Mach 460 tweeter doesn't work after multiple replacements. What next?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The driver's door tweeter just stopped working. I put in a replacement and it didn't work. I got another set that were tested prior to install and they worked. I put them in my car and they didn't work. Could it be the amp or the radio? The rest of the system works fine, just the driver's side tweeter won't work.

The passenger side tweeter works fine if that matters at all.

Thanks.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I haven't checked the amp. I didn't know if it was possible for just 1 channel of the amp to be bad since the passenger door tweeter works fine. I didn't have a lot of time to take it apart this weekend. I figured I'd pull the head unit and that way I can check all of it at once and try to find the culprit. Wiring in the door is good, but I haven't had time to check anything at the radio or the amp.

desertt5

Established Member
Yes, it is possible for one channel to for dead on the amp. Could also be wiring, as mentioned. If you have a meter you could possibly rule out wring very fast.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I do have a meter and I'm going to check it all this weekend. If it is the amp would I benefit at all from installing and a/m headunit? It's my understanding that you can run a headunit with a couple harnesses, but you still need to keep all the amps. I read on Crutchfield and they said the tweeters were run of the factory radio, then I read the mach 460 info page on flemworld.com which said the factory tweeters are run by the amp behind the radio. All the threads I searched through google all lead me to believe you still need to run the amp behind the radio for the tweeters.

Does anyone know which site is true?

desertt5

Established Member
I am pretty sure the tweeters are run by the amp. I was using the weird looking adapters that let you use an after market HU with the factory amps. Had a rear amp die and now use the factory wires with no amps. I just used aftermarket component speakers. Actually sounds tons better, not sure if it is the 15 year old speakers or older amps that sounded worse. The only amp in the car now is for the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread