Made a couple of tweaks and new #'s

blacksnake305

Established Member
so I thought some might be interested. Over the winter I decided to add a little power. My goal was a modest 500rwhp. I run a little non-IC'ed 1.7l Kenne bell. At first I began to put together the parts for an intercooler, and even though many would think its the best path, it was too much hassle and money for me to get excited at the prospect. So after much research, I decided to go with the AIS progressive methanol kit. The feedback I read was generally positive and I like the approach the kit takes (preeminent was the MAF based signal input to the controller).

So I will say one negative thing about the kit (keeping things completely objective). Although Rodney was very helpful when I could get him on the phone (as he was moving from Ohio to Cali when I was calling), the documentation that came with it was far less than desirable. This lack of concise documentation delayed my progress and was frustrating. Rodneys said he would address it going forward.

Ok so after getting the "To-Do's" sorted out, I began by dropping the tank, adding two stainless bolts up from the trunk (with wing nuts). I used two stainless sheet metal screws toward the back seat as I ran into the framerail and boxed metal areas that I could not access.
DSC03967.JPG

With the controller, I decided to keep it back there with the tank and used industrial velcro to attach it to the tank. It was great, as I didn't want to add it to the glovebox or in the engine bay:
DSC03968.JPG

Also, since you can't tell in the pic, I raised the entire tank about 1.5" off the carpet. I wanted airflow all around the methanol pump (which is attached to the tank underneath).

I "Loomed" all wires and ran both the stainless fuel line and wire loom thru two frame rail access points. I then brought them together and ran them down the body of the car:
DSC03969.JPG

I also wanted a pump activation LED and a low fuel level LED. Rodney provided both. I put them out of my way, but within reach of a quick look:

DSC03970.JPG

My original plan was to run pure meth with a modest 1lb (1/8th) pulley swap. So Rodney provided two 10gph nozzles (i believe). After not being able to find a 3" pulley for the KB, I bought one new. I thought I was running a 3 1/8 pulley, but when I pulled it off, i discovered it was a 3 1/4. After talking to Lidio (at alternative auto) about the error, he said I might see as much as 2.5lbs. And I actually ended up seeing about 3.5lbs. Amazing. So much to Rodney's disappointment, I ended up using the AIS kit for 'safety' more than for power. I let the pulley take care of the power, as I really didn't want to push the drivetrain considering i'm running the venerable 3650 tranny. Anyway, so below is a pic of the nozzles:
DSC03973.JPG

Now onto the good stuff: since I was pushing 12psi now (up from just under 9psi), we actually left the timing completely alone and didn't lean the fuel out much. Those that know Lidio, know he tunes for safety. That's one of the main reasons I keep coming back.

Stats:
Timing at WOT (variable but generally 13-14 degrees).
Gas A/F: 10.6:1 from 4-6k and 10.2:1 from 6-7k
12psi
Inlet temps as measured by the IAT post-blower: consistent 150 degrees.
The image is not the best, but she went from 470rwhp to 516rwhp with the blower falling a bit flat from 6-7k. My thought is that its simply too rich, not enough timing or my 1.7l is simply running outta steam. I can say that if were would have leaned out the primary fuel a bit, i'm quite sure 525rwhp was in her. But both Lidio and I choose to leave her nice and safe considering the heat of summer has yet to arrive. The Idea is that I can beat this thing up all day long at an Open Track event without batting an eye. For Lidio and I its safety first. And most importantly, I picked up almost 70hp/60rwtq in the midrange (even though she gives up some of those gains over 6k)...

With all this said, I do wonder if this is the highest numbers from a 1.7L Kenne Bell???
dyno%204-18.JPG

It runs great, its safe and I'm happy (transmission not withstanding... LOL).

blacksnake305

Established Member
Impressive, but what happens if you run out of meth

the tune automatically pulls about 4-6 degrees of timing (based partially on IAT temps [post blower]) and all is safe. So she will just feel sluggish, but no blown motor. Also she's pig rich right now which helps since its not exclusively relying on meth for the gains...

safety was the gameplan.... :burn:

Also, its a 3 gallon tank, the meth is only used upon reaching about 6lbs of boost. And I have a low level light. It will be very hard to run out considering I'll prolly go thru 6 gallons all summer.......

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
the tune automatically pulls about 4-6 degrees of timing (based partially on IAT temps [post blower]) and all is safe. So she will just feel sluggish, but no blown motor. Also she's pig rich right now which helps since its not exclusively relying on meth for the gains...

safety was the gameplan.... :burn:

Also, its a 3 gallon tank, the meth is only used upon reaching about 6lbs of boost. And I have a low level light. It will be very hard to run out considering I'll prolly go thru 6 gallons all summer.......

Unless you're not a lead foot, you'll be surprised how fast the meth gets sucked up. My buddy is constantly filling up his tank, although it's not a 3 gallon one. But still, you get what I'm sayin lol. Atleast you got the backup plan with the automatic timing pull in the tune

blacksnake305

Established Member
Unless you're not a lead foot, you'll be surprised how fast the meth gets sucked up. My buddy is constantly filling up his tank, although it's not a 3 gallon one. But still, you get what I'm sayin lol. Atleast you got the backup plan with the automatic timing pull in the tune

I hear ya, and I'm thinking you may be closer to the truth than I realize. Even so, I'll be sure to keep an eye on her.

thanks!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
nice!

i make 468/414 with the 1.7ico and 11psi pulley ( 13-14 degrees of timing and i see about 9.5psi after the intercooler)

i wish i knew you needed a pulley...i have a couple at home lol

as for going flat about 6500...mine does it too

Last edited:

blacksnake305

Established Member
nice!

i make 468/414 with the 1.7ico and 11psi pulley ( 13-14 degrees of timing and i see about 9.5psi after the intercooler)

i wish i knew you needed a pulley...i have a couple at home lol

as for going flat about 6500...mine does it too

oh well on the pulley. thanks though. NASVT is telling me my cams 212 duration is to blame. I don't really know...

Users who are viewing this thread