Losing interest in this hobby fast….

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
It’s not solely the gas prices. I work from home. Trust me, I spend a fraction of what most of you spend in gas. It’s the trajectory and what the gas prices are telling us. This is a hobby with an end date. Might be far away, might not…we won’t know.

I’m just not seeing an optimistic outlook and it’s affecting how I view this hobby.

Zemedici

Established Member
so dump the car brother if you want, but be careful, may not be 'easy' to get back in

I sold my sportscar 3 years ago, and I regret it every single day.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
OP, racing is alive and well. Its out in the streets. Sometimes roll, sometimes from a dig. 660 is the new king and you can bust out a quick cash days in an industrial complex.

Search for 660 street on youtube... best racing channel out there and tons of different combos. Most people are rolling Turbo LS due to simplicity and cost.

I sold my GT500 due to the large cost of making large amounts of Ford power. It was a fun car but I hated that peice of shit TR6060 and machine shop work on an aluminum 5.4 block was apparently such a huge specialty that few shops would touch it. Those that were willing wanted $$$$.

I readily admit, Im a poor. But when I see young kids taking any ole shitbox, stuffing an LS and a turbo into it, makes 700 whp and doing it on a budget that most guys spend on their GT500 blower upgrade... yeah Im down for some LS shitbox fun! And thats whats out there now. Sure theres Turbo Coyotes and Corvettes, but the real kings out there are LS shitboxes. Search for the LS powered shitboxes and you will find the racing.

OX1

Established Member
Gas prices are ridiculous. Our country, although a place I still prefer to live over other places, is headed in the wrong direction and it’s accelerating quick. Tuners and shops are on edge.

I’m not even on social media and I find my fervor for this hobby, in particular, and really anything else in general waning very quickly due to our society and culture. Racing is in the decline (has been for sometime now) but if the govt had its way (which it might sooner than we think) we would not even be allowed to race…all in the name of “climate change”.

I’m losing interest fast in this hobby as I see a very bleak outlook on anything that revolves around gas and the “climate change” agenda. I don’t even like putting gas in my damn car right now regardless of how much fun I get out of driving it and how much I love my Cobra.

Car cruises and car shows don’t seem to have the same feel as they used to.

Maybe this is all cyclical…maybe future elections will change it…maybe I need to step away from it all and gain some perspective…or maybe something else entirely.

I’m just not seeing the point of it all lately…
Lets say you use 200 gallons per month. Probably on the high side for almost anyone. Gas goes from 3-6$ that's $7200 extra per year. Whole bunch of people on this board that seem to drop $100K left and right, on car after car. By not doing that (myself), I'm saving $93K per year.

Zemedici

Established Member
Lets say you use 200 gallons per month. Probably on the high side for almost anyone. Gas goes from 3-6$ that's $7200 extra per year. Whole bunch of people on this board that seem to drop $100K left and right, on car after car. By not doing that (myself), I'm saving $93K per year.

Can’t take it with you man. What’s the point?

LS WUT

Established Member
Not very many things make smile as much as hearing a blower whine, and turbo blow off valves. I agree, my foxbody is going to be a budget build for sure. 306 stroked out, heads, cam, intake, and a single turbo. Should make around 450-460RWHP. Budget build is gonna cost me like $3,800-$4,200. That’s just for fun. I do admit I street race because we have a lot of open areas with nobody on it. I also have a local track to me. So I do both. We make time for the things we want. “If you want something you’ll find a way, if you don’t you’ll find an excuse”. I always find reasons to drive my cars around. I admit I have more than some. I’ve got about 7. Not including motorcycles. So it makes things challenging, however I enjoy all of them very much. Car meets are kinda a bust here. Mostly younger kids brappping away in their civic’s, and cambered FRS.

Blown 89

Established Member
Sell the car and get something cheap to race, actual racing, not lame open track days or timed racing.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There's always something going on around here. I know a few guys that race at night, but I'm not on their level.

Throw on the blower and swap to E85. Saves a few bucks and a little extra power. Win/win in my book.

And I'll probably wake the neighbors by driving my car to work tomorrow since we're getting off early and it's a long weekend.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OP’s new whip.
D3B501A0-46DE-4BF5-A531-3ED85146E9C8.jpeg

DaBigBone

Established Member
Happened to me last year, glad I didn't sell anything though. Took on some home projects instead and after winter was done the itch came back to drive it.

Give it a rest for a few months and see how ya feel

Recon

Established Member
All we can do is enjoy the hobby while we still have it. When it’s over it’s over, but smile because it happened. Hell I’m at pretty much at 10k putting 1960s tech and performance in my Impala and it’s not finished yet. But there’s just something about a torque monster carbureted big block. Hope you get back in the game before we loose it.

Sent from the twilight zone…

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Car shows are boring as hell imo.

I just do track days at road courses across North America and absolutely love it. If you have never driven your car on a track before, try it. It will give you a completely new perspective on sports cars.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The car scene in my area has been dead for 10+ years . I'm a car guy, nothing will change that.

About the worst time to buy cars and we bought 4 mustangs in the last 10 months...

Oh well.
8ee828891eb0c7df188cebe358c7430e.jpg
17419aaaa4ab1fc17fdb88ed612bba36.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

LS WUT

Established Member
The car scene in my area has been dead for 10+ years . I'm a car guy, nothing will change that.

About the worst time to buy cars and we bought 4 mustangs in the last 10 months...

Oh well.
8ee828891eb0c7df188cebe358c7430e.jpg
17419aaaa4ab1fc17fdb88ed612bba36.jpg

Once again, not many people can make me feel poor. However you did it again with your stellar garage, and stable. :)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
@LS WUT

LoL. Sorry and thank you! The wife still wants a 69 Camaro.... running out of room. The vert is hanging out in our single stall garage at the house for the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread