Manufacturers Forcing Dealership Upgrades Question | ???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This might be a question best answered by @13COBRA. It's pretty well known that manufacturers force dealers into remodeling their facilities, or build new ones from scratch, on an annoyingly frequent basis. However, I know of a handful of dealerships that are in their as-built 1970'ish configuration. They are all located in southern small towns (in city limits). I've heard rumors that the manufacturers will leave you alone as you try to upgrade and the municipal officials will not approve the permit applications. Word has it that a local GM shop owner (one of the 70s era buildings) has a buddy down at the local permitting office that just rejects every plan he submits for him. Anyone heard of a situation like this?

I personally like seeing old school small-town dealership. I prefer doing business with them over a suburban sprawl mega-store.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This might be a question best answered by @13COBRA. It's pretty well known that manufacturers force dealers into remodeling their facilities, or build new ones from scratch, on an annoyingly frequent basis. However, I know of a handful of dealerships that are in their as-built 1970'ish configuration. They are all located in southern small towns (in city limits). I've heard rumors that the manufacturers will leave you alone as you try to upgrade and the municipal officials will not approve the permit applications. Word has it that a local GM shop owner (one of the 70s era buildings) has a buddy down at the local permitting office that just rejects every plan he submits for him. Anyone heard of a situation like this?

I personally like seeing old school small-town dealership. I prefer doing business with them over a suburban sprawl mega-store.

Could be true, but doubtful.

Most small town stores that have been around for 45+ years, are more than likely under different franchise agreements. These agreements are much more lenient towards the dealer and make it MUCH harder for the manufacturer to force anything on them, as long as they are generally doing an ok job.

I would bet that the dealership you're referencing falls under that category...because if GM wanted the dealership to upgrade, and the plans kept getting turned down by local municipality, GM would step in and find out what needs to be done in order to get approved.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Could be true, but doubtful.

Most small town stores that have been around for 45+ years, are more than likely under different franchise agreements. These agreements are much more lenient towards the dealer and make it MUCH harder for the manufacturer to force anything on them, as long as they are generally doing an ok job.

I would bet that the dealership you're referencing falls under that category...because if GM wanted the dealership to upgrade, and the plans kept getting turned down by local municipality, GM would step in and find out what needs to be done in order to get approved.

So the rumor was they were using historic significance as the excuse.

They must do pretty well to have survived the various purges over the years.

AF1QipNVnm7CsKeIL25HH2NJDLi1oyocFnNASBMuvSys=s680-w680-h510

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I guess if they're in a certified Historic District, that truly could be the case.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

I think that is kind of a cool looking retro place.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree, that is retro and cool. We have a retro Ford dealership in town. They were established in 1976. Very small, family owned dealership. They're great folks and have a lot of repeat in-town customers.

226894453_4280818518700183_8424471443225780423_n.jpg

SHOdown220

Established Member
Some of these dealers are getting crazy nice. Ours is in major need of an update but management has been putting it off. I went to a local competitor of the same manufacturer and was blown away how much nicer it was in service, nice coffee machine, free water and snacks, free smoothie bar with muffins and whatnot. Big TVs leather recliners you name it looked like a comfortable place to hang out

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Way Scarff Ford has been around since 1922 and I don't think they have remodeled much for decades. I worked there when I was 17 and drive past it every day and it looks the same as I have always remembered. Definitely has that 70s/80s design going so I'm guessing that may have been the last time they remodeled.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Local hometown Ford dealer Tenvoorde Ford, oldest Ford dealer in USA, just finished a complete redo.

Users who are viewing this thread