Mach1 probs. vs Cobra probs

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
k i wuz just wondering what were the problems with the mach 1 and the cobra. so far i know these

Cobra : Shifter is messed up or something.

Mach 1 : umm i herd something about shaker getting wet or something wet with the shaker.

Anything else tat i dont know?

O and y cant the mach 1 get a S/C?

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
No shaker issues whatsoever....haven't even heard of anyone else having them....

Yes you can supercharge, juice, or turbocharge a Mach....all have already been sucessfully done...

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
No major problems with the Mach1's.
There are some minor ones such as: rattling noise from shaker (easy fix), noise from passenger seat (common problem on all '03 stangs), and crapy shifter/transmission problems w/ grinding(very evident in cold weather).
Then there are a few quality issues like paint and whatnot.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I have owned both and so far I like the Mach better(overall driving pleasure and seating position/shifter). The shifter in normal driving is light years better than the Cobra's stock shifter. I think both cars have had the left cylinder tick prob that is supposedly fixed in the later ones made. I know alot of Cobra's have this problem..my Cobra didnt. Over heating issues with some Cobra's...clunk in the IRS drivetrain....pulling to one side....vibration around 80 mph. Passenger seat rubs door....Throwout bearings go bad and ruin tranny shaft in 6 speed.....stalling while driving....but....all those known probs I see online with the Cobra....mine..my dad's and my mom's 03 Cobra's had none of those issues.... all have Steeda Tri-ax shifters now with adjustable clutch quadrants via firewall adjuster too. Thats really the only must in a Cobra and most likely any Mustang..is an aftermarket shifter and adjustable clutch quad. For now my Mach is staying 100 % stock.I have done the mod thing pretty heavy with my 03 Cobra and just need to take a break and enjoy the Mach 1 for what she is.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Last edited:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Those are referring to the gears that are used in the rear axle.

A stock Mach1 comes with 3.55:1 gear. Installing a 4.10 or 4.30 gear would produce better acceleration (but worsen gas mileage).
The number means that the axle will turn 3.55 times for every single turn of the rear wheels. (in neutral)

To confuse you even more, there are similar gearings in the transmission. For example, the Tremec 3650 (Mach1/GT tranny) has a first gear ratio of 3.38. So it can get pretty complicated...

Last edited:

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
So the higher the number better acceleration? like 4.10 is better then 3.55.1 and 4.30 is better then 4.10? How much of a acceleration r we talking about? is it 0-60 acceleration or overall acceleration? How dose the Gas mileage worsen would it go down like 17 city to like 15 city? or drop to like 16 because i think lower then 16 is pretty bad.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
The proof is shown in before and after timeslips with the gearing upgrade. Do a search, alot of Cobra guys have posted their results with the gearing.

The mileage thing is not quite black and white. So I can not really say for sure how much extra you will spend on gas. It really depends on your driving, city, city with some highway, or mostly highway.
If you do mostly city driving then I'd say you will see decrease in mileage, but if you do mostly highway then you might not see a decrease at all.

voodoo96743

Established Member
Originally posted by Tony_Montana87
So the higher the number better acceleration? like 4.10 is better then 3.55.1 and 4.30 is better then 4.10? How much of a acceleration r we talking about? is it 0-60 acceleration or overall acceleration? How dose the Gas mileage worsen would it go down like 17 city to like 15 city? or drop to like 16 because i think lower then 16 is pretty bad.

IDK what the mpg drop would be, but it is caused by an increase in rpms. With 3.55:1's in 5th gear at 75mph you would be at about 2,100 rpm. By increasing the rear end gear ratio, it moves up the rpms at all speeds, so you would be running at higher rpms, thus less fuel efficiency. Thus 4.10's in 5th at 75 would equate to about 2,400 rpms. 4.30's would be about 2,550 rpms.

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
My gas mileage actually improved with the 4.10 gears. Went from 18mpg to 20mpg, could have just been the fact that my car was breaking in or the addition of the MAC catback. I still average 20mpg and I have over 15,000 miles on my car.

Tomcat427

Established Member
So how much would it cost to change to 4.10?

Gears $169
Instal $195
Gear Oil $21.75
Speed Cal $99.95

The speed cal corrects the speedo. If you get and automatic you will propably be better off going with a chip. If 5-sp you can get a chip or correct the speedo with the speed cal.

Tomcat427

Established Member
Originally posted by Tomcat427
Gears $169
Instal $195
Gear Oil $21.75
Speed Cal $99.95

The speed cal corrects the speedo. If you get and automatic you will propably be better off going with a chip. If 5-sp you can get a chip or correct the speedo with the speed cal.

Another thing to think about is getting a FRPP aluminum drive shaft. $169

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
So gears + drive shaft ? Drive shaft dose what? How bout a fly wheel and cluth wuts a fly wheel do? How much do you guys think it would cost to get a independent rear axel on a Mach 1 , like the cobra has.

Tomcat427

Established Member
So gears + drive shaft ? Drive shaft dose what? How bout a fly wheel and cluth wuts a fly wheel do? How much do you guys think it would cost to get a independent rear axel on a Mach 1 , like the cobra has.

An FRPP aluminum drive shft is better balanced and lighter. Somtimes after a person goes to 4.10 gears a slight vibration will occur above certain speeds. I can not say I have personally experienced this since I installed the FRPP drive shaft with the gears. I can tell you I have not had any type of vibration problem.

If you want the IRS like the Cobra then I would suggest buying the Cobra.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Mach 1 issues... Just ask the dealer to order a new A/C compressor when you buy the car. That way they will have on ready when it goes out! It will fail(mine did in 100 miles).

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Btw the Mach 1 CAN get a S/C. I've got one and it is so fast it's stupid :D I'll post pics soon! Vortech is currently making a kit as we speak!

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
k i wuz just wondering what were the problems with the mach 1 and the cobra. so far i know these

Cobra : Shifter is messed up or something.

Mach 1 : umm i herd something about shaker getting wet or something wet with the shaker.

Anything else tat i dont know?

O and y cant the mach 1 get a S/C?
Did you come over from BON?:shrug:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Originally posted by Road Racin'
Mach 1 issues... Just ask the dealer to order a new A/C compressor when you buy the car. That way they will have on ready when it goes out! It will fail(mine did in 100 miles).
That's funny, you're the first to ever mention that the a/c comp. had to be replaced on any Mach1. :dw:

What were the symptoms before you had to get it replaced? Just the ordinary a/c thump???

Users who are viewing this thread