Max horsepower safely on 93

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No hassle with E85 other than upgrading your fuel system to flow enough of it and finding it in your area if that's an issue. Only one station here carries it at the pump. The other issue is the same as with pump gas - consistency. If you fill up in the summer with E85 and it's actually E85 and you get tuned on that pretty aggressively, but then fill up 4 months later and get E60, you're going to have a bad time. The government stipulates that "E85" really only has to be E51 to be labeled as such, and content changes wildly throughout the different seasons.

I believe the only way currently to actively measure (read: guess at) ethanol content in these cars is to use a combination of both HP Tuners and SCT to be able to have the ECU calculate estimated content based on lambda. Obviously this will only work in the 11-12 cars with wide and sensors. A much better solution would be to either not tune aggressively on it, buy good fuel (race gas/ethanol), or go to a standalone management like Holley that will accept input from a flex fuel sensor. The latter being a fairly costly and invasive approach that most people aren't going to be willing to do unless they are building a race car.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
There's never a definitive or "right" answer to these threads. They always end up with a whole lot of hearsay and opinions. Take the one above about needing to add Torco if you're running 93 octane @ 19psi. Where did that come from? I'm running 19psi on 93 octane and never use any additives. I've never had an issue. Been running it like this for over 6 years.

With the power level, that, too, just depends. Again, I'm on 19psi with a Whipple 2.9 on my '11 GT500. I estimate it's putting down 660+ at the wheels. Up above, scotsam said he's putting down 737 at 18psi on 93 octane with the same blower. I'd love to know what mods he has.

The general consensus that I've seen over the years, though, is that 750 at the wheels on 93 octane with a Whipple 2.9 is the "safe" limit. I believe a few people have still done more than that on pump gas with the 2.9.
Mmr mod1000 9:1 short block arp studs and fasteners throughout , 72lb injectors , dynatech longtubes/off road x (non emission county yay), jlt123, frp monoblade, 2.9whipple 3" pulley that's about it. That was tuned by Lund on evolutions dyno. I'll have to dig the sheet up to find the correction and all that. I wouldn't assume they padded the numbers as they didn't seem too happy tuning it with me not buying the parts from them (except the tb but that's another story) and doing the work myself. Oh yeah don't forget a boost-a-pump

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
So when people say things like "gonna rebuild your engine" "be finacially ready" . are there things that consistently fail? I don't plan on going past 650-680 probably gonna do LTs then finish suspension and that's it. For ease of mind further down the road my next mods will be pistons, rods, arp 2000 studs. But thats it. Don't have e85 around here. Will probably just be adding torco when I will up.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Based on all that, I like nitrous. Haha I know the benefits of E85 really are great, and it does very much depend on each individual and how much they want to invest into their cars.

For the value Ill take nitrous when the time comes.

builttodrive

Established Member
I kinda feel bad for those that can't get E85 in their area. It has an initial fuel system cost that kinda sucks but I do like getting virtually race gas with an added cooling benefit for $1.59 a gallon right at the pump. I'm tuned super safe on E85 and If I get E70=no problem, or if I get E90=no problem and I usually test right around E80-E85 in my area. The down side is your mileage will drop but I still get around 10 MPG in town and 20 MPG on the interstae and for a car I don't drive a ton thats not too bad.

paluka21

Established Member
So when people say things like "gonna rebuild your engine" "be finacially ready" . are there things that consistently fail? I don't plan on going past 650-680 probably gonna do LTs then finish suspension and that's it. For ease of mind further down the road my next mods will be pistons, rods, arp 2000 studs. But thats it. Don't have e85 around here. Will probably just be adding torco when I will up.

