Low Mileage Cobra- Drive it?

NGO

Established Member
Need some advice...

I bought my first '03 Terminator with 19,981 miles on it back in July. I love the car but I am afraid to drive it because I don't want to put miles on it and lower the value (has 20,890 on it now).

I am considering selling it and buying a high mileage replacement so I can put a few bucks in the bank but still have something that is fun to drive every once in a while (not my DD).

At what point does the mileage seriously affect value? What does the crystall ball say in regards to low mileage units holding value?

Thanks.

gtmustang00

Established Member
I made the mistake of buying a 9400 mile 98 cobra over 2 years ago. Drove it for 20 days straight and said f this. I'm going to park it so i don't ruin its value. If your looking for a driver, but something with miles on it. That's how i see it.

crazyhorse89

Established Member
I bought mine in March with 54xxx miles on it and love it. It's my dd for now and will someday be my garage queen when I find a decent beater. I'm a firm believer that these cars were built to be driven and enjoyed. Someday, regradless of the miles these cars will be hard enough to find and will all hold a good value. So if you feel wrong about driving it then get rid of it and find one you can enjoy. I keep all my stock parts as I can things to my likings but will hopefully be the last owner of mine.

Quagmire

Established Member
Cars are meant to be driven, if you are worried about it losing $$ dont even buy one. That said i bought mine with 19k on put 3k on it this year and going to put much more next year. I never like garage queens, who cares if value goes down as long as you have fun. in 3-5 years all these cars are going to be worth 15k-20k tops.

NGO

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I guess I am struggling with the fact that I could sell my low mileage car, pay off my wife's car loan and buy me a high mileage Terminator I can beat on :burnout:

Tkaugh29

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I guess I am struggling with the fact that I could sell my low mileage car, pay off my wife's car loan and buy me a high mileage Terminator I can beat on :burnout:

What do you consider high milage? The spread in price between your 20k mile car and a 100k mile car can't be that significant.

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Bought mine with Little inder 45k miles last year. And only drove it under 1k miles all year. Depends on what you want to do with it. In the end it is your decision.

NGO

Established Member
I was looking in the For Sale section and saw the one with 100,000 with a new motor (30K on it). Started thinking, I could sell mine and buy this one. High mileage to me means anything over 75K.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I Bought my Cobra 2 years ago with only 5k original miles on it. It was completely stock except for the exhaust.

I have put a few mods and 21k miles on it since then and it is NOT my daily driver.

I take it out every chance I can after work and on the weekends.

I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, then I will buy new wheels for it and drive it some more.:thumbsup:

Romans8:28

Established Member
I say drive it as much as you want, life is to short to worry about putting miles on a car. I am amazed at the soaking a lot of original owners have taken on their cars, whenever I read about a 03/04 being purchased with only 3, 5, 10K miles on it.

I can't even imagine spending ~15K to own/drive a car for less than 10K miles.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
You ought to drive it, because it is not like a less then 5000 mile car. The cars value is tanking faster and faster. So if you save it and sell it later, problem is the lower mileage is only going to be about $500 difference then a high mileage car.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
+2, I just bought mine. It only has 32,XXX and I don't even feel a little bad about driving it because I enjoy it so much.

yup screw mileage, i say...

the more miles, the more smiles!

now i have 102k on my original owner daily driven terminator :rockon:

i love driving this car :beer:

yeahyouknwit

Established Member
Bought mine less then a month ago with 23k on the clock. Already put 1k on it. I bought the car to drive it not to look at it. You will get views from both sides here so do what YOU want to do with it.

If John Coletti saw this thread OP, he'd come looking to whip you.

Seriously enjoy these cars. They will be an after thought very soon. Ford is coming out with some crazy mustangs and they are just getting crazier with the setups each year.

Users who are viewing this thread