LOUD ticking on start-up. Dang. Let's see what it is!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Well, for the last couple of seasons, the Cobra has had an intermittent LOUD ticking on startup, and it progressively got worse. It only lasted for a half second or so, but this year got to the point where it was too much. So, this past weekend, she started going under the knife.

Parked up on ramps in 04 MysticMan's garage:

20160806_133959_zpsqnfusdg6.jpg

And at the end of Saturday evening:

20160806_190204_zpsovhg6mcr.jpg

Got to work on it some Monday and Tuesday night also. I figured while I was into it this far, I may as well go ahead and pull the Eaton off of her, and give all the internals of it and the intercooler a thorough cleaning:

20160809_193011_zpspv5oniu2.jpg

Tonight, with the help of 04 MysticMan and 2013 Laguna Seca, we got the timing cover off, and the cam covers off. Only one of them is off in this pic, but we did get the driver's side off before calling it a night:

IMG_20160811_185051_zpsjpvlsw0t.jpg

AND found the culprit for the ticking. Timing chain tensioner had a gasket failure, causing the tensioner to leak down when the car was turned off:

IMG_20160811_193902_zpsxwtm1wgm.jpg

Will be cleaning all the parts up and adding some new goodies when she gets reassembled.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Meh. Looks like every other Cobra I've ever seen.

:D

Always sucks when such a small failure causes a big teardown. At least it's an obvious fix. :beer:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Good find. I'd almost be angry it was something so small that caused that much work. lol

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Meh. Looks like every other Cobra I've ever seen.

:D

Always sucks when such a small failure causes a big teardown. At least it's an obvious fix. :beer:

This is very funny. Silver03, I have not seen many pics of your Cobra but this is one nice looking Silver Cobra. Looking forward to the updates.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think it's great that you found the problem, Doug, and that you found that the problem was a small one, literally. LOL. It's going to feel nice to start your Cobra up and for the first time in a long time not hear that annoying ticking noise. Nice that you had some helping hands with this, too. :rockon:

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I think it's great that you found the problem, Brad, and that you found that the problem was a small one, literally. LOL. It's going to feel nice to start your Cobra up and for the first time in a long time not hear that annoying ticking noise. Nice that you had some helping hands with this, too. :rockon:

Brad's car is broken, too???? lol

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Happy you found it. A lot of work to get too that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I wouldn't be pissed to find out it was a small problem, I'd be happy as hell to:

#1 - find the problem
#2 - it be a simple fix

Would be a helluva lot worse to tear it all apart and not find a damn thing.

FL Steve

Established Member
I currently have the same issue with the loud tick on start up. Thanks for sharing and pointing me in the right direction. I'll dig into it this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread