Mattress time!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The wife has got a wild hair that we need a new mattress.

Currently, we have a sleep number bed. It's about 18 years old and I've had to replace the bladders once. Also had to replace the pump. Not really impressed, but it is comfortable. It has developed a "ridge" down the middle, hence the need for a new bed.

There's got to be a bazillion mattress makers out there. And, of course, they all promise the best nights sleep you've ever had. One even said it had a lifetime guarantee. My wife looked at the fine print, it's pro-rated, so about 5-10 years in, you're S.O.L

So, what's the choice out there? What do you have and are you happy with it?

C2tuck

Established Member
I hate, HATE buying bedding. We’ve gone through 3 in the past few years and the one I have now isn’t that great.

We stayed in a cabin at Broken Bow a couple weeks ago, and the mattress there was the most comfortable I’ve ever slept on in my life! Ripped the sheets off and started googling it up and it was discontinued, company sold and the new owners changed it up.

Told her to call the people that own the cabin and offer them a couple grand but she thought I was kidding apparently and didn’t do it…

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my son a Thomas Cole mattress recently. It's pretty damn nice.

I like memory foam in the winter. I find that stuff awesome for sleeping on my side. But that foam is so damn hot in the summer. It retains plenty of body heat.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my son a Thomas Cole mattress recently. It's pretty damn nice.

I like memory foam in the winter. I find that stuff awesome for sleeping on my side. But that foam is so damn hot in the summer. It retains plenty of body heat.
Yeah, I'm really hesitant about memory foam. Hotter than hell. I see some that claim to be temperature controlled. Not sure how well they work. I like it cool when I sleep.

I remember staying at a Westin years ago. That bed was really comfortable. I wonder what they use?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm really hesitant about memory foam. Hotter than hell. I see some that claim to be temperature controlled. Not sure how well they work. I like it cool when I sleep.

I remember staying at a Westin years ago. That bed was really comfortable. I wonder what they use?
I'd like to find one that has the squish and conforming properties of memory foam but that stays room temp through the night through passive cooling.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My parents bought a Temper Pedic more than 10 years ago and couldn't handle it so it they gave it to me essentially brand new and I have had it since. I think it is starting to wear out but it is still one of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on, and every girl I have brought home agrees lol. They are worth checking out but they also weigh about 300lbs I swear. Had to carry it a short distance to my new place once and it damn near broke my back doing it.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Our gest bedroom has a Kingsdown Celestial mattress. It's about 13-14 years old and is still like it was when new. I really like it. Due to my work schedule, I sleep on it 3-5 days a week.

For our bedroom, we have an Ethan Allen mattress. I don't recall the model, but it is very comfortable and easy to over sleep. This one is about 9 1/2 years old and still like new. * it's the Duet model *

Both mattresses are on the pricier side, but well worth it. I have no regrets.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
I sleep on a Boyd soft side semi waveless waterbed....I used a waterbed of types since 1982. filling and unfilling is a pain in the butt but nothing is more comfortable for me.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I sleep on a Boyd soft side semi waveless waterbed....I used a waterbed of types since 1982. filling and unfilling is a pain in the butt but nothing is more comfortable for me.

I'm familiar with the old school ones, with no bladders. Talk about temperature control, nothing beats a water bed. I slept in one (like a rock)for 10 years. I tried to talk the wife into trying a waveless, no bite.

7upstang

Established Member
Well, we just settled on a Sleep Number bed. Trying to research for a bed was damn nightmare. Everyone makes the "best" mattress. Figured I could at least adjust my comfort level with the sleep number. Most of the warranties are pro rated, so pointless.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
my wife and I went shopping for a new mattress about two years ago..

We looked at sleep number, $8k+, went on Sleep Number's Facebook page, 90% of customers hate their mattress.

We checked out Personal Comfort, same pricing, people on Facebook hate their mattress too.

Eventually got to Purple, checked out their Facebook page, 99% of people loved their mattress. So we bought a Purple #3. Then we went on Amazon and got a Leggett and Platte adjustable bed frame with USB-C ports, LED lights, Vibration, ETC. We spent about $5k and are totally happy.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'll have to look up what brand my mattress is but it's by far the best I've ever had. Got it 4 years ago and it's still like new. It's a cooling memory foam mattress I got from Mattress Firm. I sleep extremely hot and it keeps me cool all night and it's extremely comfortable. I got an adjustable base with it too. The only problem with it is it makes me hate sleeping on anything else lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We bought a premium mattress (Somerset King Firm) a couple of years ago. Tried a few from the big selection at the mattress store and thought this one was the best (and expensive). Fast forward to today and I'd say it's "okay" but not close to the one we slept on Saturday night in a Maine inn. Buying a mattress can be really difficult. If we were looking for one today, I'd be calling the inn to get that mattress info, or I would have written it down while we were there.

There's a company in New Haven that has a mattress fitting system (BridgeIT) where you lie on it and it uses laser technology to make a recommendation based on your pressure points and how you sleep. It still, though, have found the best way is being fortunate to stay in a hotel with a bed that's superb for you. Get the manufacturer and model and see if it's available. Heck, I'd pay top dollar for a mattress that gives me optimal sleep conditions.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Our gest bedroom has a Kingsdown Celestial mattress

some of the best mattresses I've ever had were Kingsdown but certainly not cheap.

Im thinking about getting a cheaper but decent mattress with a really nice pad/topper and see how that goes.

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
TempurPedic here for almost 15 yrs and it is still in great shape. My wife and I still comment that it was probably the best purchase we have ever made. A couple years ago we also added Luxeome weighted blankets, and would highly recommend this as well.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
We have a sleep number and I doubt we will ever switch to something different. I need a firm mattress and my wife prefers to sink into the frame. I'm a 90 and she sleeps at a 45. Way too much disparity to go with any other kind of mattress and have us both happy.

hotcobra03

Established Member
My wife forces me into a new bed,
Been on a California king waterbed for 40 yrs,

She has a bad back,

Went with tempipudic hybrid, king size full mattress with adjustable base,

It's been 6 months and just starting to like it.
Should have went with California king ,feet hang over at times

Wasn't cheap

Users who are viewing this thread