Loud pop in front..... (Not clunk)

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
I have had the front back together for about a week now. I installed the drop spindles, balljoints, control arm bushings, outter tie rod ends, clunk washers, factory springs and shocks... I am now getting a loud pop from the front end when I am moving slowley and turning to the left. It has done it about 3 time now. Anyone have any idea as to what it could be? It does it after about one full turn of the steering wheel... Just wondering if anyone knows what I should check first? I am at a loss.

Josh

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Something is shifting. Which I'm sure you already figured out. :rolleyes:

I'd try to double check that everything is tightened down correctly first.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I have that pop too, mine happens when I'm turning into where i work, there is a sorta steep up-hill drive way, only happens when i turn right.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Something is shifting. Which I'm sure you already figured out. :rolleyes:

I'd try to double check that everything is tightened down correctly first.

Ive double and triple checked mine :(
Sadly I get a pop when turning into our outta some parking spaces

I have that pop too, mine happens when I'm turning into where i work, there is a sorta steep up-hill drive way, only happens when i turn right.

When im on an incline mine gives an evil pop sound as well. My clunk washers have been checked and double checked...i cant figure it out either.

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
Subscribing,

I have a similar issue. Does yours pop under quick hard braking?

nope. It only pops when I am moving slowly and start turning the wheel. I am gonna check everything to make sure its all tight before I drive it again. I had to take it back because they had the steering wheel turned a little. I just hope its not anything that will cause the alignment to be off once I tighten it up or what ever I have to do...

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
Subscribing,

I have a similar issue. Does yours pop under quick hard braking?

Mine does, and while in reverse and turning the wheel to the right.
I have Herb's washers, greased steering stops and ball joints. What's so hard about the diag, is that the pop is not consistently repeatable.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Im almost positive is is my swaybar, im still using the stock end-links on my TVS

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
I never had this problem with the drop springs and I still had the factory endlinks.. I still havnt had a chance to check it all out. I will keep ya updated if I find anything..

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
Update...

It is my lower ball joints. The C-clips are almost sitting on the top of the control arm.. Why did Ford make them press in and then put the clips about a 1/4" away from the control arm?? Anyone had this happen and how did you fix it?

petermac

Established Member
mine made that noise since i got it... but only at full lock when going really slow

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^ That sounds like clunk washers.

Josh,

Where the ball joints very lose when you installed them in the lower control arm? I have had this happen with a few Navigators lately. The Ball Joint is not the same size. Crappy Q/C.

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
^^^ That sounds like clunk washers.

Josh,

Where the ball joints very lose when you installed them in the lower control arm? I have had this happen with a few Navigators lately. The Ball Joint is not the same size. Crappy Q/C.

They pressed in really ease but I thought it was good enough to hold it. What can I do to correct this? I have even thought about getting some pipe and cutting it to the length I need. Put it on the outside of the balljoint between the control arm and the C-clip.. Not sure if that would work though.

Users who are viewing this thread