Making of the Ford GT Video

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 Making of the Ford GT Featured.jpg
Full Throttle
A Ford Performance video highlights the Ford GT design team
By Steve Turner

We now know that the stunning Ford GT was created in a secret lab in the corner of a basement at Ford. While it seems fitting that a supercar wild enough to serve as the Dark Knight’s ride would be created in cave, a new Ford Performance video shines a spotlight on men behind the car that has attracted the desires of red-blooded car enthusiasts all over the world.
Continue reading →

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
Love it, I am luckily one of the few that was selected to be on the design team for the interior of this beast. It has been quite a ride so far working on this car and working down in the secret lair, but it is something I will always look back in my career for many years as a big highlight.

I am not in this video but I have made it into a few others about the design development of this vehicle but it is good to see some of my co-workers that really made this car happen get put into this video.

EditorTurner

Established Member
Wow. That will be an amazing career highlight to reflect on.

Major kudos to you and the rest of the team. Thanks for creating such an amazing machine!

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
Thanks! It is really fun seeing all these videos come out from the studio in the basement. This kind of detail inside of a locked studio like this that only 20-30 in the entire company even have access to is very rare in the automotive world.

Last edited:

EditorTurner

Established Member
Yes, what you and your team pulled off was quite a feat in the modern world. There were whispers of a new Ford GT, but when the covers came off at NAIAS, it caught the automotive world off-guard.

Ford really stole the show this year with the GT, GT350R, and Raptor.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
Yes, what you and your team pulled off was quite a feat in the modern world. There were whispers of a new Ford GT, but when the covers came off at NAIAS, it caught the automotive world off-guard.

Ford really stole the show this year with the GT, GT350R, and Raptor.

Thanks a lot! It was really fun being inside and knowing the onslaught that was coming for the Detroit show. It was rather scary before the Detroit show working on the GT show car because we could not even tell our other co-workers that we were working on this car because of how secretive this car was even on the inside of the company. It has been a sigh of relief being able to talk about it and tell family and friends about it without the thoughts of getting fired for accidentally saying too much.

EditorTurner

Established Member
I'm sure that was stressful. What amazed me is that they showed it to the employees and their families the night before the big reveal and NOTHING leaked out. In this day and age, that is pretty impressive.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Well done, what was you specific focus, or just about everything interior oriented? Car is amazing. Hope to meet you when The GT rally comes to Dearborn this summer.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
I'm sure that was stressful. What amazed me is that they showed it to the employees and their families the night before the big reveal and NOTHING leaked out. In this day and age, that is pretty impressive.

I was there on that night before the auto show reveal with my parents and GF. I will always remember that night because for many many months I kept telling little white lies to my parents and GF to try and push them away from the thought that this car was coming out. They would always try to bother me about rumors they have heard on the internet but all I could say is that I am working on something "special." Bill Ford and Mark Fields did not roll the car out until the VERY end of the presentation and when the car actually rolled out it was a big surprise to everyone. That is something I will never forget.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
Well done, what was you specific focus, or just about everything interior oriented? Car is amazing. Hope to meet you when The GT rally comes to Dearborn this summer.

Thanks!

My specific function is actually building the feasible surface in CAD with design intent. I am the one the works with the stylist/designer and takes his 2D sketches and actually builds the real 3D geometry that get put into the production tools that everyone sees (called Class A Surface). I was primarily tasked with building/designing/engineering the steering wheel, switches, paddle shifters, and shrouds for this car, but I did work on a lot of different interior parts for that show car vehicle that was built specificity for the auto show.

EditorTurner

Established Member
That must have been awesome—and a huge relief. I remember talking to the Mustang designers when they first showed the 2015 to the media and they were so relieved they could finally talk about it.

I hope Ford had someone documenting the whole GT process for a book, because it's one for the ages.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Thank you for the elaboration, the team has done a great job. I knew it was coming so made a special trip from Boston to see it Thursday evening at NAIAS. It's amazing. Pm sent.

Users who are viewing this thread