Mattress time!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
some of the best mattresses I've ever had were Kingsdown but certainly not cheap.

Im thinking about getting a cheaper but decent mattress with a really nice pad/topper and see how that goes.
What's the average price of the Kingsdown?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I tried to find an alternative to a sleep number for us two times now and failed, for the money it fits our needs and accommodates us both the best. Wife and I used a Sleepnumber Queen with a standard base for 12 years, only issue was the remote finally gave up the ghost after dropping it about 1000 times. Every time we went to tweak the sleepnumber we pass out and bounce the remote sooner or later, happened so many times we dont even hear it anymore.

Upgraded to a Sleepnumber King with the fully adjustable base (~$9K) 3 years ago and are just as happy with it even after the sticker shock, have only used the adjustable bases a couple of times so the jury is still out on that feature. It adjusts the sleep number on its own now so the remote has held up just fine this time around, also has a bunch of worthless sleep monitoring, apps and crap like that if youre interested in that kind of stuff. Kept the Queen and moved it to a guest bedroom, everyone that has tried it so far loves it. Theyre pricey but its worth it to us.

If you havent checked out a new sleepnumber bed lately they have all kinds of new options that you may not know about. Looks like you can get heated foot beds now for instance.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
We went through this song and dance and ended up with a doctors choice eurotop from Denver Mattress.

I do have to give props to the sales guy, he definitely seemed more interested in getting us a mattress we both liked vs making money. We were there for probably 2 hours trying different mattresses. Once we dialed in what we both agreed on, he had us try their house brand which was designed after the one we liked and 1/3 the price. He even gave us 10% off.

I really like the mattress, my wife can pretty much sleep on anything but she really likes our tempurpedic in the guest bed. I just can't sleep on that thing.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
We went through this song and dance and ended up with a doctors choice eurotop from Denver Mattress.

I do have to give props to the sales guy, he definitely seemed more interested in getting us a mattress we both liked vs making money. We were there for probably 2 hours trying different mattresses. Once we dialed in what we both agreed on, he had us try their house brand which was designed after the one we liked and 1/3 the price. He even gave us 10% off.

I really like the mattress, my wife can pretty much sleep on anything but she really likes our tempurpedic in the guest bed. I just can't sleep on that thing.

Same experience here. Bought a Denver mattress probably 8 years ago now and it's been stellar! Price wasn't ridiculous either. I think mattress was around $1500.....I'd buy another one in a heartbeat tomorrow.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What's the average price of the Kingsdown?

my last one was a looooong time ago and I swear I think it was 2-3k back then. Exwife wanted something different last time.

theres an original mattress factory outlet or something down here where they make their own right here, will probably check them out as well

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
My wife forces me into a new bed,
Been on a California king waterbed for 40 yrs,

She has a bad back,

Went with tempipudic hybrid, king size full mattress with adjustable base,

It's been 6 months and just starting to like it.
Should have went with California king ,feet hang over at times

Wasn't cheap

Greetings to my fellow vertically unchallenged brother. Lol

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is/was having this dilemma.

Keep the comments coming, looking into all brands mentioned.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Beds are like buying shoes. What works for you may not work for me.

i-comfort by Serta for us. I've had it 10 years now. I did the Sleepnumber thing back in 2018. To me, they're an absolute ripoff for what you get. We bought the high end sleepnumber. They deliver it and set it up. The wife noticed it was a lower end model and called them before they went to their next delivery. All they did was switch out the cover... Lol. Same air mattresses. Anyhow, we tried it out for a couple weeks, it never slept the same and don't bother sleeping in the middle, you fall in a ditch. Sometimes I would wake up sleeping on the plastic box spring. When I called to return it they offered up this free thing and that free thing. And yes, you get all your money back BUT!!!! you have to pay like 300 dollars for them to come pick up the overpriced air mattress. Worst experience I ever had. FYI, if you do a sleepnumber, they sometimes don't disclose that you won't get a refund on the adjustable bed frame.

I was glad we kept our i comfort mattress because it went right back in place! I'm too afraid to try another mattress. That sleepnumber was almost $5,000.00!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Temper Pedic mattress, California King. It is on the firm side. The first week I had it I thought I had made a mistake with the firm mattress, but it has been a godsend. Going on 10 years and still feels like new. When I go on vacation and sleep on other mattresses in Hotels, I can hardly wait to get home so I can sleep on a "real" mattress. Would highly recommend, but everyone has different tastes.

SHOdown220

Established Member
We decided to try the “mattress in a box” and ended up ordered an Ashley brand one off Amazon for something like 600 bucks. Figured what the hell if we didn’t like it we weren’t out that much money.

We got the firm version and first time I laid down I was like oh no this is way too firm, took about a week of us sleeping on it to fully break it in. Fell in love with it and couldn’t imagine any mattress being more comfortable than that, especially for the money.

We’ve had it about 4 years now and still feels great. Oh and it’s not hot, we gotta stay cool to sleep (thermostat is set at 66 at night) and being too hot in that bed has never been an issue.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I like my Serta king size and mattress topper from Costco. I think I'm in it for under $600 so for the price, I'm happy with it.

I added a set of medium king My Pillows and I sleep a lot better since using them. Best pillows I've ever used.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I'm still sleeping on a Purple 4. I love it, the wife hates it. Not because it's uncomfortable, it's because the mattress is SO HEAVY she has much difficulty lifting the corners to tuck into the fitted sheets. Our standard Purple 4 "King" weighs in at a bit over 200lbs! o_O Wrestling that mattress is like wrangling a dead body in a potato sack.

U.M.

Blown 89

Established Member
Novafoam cooling gel mattress from Costco. King size. $500.
Saybrook adjustable cooling foam pillow - link
Brookyn Bedding cooling mattress protector - link
West Elm Lyocell sheets.

If you sleep hot you want Tencel Lyocell sheets. They're incredible. I put a lot of research into my sleep arrangements at the beginning of the summer and came to the conclusion that mattresses are an absolute scam and that different textile materials serve different purposes. For the first time in my life sleeping comfort isn't a source of frustration.

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
About every 6 to 8 years I spend about 1,000 on whatever top of the line pillowtop mattress the local furniture store has. I have a bad back and need a medium to firm. What I can't sleep without is a mypillow and cotton percale sheets, low thread count as I am a hot sleeper.

gaspasr

Established Member
Had an expensive Stearns and Foster that lasted 2 years. Sagged right away and you couldnt flip it. Bought the original casper in 2015 and still sleep like a baby on it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Wife and I went with a Leesa mattress. Its one of the brands that ships in a box to your house. Open the box and lay it on the box spring, cut the band and it unfolds itself into position.

It is memory foam which did feel hotter than our last Serta mattress but after a few days the improvements in sleep were noticeable. Biggest gripe i have so far is how we need to rotate it every time we change sheets to ensure the one side i am on isnt a "hole" compared to my wife's side. Dont know if its the type of memory foam they use but it definitely conforms and stays that way until we rotate the mattress during sheet change.

I also think we got it on sale plus an XM/Sirius coupon code for a percentage off. Was much less than the box stores plus it came directly to us without paying for handling/shipping fees. They even scheduled a company to pick up our old one for us with the price. Quite convenient.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
Rockin a Tempurpedic cloud supreme for the last 13 years. It's been great. We've made a bunch of kids on it.

I think it's worth it. We'll likely get another in a few years that's "cooler" feeling as they often advertise.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Looked at Sealy, Tempurpedic, and a few others today. The Tempurpedic was good for me, but the wife didn't like it. We both liked a bed made by King Koil. We'll see what what happens this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread