Major Mod | The Whipple Supercharger for the 7.3L Godzilla V8 is Here

Fordfourlife

Established Member
How long before ford supercharges one factory and throws it in the Raptor? Im real interested to see how it will handle towing 20k over a extended period of time, if they can get the heat under control it will be a home run imo.

lhill1995

Established Member
I don't think there will be an issue with heat. they are using the larger intercooler. with the super duty there is plenty of room for a large heat exchanger and even a killer chiller for down south. I remember the 454's and 8.1l engines getting supercharged and having no issues towing. I even know a welder that has a supercharged 8.1l in his welding rig. he still drives it and pulls his 5th wheel with that truck. I'm sure he is well over 20k lbs.
just to add, I plan to get an extended cab dually stx 4x4 with the 7.3 and supercharging it next year if work doesn't crash due to this damn virus. I plan to pull 20k or more lbs with it from time to time whether it be equipment or hay. honestly I don't see why I would be pushing it that hard very often. so long as the transmission still downshifts it's not like you will be pedal to the floor. ftl didn't seem to have a hard time holding 60mph up ike with 16k lbs in tow in stock trim.
just my thoughts. however I am always up to hear someone else's experiences.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great article and video, Sid. I will bet a whole lot of truck guys are going to salivate and drool after hearing about this awesome combo. Yep!
upload_2020-3-27_18-43-21.png

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't think there will be an issue with heat. they are using the larger intercooler. with the super duty there is plenty of room for a large heat exchanger and even a killer chiller for down south. I remember the 454's and 8.1l engines getting supercharged and having no issues towing. I even know a welder that has a supercharged 8.1l in his welding rig. he still drives it and pulls his 5th wheel with that truck. I'm sure he is well over 20k lbs.
just to add, I plan to get an extended cab dually stx 4x4 with the 7.3 and supercharging it next year if work doesn't crash due to this damn virus. I plan to pull 20k or more lbs with it from time to time whether it be equipment or hay. honestly I don't see why I would be pushing it that hard very often. so long as the transmission still downshifts it's not like you will be pedal to the floor. ftl didn't seem to have a hard time holding 60mph up ike with 16k lbs in tow in stock trim.
just my thoughts. however I am always up to hear someone else's experiences.

If there's enough room for the factory air-to-water intercooler system for the PSD I'm sure Whipple will be fine.

john11gt

Established Member
Blowers are cool but anything can make tons of power with forced induction. I want to see some NA stuff. Show me some trick flow heads and a super victor. Big bore or stroker stuff? Higher compression? Cmon

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Blowers are cool but anything can make tons of power with forced induction. I want to see some NA stuff. Show me some trick flow heads and a super victor. Big bore or stroker stuff? Higher compression? Cmon

Might be a while. There's only 1 exhaust option (MBRP) out for the 7.3L right now. I'm waiting for Borla and Corsa to get in the action before I decide on an exhaust for my beast.

john11gt

Established Member
Might be a while. There's only 1 exhaust option (MBRP) out for the 7.3L right now. I'm waiting for Borla and Corsa to get in the action before I decide on an exhaust for my beast.

I kinda figure as much. Everyone just wants to boost engines nowadays, which is cool and all but all of the engines will make enough power to be useless on the street. Boost makes a ton of power but is pretty boring imo.

lhill1995

Established Member
yeah boost can make more power than is useful on the street but i think the whipple will go great in a dually you plan to tow with. it will not have to be cranked up to make useful power for towing, and the duals will help with traction for a fun truck to drive when unloaded. Plus with that setup, even with a heavy load, you will never need that much power when towing, but all the extra torque will make towing much nicer. it will be interesting to find out how well it will do and last. I plan to run the whipple setup with a free flowing exhaust and a cam similar to stock just with a tighter lsa. also I will give my rings the proper gap for the setup.
if you're interested in seeing non boosted performance from this engine revin Evan on YouTube has some videos where they did some minor port work, headers, intake manifold, and a cam. then hit nearly 600hp on the engine dyno.
also 5star sells some headers for it on their site. they are 1 7/8" primary with 3" secondary or you can get them with a 2" primary. the stock manifold are 1 7/8" primary as well.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Any final numbers for the 7.3L Super Dutys?
Love the blower in red. Nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread