Lund Ngauge vs Lund SCT

talonderiel

Established Member
Based on all the information I've seen for tuners for CJ Mannies, I've decided to go with Lund when I do my installs in a couple months.... So now I'm stuck between the SCT tuner or Lund's Ngauge. Is the Ngauge a better tool for Lund or just has a few bells and whistles over the SCT?

If anyone has personal experience with both, that would be awesome to hear about! This will be my first time with tuners/tuning, as my last mustang was a 93 GT. I just added bolt-ons and it drove.... like a bat out of hell!!

5lho

Established Member
Based on all the information I've seen for tuners for CJ Mannies, I've decided to go with Lund when I do my installs in a couple months.... So now I'm stuck between the SCT tuner or Lund's Ngauge. Is the Ngauge a better tool for Lund or just has a few bells and whistles over the SCT?

If anyone has personal experience with both, that would be awesome to hear about! This will be my first time with tuners/tuning, as my last mustang was a 93 GT. I just added bolt-ons and it drove.... like a bat out of hell!!

The only thing I think I'd question is buying the Lund-only NGauge. You can buy a non-proprietary one and other tuners can use it. Personally, I've used only the X3 and X4 and both are good tools for custom tuning and I like how their datalogging features work. I like the idea of the Ngauge but, I wanted the flexibilty of anyone I choose being able to use a tool like the X4 for tuning, whereas only some can tune using the Ngauge, afaik.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I almost got an ngauge but didn't because it is locked specifically to lund. The sct can be used by any other tuner should I change my mind down the road.

5lho

Established Member
Ngauge rocks compared to the sct. You can also unlock a lund Ngauge if that was ever required. SCT is junk imho.

That's a bit strong. The SCT X4 is a solid bit of tuning equipment and works extremely well, in its own way. It's not hard to use and its datalogging capability is strong. Depends on what you want and you can't really get it wrong either way. You get to download stuff to an SD card, I download it directly onto the X4 directly. Neither operation is hard. Setting up .cfg files for datalogging is pick and check and save, then load onto the X4. Takes minutes.

One more thing I like about X4 is if I want a bigger picture look datalogging, I can run the X4 as a pass-through and look at dozens of parameters on my laptop simultaneously.

Why would you buy a Lund gauge if you were ever going to unlock it later? Just buy the unlocked one to begin with.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
5lho I was just like you when I had my x3 and everyone was buying the ngauges, the ngauge hands down blows the x3 and x4 out of the water. You can setup the device anywhich way you want and no laptop in the car. If you have lund tuning the car then buy the lund ngauge, if you are having another tuner tune the car then you buy the HPT ngauge.

5lho

Established Member
5lho I was just like you when I had my x3 and everyone was buying the ngauges, the ngauge hands down blows the x3 and x4 out of the water. You can setup the device anywhich way you want and no laptop in the car. If you have lund tuning the car then buy the lund ngauge, if you are having another tuner tune the car then you buy the HPT ngauge.

I don't need a laptop in the car on the X4 either. It's just if I want to simultaneously monitor 30+ PIDs and look at them all at the same time that I do that. Otherwise, the X4 works much the same as it appears the Ngauge does. Its screen displays whatever 8 PIDs I choose to look at and I can change them to whatever PIDs I've set into the cfg file in the device.

The X3 did kinda suck without the laptop, because it had no backlit display and it was a really small screen in a really big device. The X4 is small enough to hold in your hand, like the Ngauge.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I don't need a laptop in the car on the X4 either. It's just if I want to simultaneously monitor 30+ PIDs and look at them all at the same time that I do that. Otherwise, the X4 works much the same as it appears the Ngauge does. Its screen displays whatever 8 PIDs I choose to look at and I can change them to whatever PIDs I've set into the cfg file in the device.

The X3 did kinda suck without the laptop, because it had no backlit display and it was a really small screen in a really big device. The X4 is small enough to hold in your hand, like the Ngauge.

Have you used an ngauge?

Multiple different things that it does differently, the ngauge loads a tune in a quarter of the time the x3/x4 does and holds damn near an unlimited amount of revisions/tunes not just the 10 spots.

5lho

Established Member
No, like I said, I chose x4. I felt the statement that it was junk was a bit extreme. The X4 serves well, does some things exceptionally and has better utilization by more tuners, like I described.

I do like the fact the Nguage loads faster. That'd be nice. I tuned the car twice today. Quicker means less risk of mixups or problems.

What I'd really love is a essentially a "flip chip". Something that would allow 1 button switching between tunes without rewriting would be cool. That's how it works on my drag bike. Position 1, n/a, position 2, nitrous.

Obviously, from what I've seen here, both products are great and there's a market for both.

jp1seattle

Established Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the Ngauge eliminate the need for a laptop to datalog?

I want to get an updated log to Lund but the old windows laptop I was using broke down on me. I'm debating now whether to get a cheap Windows laptop strictly for datalogs or something else.

I have an older SCT 3.

talonderiel

Established Member
I appreciate all the information so far! I'm still new to the tuning world aspect of these cars. I was originally gonna' do Bama, and Sai Lai lives near me too, but then read all the stuff on Lund being the kat for CJs. I will price a non-Lund Ngauge like 5lho suggested, just in case I want to try a different tuner down the road.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the Ngauge eliminate the need for a laptop to datalog?

I want to get an updated log to Lund but the old windows laptop I was using broke down on me. I'm debating now whether to get a cheap Windows laptop strictly for datalogs or something else.

I have an older SCT 3.

No worries on the hijack... I can use all the information we can get! lol

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yes, due to not having to download any additional software on the computer, just save file and transfer with usb cable.

5lho

Established Member
Yes, due to not having to download any additional software on the computer, just save file and transfer with usb cable.

That is confirm X2 as well. The SCT LiveLink DL and Updater software is Windows...and in a committed relationship to it :)

djclark

Established Member
No, like I said, I chose x4. I felt the statement that it was junk was a bit extreme.

I stand by my comment. No matter the metric - logging, updates - the ngauge is better. I've had/used both. Even from the standpoint the ngauge is useful when not being used to log/tune. My SCT sat on a shelf 99% of the time.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
I have used both the X4 and nGAUGE. For datalogging you CAN NOT BEAT the nGAUGE. Just tap the screen and go, tap when done. remove sd card, mount SD card in PC,drag/drop logs email to tuner... or connect usb cord to nGAUGE, drap/drop and mail to tuner... X4 will REQUIRE a PC/Laptop to data log the PIDS that AED and LUND require to tune (i have used both Vendors). The only thing i dont like about the nGAUGE is no KAM Reset or Crank Relearn... I am keeping my X4 just for that until the nGAUGE has that capability. HP Tuners has really changed the game with Ford tuning. Don't plan on going back to SCT anytime soon... As far as the Lund locked nGAUGE, if you want other tuners get the HP version. Lund doesn't really like to unlock his...

Users who are viewing this thread