Mass Production before official power numbers released?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I was at the Indiana SAAC Shelby Spring Fling last weekend and Ford brought an early preproduction 2016 Mustang GT black package. We know that Ford has promised to build a very limited quantity of 2015 GT350 and GT350R's. Ford's reluctance to release the official power numbers for this car is getting downright laughable. I figured they were just waiting on the release for the new Camaro to rain on its parade, but when the Camaro coming out party was over and we still heard nothing but crickets from the Ford camp... Well, what in the world are they waiting for? At this point you kinda wonder what they're waiting on. We'll have production cars on chassis dynos before Ford tell us anything official.

dynasty_365

Established Member
Camaro just released. They will release numbers soon I'm sure. I'm expecting a horsepower boost on the gt with the revealing of numbers on the gt350

Voltwings

Established Member
There's a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through when it comes to getting anything "approved."

hognutz

Established Member
It's my fault. everytime I want to buy a new model of a car the manufacturer drags there feet with specs.

If they are really building 2015 models though this could be the closest I have ever seen delivery to actually anouncing numbers. Wile I agree there are hurdles to building something the fact that they anounced the car in november and want to produce it in this model year seem kind of late coming with the info.

I guess by july they have to anounce something since that's when production shuts down for 2015 I think.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well, you know Chevy hasn't released anything about the '16 Z28. Those cars are obviously going to be direct competitors and if Ford drops numbers too soon on the GT350, that gives Chevy the chance to tweak and tune the Z28 for a higher output. HP sells. I'd be very interested to see those two chop it up on a road course.

Anyway, if we follow Ford's past with the HP difference between the Mustang GT and the top tier Mustang (and bearing in mind that the 5.2 V8 is NA), the GT350 will probably come in between 510 - 530 HP. Torque will probably be barely over 400 to maybe 415 foot-pounds. We have a general idea already, and it's nothing stellar. The most important unknown at this point is how much it will weigh. And with the amount of blubber the Camaro has lost, it's going to be real tight for the GT350. It'll probably still best the Camaro competition, but it's all over for the lesser Mustangs until 2025. Let the persistent beatings and frustrations commence.

hognutz

Established Member
Well, you know Chevy hasn't released anything about the '16 Z28. Those cars are obviously going to be direct competitors and if Ford drops numbers too soon on the GT350, that gives Chevy the chance to tweak and tune the Z28 for a higher output. HP sells. I'd be very interested to see those two chop it up on a road course.

Anyway, if we follow Ford's past with the HP difference between the Mustang GT and the top tier Mustang (and bearing in mind that the 5.2 V8 is NA), the GT350 will probably come in between 510 - 530 HP. Torque will probably be barely over 400 to maybe 415 foot-pounds. We have a general idea already, and it's nothing stellar. The most important unknown at this point is how much it will weigh. And with the amount of blubber the Camaro has lost, it's going to be real tight for the GT350. It'll probably still best the Camaro competition, but it's all over for the lesser Mustangs until 2025. Let the persistent beatings and frustrations commence.

chevy really only has one option for the the 2016-2017 Z???. the lt4. if they build it it will proabably outperform the gt350 just based on 650hp>520 but the body style looks like turds to me so far.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I regularly peruse the California Air Resources Board as well as the EPA's site to see if the certifications have been granted yet. I just checked the "On-Road New Vehicle and Engine Certifications" moments ago. Ford doesn't have approval yet.

jlauth

Established Member
I'm getting a bit anxious and frustrated as well. I'm ready for numbers and for some mags and drivers to get this thing on the track. I can only watch the camo GT350 at the ring so many times.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I regularly peruse the California Air Resources Board as well as the EPA's site to see if the certifications have been granted yet. I just checked the "On-Road New Vehicle and Engine Certifications" moments ago. Ford doesn't have approval yet.

thanks for the bookmark!

mike.s

Established Member
I agree, I wanna know how much this thing is gonna cost so I can start shopping for one at msrp or decide if im gonna go another route

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I don't think GM can justify the diversion of resources for a dedicated engine program for the Camaro. They're busy catching up on aluminum trucks and improving their abysmal QC. I agree with whoever said LT4 for the next super-Camaro and the cooling system will have higher capacity with the Camaro's larger front-end, so no overheating issues ala Z06.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Which is why I'm still surprised by the 15 MY. Ford is not close to releasing the GT350.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Which is why I'm still surprised by the 15 MY. Ford is not close to releasing the GT350.

random thought...they mentioned special VIN. I wonder if the '15s will be sold through Shelby or in a manner that doesn't require the emissions testing?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They are either street legal as per CARB/EPA or they are not. They are not in the Boss 302S/Boss 302R/CJ category (serialized but no VIN) and as such they require certification. My sense is that you will see those approvals fairly soon.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
random thought...they mentioned special VIN. I wonder if the '15s will be sold through Shelby or in a manner that doesn't require the emissions testing?

Even if sold through Shelby they would need legal cert to be a legal street vehicle. I'm guessing the special vin is 15, 50th ann.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I don't think GM can justify the diversion of resources for a dedicated engine program for the Camaro. They're busy catching up on aluminum trucks and improving their abysmal QC. I agree with whoever said LT4 for the next super-Camaro and the cooling system will have higher capacity with the Camaro's larger front-end, so no overheating issues ala Z06.
GM has more engines in the works trust me. At the same time they trademarked the LT4 nameplate, they also trademarked the LT5 and L88 nameplates. L88 is a legendary 427 and the LT5 was the DOHC C4 ZR1 engine.

That is pending of course the recent lawsuits and judgements don't cripple them.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
If they come out with a new LT5 in the same vein as the original, I'll probably buy a GM product. That, or a successor to the LS7, but everything that I've read about them developing a new DOHC or 7.0 said that they just couldn't make it reasonably better than the LS7 with CAFE and some other issues. They said that they tried variable cam timing and direct injection on a 7.0, but they couldn't make significantly more power while keeping it legal.

The LT5 and the LS7 are the only GM motors I give a crap about. So, if they surprise me with something similar to them, they'll have my attention. Maybe they'll really hit it out of the park and make a high-revving, DOHC 7 liter. I'd jump ship for that in a second.

Users who are viewing this thread