Marine Select Reserve

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
My enlistment is up in November, and I'm getting the hell out of Twentynine Palms and going back to Oklahoma to get my Mech. Eng. and Aero. Eng. degrees at OSU. My buddy was telling me that the select reserve has some decent bonuses, depending on which MOS you choose, and that it's pretty skate for the most part, compared to active duty as an 0352. Anyone know much about the select reserve and bonuses? I figure it's an extra wad of cash, and an easy side-job while I'm attending school. I've already deployed (OIF 08-1) so another deployment wouldn't bother me. Would probably want to go into a POG field, to get a higher bonus, and actually come out of the deal with some tradeskills. "Highly skilled in anti-armor warfare" doesn't do much on a resume in the civilian world...

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I talked to a kid today and he said that the Marine reserves have never been called into duty. Not sure if he's 100% but that's what he told me. He was going in as an air traffic controller.

soniclightning

Established Member
Not to scare you but I talked a buddy into joining the marine reserves so that I could car pool with him. He got deployed 6 months later to Iraq. He just got back last weekend.

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Not to scare you but I talked a buddy into joining the marine reserves so that I could car pool with him. He got deployed 6 months later to Iraq. He just got back last weekend.

LOL. Iraq is a shithole. But we had fun while we were there. It's like going on vacation now, except hotter, and it smells like ass.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
If you still want to stay sorta active with the military(marines) i think you should call this guy....ssgt colon, ulises, hes a prior service recruiter...tell him your situation and ask him what he can do for.....(806)747-1277

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
While a few Marines in the SMCR don't get deployed the odds of getting deployed are pretty high. If getting deployed is is something you want to avoid then you should seek employment elsewhere.

GL

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you still want to stay sorta active with the military(marines) i think you should call this guy....ssgt colon, ulises, hes a prior service recruiter...tell him your situation and ask him what he can do for.....(806)747-1277

bwhahahahahahahahah phonetically is that pronounced SSG Useless Colon?

FWIW the marine reserves HAVE been called up for deployment. Frankly I think anyone who gets out in this economy is not making the wise choice. but that is just me.

usmcrebel

Established Member
FWIW the MARFORRES has done 45% or 47% of the combat deployments my unit just got back from the second time in 4 years.
I would give anything to go to combat but i can barely carry my 19 mo old daughter at this point.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I talked to a kid today and he said that the Marine reserves have never been called into duty. Not sure if he's 100% but that's what he told me. He was going in as an air traffic controller.

The "kid" is definitely mistaken. Marine Reserves get deployed ALL THE TIME. Both as Individual Augments and as units. Joining the reserves to avoid deployments would be like going to a bar hoping not to drink.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
The "kid" is definitely mistaken. Marine Reserves get deployed ALL THE TIME. Both as Individual Augments and as units. Joining the reserves to avoid deployments would be like going to a bar hoping not to drink.

+1 there deploying reserves like crazy right now and throwing them in shit positions... my ass is leaving for a-stan june 11th...for 420days...doing convoy operations... im an Information systems Tech in the navy reserves and there giving me army ACU's and sticking me with a national guard unit doing convoys (might have something to do with volunteering for mob doing any rate cause ive been bored).. i dont give a shit, but it just shows, everyones going... a friend of mine in the marine reserves just got back from iraq and my friend in the marine corp active duty is in japan...lol

Last edited:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
yeah, I don't think I'm gonna stay in. I've got too much other stuff I need to get done the decade to risk wasting a year overseas. I'm gonna use my MGIB and get an education.

FiveSpeed

Established Member
Going on 3 years as a Navy reservist and I haven't seen any activity as far as being mobilized. Now I can sign up and have my ass shipped out ASAP if I wanted.

Edit: Forgot to add that I drill with Marines and as said above...

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
The only way you aren't going to be deployed as a reservist is to be put on the stand by reserve. And if you are going to be an active reservist than that is certainly out. I understand you not wanting to deployed based on the fact that it will disrupt your college plan.

On the flip side, the new GI bill pays bah so you can get some dough that way and avoid the headache all together.

Users who are viewing this thread