For 13/14 cars at least; oil pump gears and rods.

paluka21

Established Member
Food for thought; does anyone run the Sunoco race fuels that can be purchased in the drums? My local Sunoco has unleaded SS 100 and 260 GT

Sunoco_260_GT_Plus.jpg

http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ss-100
http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gt

It would seem logical to me that mixing 1/2 Sunoco race fuel and 1/2 pump 92/93 would yield a boost octane to give mild combinations cushion for a little more boost, without the negative effects of Torco. While it would be difficult to actually calculate the octane if your tank, it should still yield a higher octane rating than any pump gas you're going to find.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Back in the mid-2000s, we were able to by 102 octane right at the pump from some Sunoco stations around here. That was back when gas was hella cheap, and Hummer H2s, Excursions, and F650s were selling like hotcakes as daily drivers.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Summit Point sells Sunoco Standard (110 leaded) at the pump, it's about a 15 minute drive from me. That's what I've ran my car on for a long time, switching to C/Q16 with the new build though.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Food for thought; does anyone run the Sunoco race fuels that can be purchased in the drums? My local Sunoco has unleaded SS 100 and 260 GT

http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ss-100
http://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gt

It would seem logical to me that mixing 1/2 Sunoco race fuel and 1/2 pump 92/93 would yield a boost octane to give mild combinations cushion for a little more boost, without the negative effects of Torco. While it would be difficult to actually calculate the octane if your tank, it should still yield a higher octane rating than any pump gas you're going to find.

I run Sunoco 260 GT from the pump. Last time I filled up (October 2016) it was roughly $6.85 per gallon. I don't mix with 91 octane, which is the best we can get around here otherwise.

I will tell you that it is not cheap if you have to have drums shipped to your house. Hazmat charges are very expensive. I'd run E85 and suffer through the reduced MPG if I couldn't get 260 GT.

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
E85 is abundant and consistent in S. FL and I have a station across the street. I also have a Sunoco down the street with race fuel and a VP station a few miles away with any fuel imaginable. I feel for all you and the struggle. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paluka21

Established Member
I run Sunoco 260 GT from the pump. Last time I filled up (October 2016) it was roughly $6.85 per gallon. I don't mix with 91 octane, which is the best we can get around here otherwise.

I will tell you that it is not cheap if you have to have drums shipped to your house. Hazmat charges are very expensive. I'd run E85 and suffer through the reduced MPG if I couldn't get 260 GT.

The local Sunoco stations have this fuel in drums for sale inside the store. Guess one would just need to purchase their own pump which would screw/connect to the top of the drum.

hotford

Established Member
2011 GT 500, mods:kooks LTH/OR mid pipe, corsa mufflers, KB BAP,ID 1000, 3.4 whipple 19 psi,stock crank pulley,ford racing TB, 123 MM JLT,93 pump tune AFCO heat exchanger with dual fans, metco idler.
742 rwhp.

avgt500

Established Member
Forgot to add, for track days when I know Ill repeatedly be doing max power hits, filling the tank with 3-4 gallons of race fuel and then filling with Chevron, Mobil or Shell 91 Premium is a safe way to ensure your fuel doesnt cause you problems. This is for a 91-93 octane tune.

Filling with Chevron, Shell or Mobil normally is the best way to ensure you get at least 91 or 93 for non track duty.

07-10 owners should really consider getting knock detection like the J&S to help keep tabs on detonation.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/VampirePage/Vampire.html
I have been looking for some kind of timing retard for nitrous, this looks like the hot ticket, +knock control.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Yeah I would no doubt switch to e85, but the only station that has it is a sheets station 45 miles from my house. I do get a little worried every now and again because I'll hear stories about getting bad gas at a not so great gas station I try and stick to well known ones. Is there a knock sensor for the 07-09s? Vampire knock or something?

MastaAce03

Established Member
Yeah I would no doubt switch to e85, but the only station that has it is a sheets station 45 miles from my house. I do get a little worried every now and again because I'll hear stories about getting bad gas at a not so great gas station I try and stick to well known ones. Is there a knock sensor for the 07-09s? Vampire knock or something?

The 07-09 don't have factory knock sensors. The vampire knock system is a aftermarket unit that has very high reviews and is proven to work. If you don't have one yet, get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread