Mach 1 vs $ht box sti

Laztug

Established Member
We took a small road trip to Africa to find out if the Ebola hype was real.
While enjoying the scenery, we came across a nice sounding mach 1. We found a nice long empty Ebola free stretch of road and decided to let the cars breathe.:rolling:

sti has fart can exhaust and a tune.

[video]http://s106.photobucket.com/user/1970Mustang351c/media/09/20141004_235203_zpsiufu0jht.mp4.html[/video]

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
So let me get this right... You decided to "vs" a mach in a "shit box sti" by digging it to 90 and not showing them and ending the video?! lol. Typical awd owner We all are aware the sti will have launch then what happend when the video ended? 90 to 120 I'm positive the mach would have pulled back on you if you continued unless your pushing a big turbo vs a stock mach I would love to see same race at 100 roll hell even a 60 roll

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
So let me get this right... You decided to "vs" a mach in a "shit box sti" by digging it to 90 and not showing them and ending the video?! lol. Typical awd owner We all are aware the sti will have launch then what happend when the video ended? 90 to 120 I'm positive the mach would have pulled back on you if you continued unless your pushing a big turbo vs a stock mach I would love to see same race at 100 roll hell even a 60 roll

Agreed

We all know these RWD Mustangs need DRs to launch that hard. Dumping the clutch at 4-5k in an AWD car will obviously net you a win to 60-70 against stock rubber RWD

Last edited:

Laztug

Established Member
A 100 roll! Got dang!! Easy there Toretto!
The sti has exhaust and a tune. Factory motor turbo and semi truck shifter.
Put down over 315 awhp. Injectors / fuel pump will be next on the list.
The race was over.....there was no way the mach was going to recover from that. Lol
The car has surprised many people and before you label me a typical mustang owner. Know I love mustangs, I have owned a 93 03 72 own a 70 12.......aaaaand a 15 on order.

Sti has gone 13.06 1.7X @ 104, that is respectable for any street car in the 1/4 imo. (I am sure the pos has more in it) The fact that it can replicate those numbers in the street makes the car that much more interesting.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
That Mach should've been reeling you back in even stock at 90 where you let off but it looked like it was wayyy far back. Driver mod needed on Mach?

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member

Not rooting for the STI, but the Mach clearly wasn't going to catch back up, unless they were racing to 130.

Laztug

Established Member
This turned into mustang5 real quick! Roy, I am sure he got nervous and got throttle happy.
What are these cars running with radials at the 1/4?

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
That didn't even look like the Mach knew there was a race. Not being sarcastic.

Ran my stockish STI against a friends 98 Cobra (a poster here) for funsies many years ago. Think they were from a roll but point is, he'd always get the jump on me with the instant V8 torque and then I'd reel him in with 4th-5th I think? My understanding has been that turbo cars are better in the top end when they can just hangout in the boost and shoot the shit. Also the STIs have short ass gears.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
A 100 roll! Got dang!! Easy there Toretto!
The sti has exhaust and a tune. Factory motor turbo and semi truck shifter.
Put down over 315 awhp. Injectors / fuel pump will be next on the list.
The race was over.....there was no way the mach was going to recover from that. Lol
The car has surprised many people and before you label me a typical mustang owner. Know I love mustangs, I have owned a 93 03 72 own a 70 12.......aaaaand a 15 on order.

Sti has gone 13.06 1.7X @ 104, that is respectable for any street car in the 1/4 imo. (I am sure the pos has more in it) The fact that it can replicate those numbers in the street makes the car that much more interesting.

60,80,100 rolls are typical around my area.

Not rooting for the STI, but the Mach clearly wasn't going to catch back up, unless they were racing to 130.

I was under the impression they were, road was open enough then video ends at 90 and he didnt show the mach since 50-60 mph i was like wtf?

This turned into mustang5 real quick! Roy, I am sure he got nervous and got throttle happy.
What are these cars running with radials at the 1/4?

No, its just the fact that you shut off at least before quarter mile using all of your cars advantages and not allowing the mach to use its advantages over you. Also not showing the car at the end of the video is a fail, im 99% sure he was pulling on you at that point if he was still in it. Low low 13 is about what a stock mach can run in the quarter with not a single mod or tire change. Same times in the quarter that you mentioned your car runs above Im not sure if you understand this or not but the reason your times are so close is because all the stock or close to stock sti time in digs are gained in the beginning with its AWD launch and the mach pulls back and passes after hooking. Im sure if the quarter were a half mile the sti would be bus lenghts back at that point. 60 or 80 roll i think we would all see an instant pull from the mach.

Btw Cool that your appreciate mustangs enjoy that new '15

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
Eh, I wonder if the Mustang let off though. Judging by how far back he was when the camera swung back to him, there was no catching up at that point. A 13 second quarter is pretty common these days. My truck can get in to the 13s most days. (I only have 2WD, so some days traction is a bitch)

That said, remember, a stock Mach 1 from that era were probably 15 second quarter mile cars though, and part of the issue, as it seems to be still common today with Mustangs, is traction.

Users who are viewing this thread