MANUFACTURER BUY BACK (AKA LEMON) VEHICLES

Blackoyote

Established Member
So, a local dealer to me (Capital Ford, Charlotte) has a bunch of 15+ S550 Mustang GTs for what appear to be great prices...but they're ALL MBB vehicles out of CA, supposedly because they couldn't pass emissions requirements.

I have no issues with rebuilt/salvage titled vehicles at the right price, but I've never considered an MBB.

Is going rate on these the same .70 on the dollar as any other branded title vehicle?

For reference:
Vehicle Showroom | Capital Ford of Charlotte NC Capital Ford

SHOdown220

Established Member
Interesting I knew there was a dealer somewhere around here that specialized in buy back vehicles but I didn't realize capital ford did. I think it really depends on why it was bought back, I think they have to release the reasons to you and the repair order history. I'm not sure how california is but what vehicle that new fails emission testing? There is a reason NC switched to safety inspection for the first 3 years instead of emission.

I would consider one if the deal was right and all the documentation was present, some people just bitch their way out of a vehicle for problems that don't really exist, or sometimes the problem would be something that doesn't bother me. There is a guy on youtube that has some videos of him looking at/buying these vehicles at a local ford dealer.

On a side note, good luck trying to get their service department to work on a car, I sent a customers car to them recently for a check engine light and after a week they still hadn't touched it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Interesting I knew there was a dealer somewhere around here that specialized in buy back vehicles but I didn't realize capital ford did. I think it really depends on why it was bought back, I think they have to release the reasons to you and the repair order history. I'm not sure how california is but what vehicle that new fails emission testing? There is a reason NC switched to safety inspection for the first 3 years instead of emission.

I would consider one if the deal was right and all the documentation was present, some people just bitch their way out of a vehicle for problems that don't really exist, or sometimes the problem would be something that doesn't bother me. There is a guy on youtube that has some videos of him looking at/buying these vehicles at a local ford dealer.

On a side note, good luck trying to get their service department to work on a car, I sent a customers car to them recently for a check engine light and after a week they still hadn't touched it.

Very good point on warranty work...no tech wants to get dinged when it comes back over and over again.....

Blackoyote

Established Member
Yeah, I've heard their service department is awful...a coworker of mine bought his 15 GT new there and he said any warranty related work is like pulling teeth.

Luckily, as I understand it, any manufacturer related warranty work can be done at ANY dealership, so I'd go to Crossroads out near me.

I'm inclined to believe the salesman who told me it was emission related after looking at most of the Carfax reports. The only one that looks like a lemon due to time spent in a shop is unfortunately the one I'd REALLY want (18 PP car).

SHOdown220

Established Member
Yeah, I've heard their service department is awful...a coworker of mine bought his 15 GT new there and he said any warranty related work is like pulling teeth.

Luckily, as I understand it, any manufacturer related warranty work can be done at ANY dealership, so I'd go to Crossroads out near me.

I'm inclined to believe the salesman who told me it was emission related after looking at most of the Carfax reports. The only one that looks like a lemon due to time spent in a shop is unfortunately the one I'd REALLY want (18 PP car).

To be fair none of the ford dealers I've personally dealt with in this general area have a very good service department. Crossroads I haven't dealt with though. As a service advisor myself I try my best to make my visits easy by knowing when to schedule, dropping the vehicle off, pre ordering parts and in general just being pretty easy going as I know how tough the job can be. That being said cloninger, hillbish, town and country, parkway, and capital ford have all dropped the ball in one way or another in the service department for me personally. I don't think I even want to own another ford product that may have to visit the dealer since I can't seem to find a dealer in the area worth a damn lol.

*edit* Parkway ford at the lexington location did take care of me though with a (thankfully) quick fix when I had an issue and stopped in with no appointment.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Do those MBB cars come with any factory warranty or are they sold as-is?

MFE

Established Member
My understanding is, California's lemon law is SO consumer-friendly, e.g. only four repair attempts are required to fix the same issue (two if it's likely to cause harm), that people are using it as a get-out-of-payments-free card. They get buyers remorse or they realize the car note is too big, they make a Lemon Law claim.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this a stand-up, dealer, - member, - person, or what ??????????

Eh, I like you guys haha

My understanding is, California's lemon law is SO consumer-friendly, e.g. only four repair attempts are required to fix the same issue (two if it's likely to cause harm), that people are using it as a get-out-of-payments-free card. They get buyers remorse or they realize the car note is too big, they make a Lemon Law claim.

Fact.

Users who are viewing this thread