LubeLocker Gaskets Suck

Imatk

Established Member
Putting a new diff cover on this weekend.

A real pain in the ass to get the damn panhard bar off and on (anyone have tips on that to make it less like slamming your head into the concrete?)

Got everything buttoned up... torqued ARP bolts to spec and followed the pattern on the LubeLocker gasket.

AND it leaks.

Re-torqued bolts... AND it leaks.

It's not dripping out really, but when I get under there I can take my finger and run it along the bottom and it's got fluid seeping out the bottom of the diff.

First time I ever used one... thought it was a cool idea since taking off RTV can be a pain.

Now I get to do the job all over again... but with RTV like I SHOULD have done... something told me "No just stick with the RTV" but I tried to be fancy.

Thanks LubeLocker!

BOOCOCKY

Established Member
Bummer dude, I've used a lube locker gasket on my 8.8 and a 9 inch rear ends, no RTV, no problems. It seems obvious but did you make sure there are no burrs and the mating surfaces were clean before the install or the new diff cover doesn't have some sort of defect?

Imatk

Established Member
The diff was spotless and shiny.

The new cover looked fine to me, there wasn't any noticeable issues that I saw... it was brand new so I didn't look terribly hard.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, if you cleaned the surface really well, rubbing your finger the entire circumference, you shouldn't have experienced a leaking issue.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like the cover or the rear end may not be as flat as they need to be.

Imatk

Established Member
I'll be honest I didn't look too carefully at the new cover so MAYBE that's the problem?

I don't know.

I know for sure that the diff was clean and shiny. I even used a plastic scraper to make sure I didn't gouge the metal in any way. Went through two of the little plastic things since they don't last too long.

Users who are viewing this thread