Loud power steering?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The blower pulley has nothing to do with the power steering pump. Check the fluid level.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll have to do the same then. I checked the fluid and it’s super low. about an inch below the “low” level
I thought I was going to have to replace the PS pump, but changing it to high grade fluid did the trick. Best of luck

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah I didn’t know because it may slow it down
All of the pullies are driven by the crank. In order to slow the power steering down the crank pulley needs to be changed. However the power steering isn't even on the same belt as the blower.

Might be worth picking up a shop manual and doing some looking under the hood. I'm not saying that to be a dick. Just that having knowledge of these cars goes a long way in troublshooting.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Keep an eye out for it getting low again.

My line under pump will just leak at times than stop.

It’s a movable type line with nylon seal

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Update.

Sucked all the existing power steering fluid out. Replaced with valvoline. Loud noise is completely gone. Super smooth turning the wheel. Looks like problem solved.

If it's Valvoline PS fluid you used, take that crap out and put in a good ATF

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah it’s not very expensive. $5 quart.
But it fixed what I needed it to. If it bothers me then I could always suck it out again and put something else in

That's not the issue. The issue is that the system is designed to run ATF. More than likely the PS fluid is missing whatever the ATF has that the system needs.

Users who are viewing this thread