Looking to buy a raptor....need advice

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Right now i have an 05 f150 lariat with about 76k on it with all the options. next year at this time it will be paid off but i only owe about 5500 right now. I was looking at a few 09 lariats but i really want a raptor but dont want to pay 40k plus right now. My question is what do you think raptors will be selling for come spring time say with around 20k on them? I really want a 6.2 with navigation but hoping the price drops a little when a few are out there with some miles because i am really not a fan of the 5.4. So in short i have my eye on a nice 09 larait now with every possible option, or should i hold out until next spring and what are the chances of finding a nice raptor in the mid to maybe lower 30's?

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Right now i have an 05 f150 lariat with about 76k on it with all the options. next year at this time it will be paid off but i only owe about 5500 right now. I was looking at a few 09 lariats but i really want a raptor but dont want to pay 40k plus right now. My question is what do you think raptors will be selling for come spring time say with around 20k on them? I really want a 6.2 with navigation but hoping the price drops a little when a few are out there with some miles because i am really not a fan of the 5.4. So in short i have my eye on a nice 09 larait now with every possible option, or should i hold out until next spring and what are the chances of finding a nice raptor in the mid to maybe lower 30's?

are you going to tow your cobra with the raptor to Carlisle? :rockon:

SOCOMech

Established Member
What do you want out of your next truck? The Lariat and Raptor both are very nice with great options but, the deciding factor is if you're really interested in offroading. If I had no desire to use the Raptor's abilities, then I would just go for the Lariat and pay less. Obviously though, I live in an area that doesn't just allow me to use it to it's potential but begs me to do so everyday. It just comes down to what you want it for and price. The Raptor delivers in all categories but carries the higher price.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
LOL...That would be a nice set up. Who knows we'll see. But in all truth half the fun going to carlisle is the drive. :beer:

yeah thats true but I would think it'd be pretty darn cool to pull up in a raptor with a cobra in tow. :coolman:

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
What do you want out of your next truck? The Lariat and Raptor both are very nice with great options but, the deciding factor is if you're really interested in offroading. If I had no desire to use the Raptor's abilities, then I would just go for the Lariat and pay less. Obviously though, I live in an area that doesn't just allow me to use it to it's potential but begs me to do so everyday. It just comes down to what you want it for and price. The Raptor delivers in all categories but carries the higher price.

Well truth be told, no i would not be jumping rivers or bajaing in the desert but i need a truck as a dd. I demand a loaded up truck as dd but my lariat now is a little :sleeping: and half the time i wish i was in the cobra. I like the fact that the raptor is a aggressive looking machine with all the options, and would give me a little of what i am looking for when i put the go fast pedal down. Not to mention the bad winters around here it would give a little fun in the snow :burnout:. And don't get me wrong there are plenty of trails around here i wouldn't dare take my truck down, but with a raptor...it would give me that option.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
yeah thats true but I would think it'd be pretty darn cool to pull up in a raptor with a cobra in tow. :coolman:

trouble would be.....where the hell do i park:shrug:. should i go with the cobras or with the raptors? I know.....what a dilema.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
you just take both and unload the cobra with the cobras then take the raptor to its section. problem solved.

i actually looked at the Raptors a little bit right after I sold my cobra but I just didnt think I'd be happy with only the truck and I can't afford a Raptor and a GT500 unless the wife gives up her hummer which i dont see that happening.

Whats the main reasoning behind the 6.2 over the 5.4? I dont know anything about the differance but I was told that the 5.4 is actually faster? Not sure if that was after some bolt ons or what.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FFbZpt3Zk"]YouTube - Raptor 5.4 vs 6.2[/nomedia]

Last edited:

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
you just take both and unload the cobra with the cobras then take the raptor to its section. problem solved.

i actually looked at the Raptors a little bit right after I sold my cobra but I just didnt think I'd be happy with only the truck and I can't afford a Raptor and a GT500 unless the wife gives up her hummer which i dont see that happening.

Whats the main reasoning behind the 6.2 over the 5.4? I dont know anything about the differance but I was told that the 5.4 is actually faster? Not sure if that was after some bolt ons or what.

YouTube - Raptor 5.4 vs 6.2

:lol: LOL at that video. I am going off the fact that the 5.4. triton in my truck is tied to a freaking tree and won't get out of it's own way and frankly a little noisey. I figure if i'm going to buy a raptor lets go with the motor that has 100 more hp and might get out of its own way.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
:lol: LOL at that video. I am going off the fact that the 5.4. triton in my truck is tied to a freaking tree and won't get out of it's own way and frankly a little noisey. I figure if i'm going to buy a raptor lets go with the motor that has 100 more hp and might get out of its own way.

yeah, i sold my 04 FX4 earlier this year and it had the 5.4L and now that you mention it that truck was pretty sluggish.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Well i test drove one yesterday orange with navi no roof with 16k on it. All i have to say is DAMN!!!! I'm sold. Without question i am buying a raptor Unfortunately the dealer that had this truck want 46k for a USED truck with 16k on it :nonono:. They came down a few grand but i'm sorry from what i see i can buy new with the plastic still on the seats for low 40's, and i would imagine every week that goes by closer to 2011 the price should be more flexible. One question i have for you raptor guys is this one has the navi and i think it is slick as shit with the back up camera etc. Most of the trucks within 500 miles of me don't have navi, so i think i am making my search more difficult. You guys have navi or is it just a toy i can live without :shrug:. Also how bad would the bill be to have the dealer add navi to one of these?

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Just sold the truck, the hunt is on. I have driven a few and i have a jeep to drive until i can find the right one, or should i say the right price.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I wouldn't want some OEM navigation that will be obsolete and dated eventually.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
I wouldn't want some OEM navigation that will be obsolete and dated eventually.

Wouldn't that statement hold true to the vehicle you are driving as well? :poke: I won't own the truck by the time it's obsolete, and most aftermarket units blow big time. I have used it in these f150's and will not buy a raptor without one.

trendkilllx

Established Member
they have a 2010 raptor with the 6.2, black for 49k, guessing with tax and license it would be in the low 50s, nice truck, a lot of money but very tempting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread