MACA 2011 Calendar of Events

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Do they ever have open track days were you can just go mess around?

Sent from my IPhone 5

Not exactly. Any schools at SP or almost any road race course will require you to go out with an instructor first, since it would be bloody mayhem otherwise. :eek:

But one of the things NASA offers that I think is a great way to try it out is what's called HyperDrive. For $50, you get a classroom session and a session out on track. All out, as fast as you can drive-within the passing confines set up based on the number of drivers.

I don't know anyone that's tried it only once. Everyone comes back for more. :rockon:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Mess around, Yikes!

Hyperdrives are a great way to start. Once I started driving on roadcourses there was no going back to drag racing. Even if you don't get hooked, you'll have a great time. If I am instructing at the event I will also offer up a ride or two. Plus, where else can you go and see Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Vettes, Mercedes, as well as the American muscle cars we all love run on the same track. Not to mention most import models as well.

BTW. We usually have parties on Saturday night with free beer.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Mess around, Yikes!

Hyperdrives are a great way to start. Once I started driving on roadcourses there was no going back to drag racing. Even if you don't get hooked, you'll have a great time. If I am instructing at the event I will also offer up a ride or two. Plus, where else can you go and see Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Vettes, Mercedes, as well as the American muscle cars we all love run on the same track. Not to mention most import models as well.

BTW. We usually have parties on Saturday night with free beer.

By mess around I meant something kind of a like a test and tune. Just a day where you can get some seat time without any pressure. I want to take a trip up there this summer and give it a shot but I've never done anything like it before.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
By mess around I meant something kind of a like a test and tune. Just a day where you can get some seat time without any pressure. I want to take a trip up there this summer and give it a shot but I've never done anything like it before.

Hyperdrive would be your best bet. $50, no pressure, an hour of fun.
Its a great deal considering a typical weekend of HPDE runs $350 to $400 and up, depending on the group.
They don't really have any equivalent to test and tune because of the reasons stated above. But when you think of how we act on the go kart track together, you can see why. :eek:
Anyone interested PM me and I can direct you to the signup info.

There's also lots of info in SVTP's Open Track Racing forum.

Last edited:

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member

I'm new to road racing myself, so I signed up for Friday at the Track at Summit Point. It's $250 for an entire day of instruction and class time. I'm going out there the first weekend in May.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm new to road racing myself, so I signed up for Friday at the Track at Summit Point. It's $250 for an entire day of instruction and class time. I'm going out there the first weekend in May.

You'll love it! My first time out was a FATT, a long time ago-LOL.
They have great instructors, but sometimes they attract a couple yahoos in very fast imports. Watch out for them. :dw:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
I'll head up the ALL MACA GTG once more.

June 25th(sat) or 26th(sun), which ever would be better.

With Dwight gone, I don't know whether or not we will be able to get the same lot again. Hopefully he can reach out to his contact and hook it up for us.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member

With Dwight gone, I don't know whether or not we will be able to get the same lot again. Hopefully he can reach out to his contact and hook it up for us.

neither date works for me but it was a blast last year

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

Mustafa, they're finishing up that building now. John got a 10 year government lease for it. So that lot will no longer be available to us. We've had a great history at Hillandale, but with the exception of meeting points, I don't feel we'll be able to have any more events there.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Understandable. Well, we'll figure something out. Maybe we can still do something like the Half-way GTG... meeting up at the Maryland house and hitting a restaurant or something...

Maybe a public park.

Last edited:

IronTerp

The halfway GTG is probably not a good idea. There's not a strong northern interest these days. I think you should definitely do the All Members, just need to find a new place. I'd consider the old Giant parking lot in Burtonsville where the Sunday morning hot rod shows are held. Giant has moved across the street and there's hardly any businesses left there.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Last years gtg was in md. How about rotate it to another state. Maybe northern VA? :)

IronTerp

Last years gtg was in md. How about rotate it to another state. Maybe northern VA? :)
Do you have a place in Northern Virginia that is suitable?

Past All Members GTG's have been held in Maryland because the primary organizers and the majority of members that have attended the events have been from Maryland.

ATFPat

Established Member
Can't wait for the nice weather and meets. Even though it's around the corner, feels like this winter cold won't go away.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
The halfway GTG is probably not a good idea. There's not a strong northern interest these days. I think you should definitely do the All Members, just need to find a new place. I'd consider the old Giant parking lot in Burtonsville where the Sunday morning hot rod shows are held. Giant has moved across the street and there's hardly any businesses left there.

That would be a nice lot, there is defiantly a lot of room.

I might have to look into that hyperfest. Looks like a good time, and after the catoctin mtn cruise i have been in the mood for the twisites. And i would like to test out a few of the suspension mods i have added

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Understandable. Well, we'll figure something out. Maybe we can still do something like the Half-way GTG... meeting up at the Maryland house and hitting a restaurant or something...

Maybe a public park.

I definitely think the maryland lot would be suitable. Plenty of room and maybe we could all do a little cruise in there as well? possibly to a close park.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Hyperdrive would be your best bet. $50, no pressure, an hour of fun.
Its a great deal considering a typical weekend of HPDE runs $350 to $400 and up, depending on the group.
They don't really have any equivalent to test and tune because of the reasons stated above. But when you think of how we act on the go kart track together, you can see why. :eek:
Anyone interested PM me and I can direct you to the signup info.

There's also lots of info in SVTP's Open Track Racing forum.
I'd like to do the hyperdrive again, but need someone to tag along. Gets boring waiting around. Greg came by just in time to film this tool squirreling out right in front of me. It was really light with drivers last year. More instructors than participants.

NickF1011

Established Member
I have a contact at Waldorf Ford who may be able to assist us with parking for the GTG if that's not too out of the way for people? They built a brand new overflow lot next to the main dealer lot that I was told may be available for some weekend events. I can ask about it if anyone thinks that might work. They might even see it as an opportunity to incorporate some sort of official Ford or dealer involvement as well, which I can't see as being a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread