lowered and getting onto a car trailer

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've been thinking about getting a cheap trailer. My problem is car is lowered with H&R SS springs. Any lowered guys have problems getting up onto trailers? I know a dove tail will be mandatory but any other issues? How long are your ramps and so forth?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I've been thinking about getting a cheap trailer. My problem is car is lowered with H&R SS springs. Any lowered guys have problems getting up onto trailers? I know a dove tail will be mandatory but any other issues? How long are your ramps and so forth?

2x4's, several in fact. The only way I can get my car on a trailer when the skinnies are on the front. I think the trailers I've used have 60"-72" ramps.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
2x4's, several in fact. The only way I can get my car on a trailer when the skinnies are on the front. I think the trailers I've used have 60"-72" ramps.

So how low are you measured at wheelwell center? Does it scape at going on?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I don't know man, I'll have to check. The car is extremely low with the skinnies on it. It does scrape sometimes if I didn't use enough boards, I always try to have somebody watching the front to make sure I have room. I'll get some measurements for you tonight.

jsucil89

Established Member
I just loaded my car in my enclosed trailer tonight and it was pretty easy. My car is extremely low with H&R springs and low pro 18" tires. The best method IMO is to find a parking lot with an elevated section or a hump, park your truck/trailer downhill of the elevated section so your ramp door opens directly on the apex of the hump minimizing the angle between your ramp door and the ground. It worked perfect for me.

03sm3341

Established Member
boards are your friend. I park mine on a 1x6 so i can get the door open.
DSC_0310.gif

DSC_0308.gif

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Best method I know is to back the TRUCK up some Rhino Ramps (plastic 6K capacity you buy at AutoZone etc). That puts a sever "dove tail" on your trailer and allows you to back racecars up on the trailer w/o special ramps or boards etc.

We'll see if this linky works, picked up my brothers new track whore last w/e this way and it works great on my Cobra no matter what trailer I use:

BMW E36 LS1 - Alpha car - Vorshlag Motorsports

ITL Cobra

Established Member
I have the same set up and I have an H&H trailer with removable fenders. I built small step ramps out of 10X12X2" boards. I spaced 20" between each step. from the side view it looks something like

If that makes sense. I left a 4" space extra on the 1st board for the trailer ramps to be placed on.

I got the idea from this article on mustang world

Mustangworld - Build yourself some ramps !

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
03sm3341 thanks for the pics. I think if i go with an open trailer I'll probably have to do something like that. Don't think an enclosed would be near the problem as their approach angle seems to be much less. Just wish i could swing the enclosed price.

iceracer

Meco Power
Established Member
I raise the front of the trailer up w/the jack on the tongue while it's still hooked to the truck. This gives me a better angle to get the car on, just make sure you block the wheels well.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I'm lowered and use a system of 2x4's also. Sucks when you're alone, but I suppose it comes with the territory.

Black306

Established Member
Best method I know is to back the TRUCK up some Rhino Ramps (plastic 6K capacity you buy at AutoZone etc). That puts a sever "dove tail" on your trailer and allows you to back racecars up on the trailer w/o special ramps or boards etc.

We'll see if this linky works, picked up my brothers new track whore last w/e this way and it works great on my Cobra no matter what trailer I use:

BMW E36 LS1 - Alpha car - Vorshlag Motorsports
That's what I do except I have an old, strong set of metal ramps. My car also has basically H&R SS springs.

Users who are viewing this thread