Mail Order Tune Accuracy

Sirraf

Established Member
How good are the mail order tunes you get from VMP or another reputable vendor? I don’t know of anyone near me that deals with Ford too much, so it makes me leary to let them tune my stuff and jack it up. Does anyone have any bad experiences with mail order tunes? I would probably use Justin at VMP since he seems to have a good rep.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Remote tuners will have you data log your car and email you a proper tube according to the information they gather. They won't be able to get downstream exhaust info, but they can get the tune very close to perfect using air/fuel ratios and other numbers provided through the data log.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Established Member
I know one of the tuners for Lund and bounce stuff off him. I am not usually one to do a mailorder tune, but he tells me he does a bunch of 800+ cars daily. He said usually within a single or 2 revisions they are done. I am just gonna have him do my car this time. He has a 1200WHP S197 personally too.

If you check Lund, ask for Brandon. Or I can message you his name to message on facebook to bounce stuff off him to get a feel for his experience before pulling the plug.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on mods. Most of the simple bolt on stuff are not that challenging - CAI, smaller spectrum of throttle bodies (twin bores), injectors, pulleys. With a 2012, you can data log it so it can be tweaked further without needed a dyno, but you have to do it on the street. VMP is fine. If you want more personalized tuning and attention, talk to @VNMOUS1.

96gt02

Established Member
Look into BJ McCarty and venomous tuning, way better service then you will find any other remote tuner.

kosovobandit

Established Member
I know some tuners remote tunes are good. I have had personal experience with on specific tuner that has been mentioned here and they didnt want to listen or waste their time with me. Kept on telling me my fuel quality was bad went and had the car dyno tuned and it made 20 more rwhp and torque over that tuner. My recommendation is if you do remote go to VMP, BJ at Venomous tuning, or Palm Beach.

96gt02

Established Member
^ sounds like Lund lol, famous for this behavior

96gt02

Established Member
interesting. This is something of some concern for me, but the fact that I know the one tuner and he is local this doesn't bother me as much, but still concerning to hear.

Honestly I think Lunds biggest issue stems from them being so popular, they just cant give you the attention you might need, they have most of their basic setups nailed down im sure but anything that requires a little more seems to have issues.

kosovobandit

Established Member
Honestly I think Lunds biggest issue stems from them being so popular, they just cant give you the attention you might need, they have most of their basic setups nailed down im sure but anything that requires a little more seems to have issues.

I would tend to agree but the setup I have is very simple. The tune they gave me dropped off at 5k and torque was not all that great it started to drop at 4 to 4500. My tune now the torque curve is flatter and builds power until 6k. The tune was fluff and just not to what i would expect from them. As i said though they blame fuel quality and sent dyno graphs of E85 cars hunting I need to go that route. Also said when I changed throttle body or other items like t stat or exhaust I dont need a revision. It's already there they said. I had basic mods. Pulley, jlt, the. Went heat exhanger l, throttle body, boost a pump, 170 t stat.

97cobra...

Established Member
I went with BJ at venomous tuning , and aside from the car running like a rapped ape his customer service is some of the best I’ve ever seen. I would definitely recommend his services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Established Member

I agree that could happen and likely does. I had that same concern with using them and in my dealings with my local guy I made mention I don't want to be screwing around for 3 days of back and forth waiting on revisions. He said once I have him on it we can bang it out in an hour or so.
As far as the tune not being quality, that is even more concerning. Wonder who the other dude had as a tuner there? Wonder if that makes a diff

PM-Performance

Established Member
I would tend to agree but the setup I have is very simple. The tune they gave me dropped off at 5k and torque was not all that great it started to drop at 4 to 4500. My tune now the torque curve is flatter and builds power until 6k. The tune was fluff and just not to what i would expect from them. As i said though they blame fuel quality and sent dyno graphs of E85 cars hunting I need to go that route. Also said when I changed throttle body or other items like t stat or exhaust I dont need a revision. It's already there they said. I had basic mods. Pulley, jlt, the. Went heat exhanger l, throttle body, boost a pump, 170 t stat.

Do you remember who there tuned it?

PM-Performance

Established Member
Agreed with posts on lund. Another unhappy customer here. Going to spend another 800 this spring for a tuner that will fix my issues
thats shitty to hear. I literally just bought an ngauge to monitor, but was gonna have then retune the car when i turn it up. I guess on the positive note its already tuned and making power, but I wanted to turn the wick up.
Who did you deal with there?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
How good are the mail order tunes you get from VMP or another reputable vendor? I don’t know of anyone near me that deals with Ford too much, so it makes me leary to let them tune my stuff and jack it up. Does anyone have any bad experiences with mail order tunes? I would probably use Justin at VMP since he seems to have a good rep.
Feel free to reach out to me for an honest assessment of your options. 90 percent of the custom tuning that I provide is "remote". In the past week I have tuned vehicles from Hawaii to Qatar, all from our offices in Inverness Florida.

352-800-4407 9a-5p eastern Monday through Friday

Www.venomoustuning.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

50stangpower

Established Member
thats shitty to hear. I literally just bought an ngauge to monitor, but was gonna have then retune the car when i turn it up. I guess on the positive note its already tuned and making power, but I wanted to turn the wick up.
Who did you deal with there?

Yolo, but "sr. Looked at it too", who knows, I'm just cutting my losses at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread