Lowballing, need Opinions

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Rather than put up a poll Id thought I'd throw this out there for discussion

Lets say a hypothetical Cobra is going for 23k.
What would be a lowball offer on such a car. I would offer 21k and work from there. [ which is less than a 10% cut ] This is total make believe I'm just wondering what be insulting and what would be reasonable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're forgetting one important thing. The current market value for the car based on its condition, mileage and mods (or being bone stock). Other than that, I would offer something below what I'm actually willing to pay to allow for some negotiating. Why would a seller think an unacceptable offer is insulting? He would simply tell you he's looking for more money. And you then simply give him another offer. Eventually you'll hopefully reach a price you're both happy with. JMO.

Juruense

Banned
A proper lowball is meant to be insulting and throw the seller off their guard and out of their comfort zone. I would throw $19k out there to start myself... Especially if at a stealership I give those guys the extreme LOWBALL :rockon:

03Cobra1979

Established Member
A proper lowball is meant to be insulting and throw the seller off their guard and out of their comfort zone. I would throw $19k out there to start myself... Especially if at a stealership I give those guys the extreme LOWBALL :rockon:

I agree. It is not a proper lowball until you see the look on the guys face say. YOU HAVE TO BE Fin KIDDING ME! Then you have lowballed properly.

Dealerships though are fair game offefr him $10,000.00 and start from there.

powersof12

Established Member
What would you want done to you if you were selling the vehicle? I personally price my cars at the "good deal" price to help them move quickly plus not haggle with the buyer. I am not a car dealership and therefore get no enjoyment out of negotiations. However, some people play the dealership game and over price assuming to go lower.

GodStang

Established Member
Just because its below what he is asking for does not mean its low ball. I knew someone that was asking $45K for a stock Cobra with a solid axle. Had pretty high miles on it. Offering him $23K is half and is also low balling but it is a realistic offer. Ofer him what you feel its worth.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I don't like to play games with individuals. I'll lowball but it'll be just out of range. Not to make the guy mad. I've sold vehicles and if someone lowballed me enough I wouldn't budge on the price. That's just me though.

If it's a dealership I'll go just a little lower. Kind of a tease maybe.

Bockfipher

Established Member
When I bought mine 4 years ago, I made offers on a dozen cars over the course of 6-8 months and I never received one single counter offer. Some of my offers were within $500 of what they were asking, so I don't think I was lowballing. It was entirely frustrating at times.

It was a lot harder negotiating for this car than any other I have ever bought. I ended up paying a little more than I wanted to initially, but it was still market value and I found a car that had everything I wanted on it at the time, was well maintained, and I could verify its history.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
just offer with what you feel is within reason. If the person gets upset then move on.

Werd. When he gets no other offers for 2-3mo cause he's asking way too high, hell email you back and want to talk. Or he'll just not respond at all, in which case you move on.

I love selling on Craigslist to see what lowball offers i get. i had my 03 posted up at $18,500, and it was the lowest 03/04 on CL at the time, and the closest one wanted $22k for 55kmi, im at 72k and his was beat to hell and back. I always had "can you do $13,500 cash in hand" that i just lol'd at and sent to the recycle bin. Other offers like $17k i responded politely and stated i was firm at $18,500 and it was the lowest 03/04 on CL and that i would only be swayed around $500 lower given they could purchase the car before my next payment, and even at $18,500 its an insane deal for a California 03/04.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
On another site i participate on, we consider lowballs to be anything more than a 25% difference from the asking price. (we don't allow lowballing on our site). I'm not entirely sure why everyone thinks they should start negotiations with a lowball. It isn't an effective way to dicker as the seller knows you aren't really serious if you aren't making a competitive bid. (i've sold cars at a dealer before too). The only people you should be lowballing is dealerships that usually get the car for trade in value-not retail value, and you know that they've already stolen the car to start with, so we shouldn't feel guilty about offering them considerably less than their asking price.

As a private seller, i always price my cars at what i consider to be a fair price to begin with, and do not factor in negotiating room, if someone decides to waste my time with a lowball, i'll promptly tell them no thanks, and walk inside and shut the door on them. You have to remember you are also wasting the sellers time to be available for you to see the car for sale, and lowballing does not set the stage for serious negotiations, just sets the stage for a colossal waste of time.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm a firm believer that lowballin' is when you offer someone a very low offer without even seein' the car or over the telephone etc/via pms...my advice...start lower than 21,000 b/c usually through my experiences the buyer/seller meet in the middle, so 22,000 is around the corner...

YGETV8

Established Member
When I make offers, be them "too" low or not, I preface by telling the seller, "This is what I can afford" or "this is what your item is worth to me... I understand and no hard feelings if it's not what you're looking for out of it." It's polite, nobody gets mad, and there still may be room for negotiations if I really want it. I know I ignore people who ask no further questions or for pics and shoots me an offer for $.60 on the dollar!

twhitey

Established Member
If the asking price is to high I don't bother asking if they will take a reasonable amount. Which would be a low ball offer to them. I go by the 10 to 20% of asking price on new or 50% of new value for used parts.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Lowballing, that is offering 25-50% or more off the asking price is generally a sign that the potential buyer is not qualified and is uneducated in the areana that they are in (this assumes that the asking price is in the reasonable range). If you are serious about making an offer approach the seller with a reason(s) why you want to pay less.

Taking OP's example where the asking price is $23k, take the car to a mechanic, or inspect it yourself, come up with a list of what it will cost to fix paint chips, tires as needed, maintanence (was the 30k etc factory maintanence done?) does the driver seat need to be replace because of wear and go from there.

If you can only afford $15k this will prove to be the wrong car for you. If you are thinking that the car is worth $21k you are probably in the ballpark.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
If i was selling my car and you offered me $2k less than i was asking i wouldnt even answer your PM! Now within a $1k we might be able to work something out.JMO

twhitey

Established Member
I don't agree with email or over the phone low balling on a car. Atleast come look at it or ask some info before you shoot off a low offer

Users who are viewing this thread