobraTampa

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately there are very few options for catted hpipes unless you want to spend $1000+. Most of what’s out there are xpipes.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nitrojunk

Established Member
just swapped out my older KOOKs LTH's and mid section with high flow cats.. I swapped for ARH's. Anyway after removing, I looked into the mid pipe and driver side had no cats left and passenger only had 1/4 of the cat left inside.

PcChip

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately there are very few options for catted hpipes unless you want to spend $1000+. Most of what’s out there are xpipes.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
so what did you end up doing? I'm in the exact same situation as you right now

Users who are viewing this thread