Low Coolant Light On, Coolant Level OK

RHershner

Hi All,

I’ve got a 1993 Mustang with a 5.0L. The low coolant light use to come on intermittently but has started coming on every key cycle. Coolant level in the radiator and overflow are OK, engine is not overheating. I tried cleaning the connectors on the sensor in the overflow, no change. I replaced the sensor, no change. I’ve checked the connector, good drag on female terminals (harness side). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Typical fox body problem. Cleaning the sensor may work for a little while, but the light will usually come back on. Unplugging it will keep the light off, just keep an eye on the coolant level. Many cars don't even come with a low coolant sensor.

My low coolant light was constantly coming on. I just took needle nose pliers and pulled the metal tabs where the connector plugs in. Looks factory, low coolant light will never come on.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Yup. Common issue. The sensors fail, and can be expensive to replace (especially an 87-89 sensor). Just unplug it to keep the light off and keep an eye on your coolant level. The light is only measuring the level in the overflow bottle.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, very common. Remove the sensor, clean the tabs, and make sure it is tight when reinstalling. Happens quite a bit with the SN95s too. A lot of times, the connection is just bad.

Users who are viewing this thread