loose headers?

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
my Cobra is at the shop and my machanic said that the bolts on the headers are gone, only one left and THAT one's loose! it's been ticking up front in the engine and i thought it was maybe a lifter or something. is this possible with this happening to the headers and causing the ticking noise? he looked at those because i'm in the process of having him put new ones on. has this ever happened to anyone else?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
A header leak will make what sounds like a ticking noise. But all bolts gone but one?????????? It would be loud as hell and sound like crap. :shrug:

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
that's what he said, my father talked to him so there might have been something missing in the translation. i could be one gone and the rest loose. but i still think it might be a lifter, i need something to connect for the white smoke that came underneath the dash once when i got on it HARD. no one can tell me what that was either.

Ginsu

Established Member
Yea an exhaust leak will sound like a tapping lifter. But just like Lightening Larry said, if all you had was one header bolt in then that car would have been loud as hell and sounding like shit. With out a doubt you would have known.

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
it was kinda loud, i was really worried that the S/C had put some strain on something and did some damage or a valve leak or something. either way a guy from Summit is coming this weekend to look the car over and see if the S/C is doing it's job correctly. after that it's a new exhaust system including new headers so by the middle of next week (hopefully) i'll know what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread