McLeod RST/RXT clutch chatter?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Don't you have to change input shafts to run the Centerforce?

Also, why is there a warning posted on the RST and RXT that says not recommended for drag racing? That's a deal breaker if there's any validity to it.

Yeah i think with mt-82 you do have to change input shafts, but tremec you dont.
The disclaimer is for legal reasons like the off road disclaimer saying off road use only!

BULLITT 308

I have a 2008 BULLITT. 4.6 liter crate motor with Comp cams and hotrod heads, McLeod fly wheel, RXT, T6060 six speed Tremec, all new motor and transmission mounts, Dynotech DL, Ford racing differential upgrade, etc, etc.
First we had a RST with the fly wheel that came with the motor. We discovered it was the wrong flywheel when it started slipping. Note: the RST rattled the entire time only when in idle and clutch pedal out. Sounded like the throw out bearing.
We then replaced the flywheel and installed the RXT. Thoroughly checked out the Tremec. Every thing checked out. We drained it and refilled with Royal Purple fluid.
No noise for about 100 miles then it started again. Rattle at idle with clutch out.
Very frustrated with McKleod!!! Wish I had gone with another brand.
Can a clutch expert help me?

GapRider

Established Member
Old thread I know, but I've had the RST for about 280 miles now and there are two different scenarios that this clutch produces anomalies that are noticeable.
It seems like these two separate issues are being discussed in this thread but maybe not differentiated.

1-clutch chatter - this happens while engaging the clutch as it begins to grab (always when taking off gently from a stop for me). I believe this is due to the disc center hubs not being sprung like stock discs are. It is a definite shudder you can feel. If you rev it up and take off a little more aggressively, I don't get chatter.

2-noise at idle in Neutral, foot off the clutch pedal - I do hear more noise than stock at idle in this situation. Not sure why this is.

Lastly, I do get a resonant vibration, mostly in 4th gear (with the TREMEC) when lugging around 1500 RPM. I called TREMEC and they said this was normal but after seeing some of the posts in this thread that describe similar situation, I wonder if part of it is from the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread