maintenance advice on new L

88 347 stroker

Established Member
just picked up an 01 lightning for a great price. It has been well taken care of but the only down side is it has 80k miles. It runs good and shifts fine but I wanted to know what I should do maintenance wise to make sure it stays that way. Plugs wires injectors and so on. the truck has only been lowered and thats it for mods. its bone stock. I know it's a truck n not a Honda but I'm only geting 13 miles a gallon on the highway. Is that normal for a lightning? Thanks for the help in advance.

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
I use to get around 13-15mpg before my mods now its closer to 10mpgs or less. If it were me I would change all the fluids and throw in a new fuel filter. Thats what I did when I bought my stock 03 I changed the coolant, trans, rearend, oil, and threw in a new air filter and fuel filter that way I know everything is fresh and full. Good luck with the L man and good luck stopping the mod bug when it bites :D Matt

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Yep, 13 mpg is the around town normal. As for plug wires, we have Coil packs for each spark plug. If you decide to modify it at all. Get ready to un load your wallet of any money you thought about having...

MJG

Established Member
Clean your intercooler, put on an Oil seperator, replace all your fluids i.e. rear diff, tranny blah blah blah, fuel filters are needed to be changed VERY often, i do mine every 2nd oil change

LSUstang05

Established Member
13mpg for the HIGHWAY is not normal. I am modded (4# lower, full exhaust, ported blower, and some other minor stuff) and the most I've seen on the highway is 15.3mpg. Being bone stock, you should see more than 13mpg on the highway.

88 347 stroker

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I took my L to a friends shop to get it aligned and found there is a small oil leak from the rear head gasket on the right head. A little oil is falling on to the exhaust manifold so I’m going to have to get it replaced soon. Ill prob do all the maintenance updates while the shop has it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread