Max boost on stock block

terik4187

Established Member
Hey guys,

Have a 04 Cobra with a beauty of a motor but all stock internals. Looking to get more power but not blow the motor....just yet.

My question is; how much boost/hp can I run safely without having to worry about blowing the motor on stock internals. I'm a pretty relaxed driver especially living in Vancouver, BC., Canada. Not many open hwys around here like the states.

Currently running a Steggy 6 ported eaton at 14#s. 60lbs injectors and a KB BAP.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

PC03GT

Established Member
Hey guys,

Have a 04 Cobra with a beauty of a motor but all stock internals. Looking to get more power but not blow the motor....just yet.

My question is; how much boost/hp can I run safely without having to worry about blowing the motor on stock internals. I'm a pretty relaxed driver especially living in Vancouver, BC., Canada. Not many open hwys around here like the states.

Currently running a Steggy 6 ported eaton at 14#s. 60lbs injectors and a KB BAP.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
That depends on your fuel, and if you do headstuds. My buddy made 1000 with a hellion hellraiser kit, on e85 and meth. He was close to 30 psi

terik4187

Established Member
That depends on your fuel, and if you do headstuds. My buddy made 1000 with a hellion hellraiser kit, on e85 and meth. He was close to 30 psi
Plan is to do a return style fuel system solid walboro fuel pumps. 30# thats nuts but sweet! I think I want to stay in the 650 to 750 range.

Cheers

pridemore54

Established Member
I had the 2.3L TVS on a 08 GT500 and a 2.9 Crusher on my cobra. Not quite an apples to apples comparison but this Whipple definitely puts down more power, especially at the top end of the power range.

Can't go wrong either way though. Especially if you drive a little more relaxed like you mentioned.

I will say, I love the little whistle I get at idle from my Whipple crusher. Almost sounds like a centrifugal style blower at times.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I made a little over 600rwhp on a gen 4 standard inlet 2.9 on a pump gas tune. My buddy put down 707rwhp with a gen 4 standard inlet 2.9 and E85.

terik4187

Established Member
Totally forgot about this post. But thanks for all the info guys. It helps. I'm wondering what the max boost guys have pushed the 2.3 whipple to?

I'm wondering if I go 2.3 i'll max out too short and then will need to hit up a 2.9.

FYI -- fuel wise; E85 is a little tougher to find around here so i'll be running 94 most of the time.

Besides injectors and fuel pump system upgrades I don't want to do much in the near future. Maybe long-term future. ;)

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Totally forgot about this post. But thanks for all the info guys. It helps. I'm wondering what the max boost guys have pushed the 2.3 whipple to?

I'm wondering if I go 2.3 i'll max out too short and then will need to hit up a 2.9.

FYI -- fuel wise; E85 is a little tougher to find around here so i'll be running 94 most of the time.

Besides injectors and fuel pump system upgrades I don't want to do much in the near future. Maybe long-term future. ;)
On pump gas, get a 2.3 and have fun with it.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
Meh all a matter of opinion. I am currently running 27lbs on a stock long block with a Gen 5 whipple. There is no right or wrong answer every car and setup is different!

Rambro

Established Member
Stock engine, 2.9 Gen 4 standard inlet here. Old blower was a second gen 2.3 whipple. The 2.9 on e85 feels stronger in the mid range, and up top. Same if not more torque down low. The Gen 4 2.9, or 3.0 is the way to go.

Rambro

Established Member
But if you just want 600 on 94 octane, snag a used 2.3 whipple, 60’s, and a bap.

03' White Snake

Established Member

Your question is contradicting itself. Max boost on stock engine, then you want to run pump gas. These 2 statements contradict themselves. 18-20 lbs on pump gas is the limit. Max boost on the engine is based on fuel, not necessarily the blower. Obviously you cannot run 18+ lbs on an Eaton even with the correct fuel. Big TS blowers take more boost, but even they are still limited by RPM at some point. Not un-heard of running 30 psi on stock motors with studs.

terik4187

Established Member
Your question is contradicting itself. Max boost on stock engine, then you want to run pump gas. These 2 statements contradict themselves. 18-20 lbs on pump gas is the limit. Max boost on the engine is based on fuel, not necessarily the blower. Obviously you cannot run 18+ lbs on an Eaton even with the correct fuel. Big TS blowers take more boost, but even they are still limited by RPM at some point. Not un-heard of running 30 psi on stock motors with studs.
Thanks for the clarification. Rookie when it comes to boost levels etc.

So I guess i'll stick to the pump gas limit 18-20lbs on the stock internals.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread