Looking to become a Navy Corpsman...

Ford5.0Fanatic

Established Member
I'm looking to join the Navy soon and my life long dream is to become a Corpsman. I'm looking for ANY information, that ANYONE is willing to provide me that will increase my likely hood of becoming one and having a successful career in the Navy as a Corpsman. Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help me out.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Get the basics out of the way first.. How old are you? Are you overweight? Can you pass a PT test? Do you have any civilian experience in the medical field? Do you have any physical disabilities or other disqualifications?

Ford5.0Fanatic

Established Member
22 years old, athletic shape/build, yes on the PT test, i am currently trained as a Firefighter EMT. No disabilities.
Get the basics out of the way first.. How old are you? Are you overweight? Can you pass a PT test? Do you have any civilian experience in the medical field? Do you have any physical disabilities or other disqualifications?

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Basic training is in Chicago as well as Corpsman school, you'll be there for a while.

Ford5.0Fanatic

Established Member
That is good to know, i was wondering where all of my training would take place. Do you know how long basic is and then how long Corpsman school is? I know in the Army they call training after basic "AIT". What does the Navy call it?
Basic training is in Chicago as well as Corpsman school, you'll be there for a while.

Cbarr300

Established Member
I'm not a Doc, but being Marine motor transport I've certainly known a lot of them. Learn as much as you can and hope they don't stick you at 29 palms or camp Lejeune haha. Good on you for going the Corpsman route. Just a heads up, no matter what they tell all the docs while in school, motrin and a fresh pair of socks does NOT cure everything haha.

10fore

Established Member
OP, check out http://www.corpsman.com/forum/forum.php There is a lot of good information on that site. HM is a cool rating with a lot of "C" schools and different routes to take. You also have the ability to go FMF if you're feeling adventurous. Keep in mind though that there is a good chance you'll see more shore duty than sea duty.

HM "A" School is in San Antonio now. It was moved to Fort Sam Houston a couple of years ago.

Ford5.0Fanatic

Established Member
So i will have the ability to choose whether or not i deploy with a FMF? Is there anything i can do before going into the Navy to increase my rank/rate?
OP, check out http://www.corpsman.com/forum/forum.php There is a lot of good information on that site. HM is a cool rating with a lot of "C" schools and different routes to take. You also have the ability to go FMF if you're feeling adventurous. Keep in mind though that there is a good chance you'll see more shore duty than sea duty.

HM "A" School is in San Antonio now. It was moved to Fort Sam Houston a couple of years ago.

10fore

Established Member
Sometimes you have the choice for FMF and other times you do not. It depends on the needs of the Navy at the time. About the only thing that you can do to increase your pay grade prior to going in would be to have college credit, recruit others to join, or be recommended for a bump in pay grade for completing all of the assigned tasks while you're in DEP.
-Tyler

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
The Marines don't have Corpsman, they use the Navy ones so just keep that in mind. The Marines are a completely different world from typical NAVY life. However, if you want to see the most for your service and possibly do some cool shit then try to join, be at the top of your class, don't get discouraged and attempt to get into NSW (naval special warfare).

Users who are viewing this thread