Looking to buy - need advice. Turbo. Spool. 780rwhp/810torque.

brigs

Established Member
New here. I've never owned a car with a spool before, but am buying a hobby car as a weekend cruiser and to drive 5 miles each way to my work maybe once a week. The Mustang I'm seriously considering is set up with a spool - I know a spool is hard on the axles, suspension, etc. but it's set up to handle this. My concern is whether because of the spool this car is going to be: 1. too crazy/dangerous on the street (I've read about unwanted kick of the rear end, be careful when the road is wet, be careful on certain turns, if an axle breaks you get pitched, etc.), and 2. too much of a pain in the parking lot/getting in and out of places?

I've owned a turbo car before and a supercharged LS1, and driven lots of stuff, but not at this power level. It's well built and priced right. I know there are a lot of different opinions on what's streetable and safe. Just looking for some opinions from those who have first-hand experience with a spool. I would not be doing any type of autocross or mountains - mostly cruising and getting some straight road speed on flat land.

When I rode in it, I could only tell it had a spool when coming out of the parking lot at a very low speed. Turning at lights and u-turns were fine, and a spool seems to be more predictable when the tires spin, which will happen often on this car.

Thanks! (Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place)

Last edited:

old01cobra

Established Member
It depends on what your refinement limit is. You can drive a car daily with a spool is it recommended no...…. Im stupid I'd do it, solid motor mounts, massive overlap cams and a spool with solid bushings in the suspension makes me smile. I like noise its fun. Its not for everyone but if you use it as a hobby car and drive it a few times a month I wouldn't care and if you're asking I really don't think you'll care either.... You'll chew tires up but 810rwtq will do the same. Its a toy go for it if you don't like it throw a different carrier in it, its not the end of the world especially if its a good deal you don't want to pass up on. A spool is definitely not a deal breaker to me and my opinions.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the rest of the car is too your liking I'd go for it. Changing out the spool is a small task in the big picture really. If you do get tired of the spool you can look into something like a Detroit locker. Friend of mine has one and when he annihilated one of the half shafts the car was still moving forward because the diff was fully locked.

brigs

Established Member
Thanks, guys. Ended up just going for it and drove it home the other night. It's been really rainy here since, so other than a reserved drive home, she's just sat in the garage for a few days. The spool is a little annoying to get into the garage, but I think I'll be happy with the purchase and around this forum for a while to come.

Users who are viewing this thread