• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Medusa Version 3.0 (New Build)

Discussion in 'SN95 Cobras' started by 98 Saleen Cobra, Dec 4, 2013.

1. 98 Saleen Cobra

98 Saleen Cobra Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

Well as some of you now know my car has been eating motors.. 3 total to be exact two of which were built by some of the top builders. The first John Tymensky of Modular Performance and the 2nd built by [email protected] All of the motor blew the same way same piston same everything.. You can follow everything prior to this thread here
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/959878-my-e85-build-thread-other-events.html
    Well AED got the car on the dyno and it was pretty much toasted.. Car would run but they couldn't get it to do anything.. Did a compression test and that was that.. All the cylinders on the drivers side where toasted.. As much of you can imagine I freaked out being that I've now blown up 3 motors..

Not knowing WTF happened (none of us did) Drew and Shaun started making phone calls.. We were all scratching our heads. Well it turns out that there have been a few cases of ECU malfuntions on fueling these cars.. Some times it takes a few motors to figure out.. But after sending Drew some pics of the stock piston that let go, Drew having pics of my last built motor, and this current built motor. It was all the same side same cylinder etc.. We've changed injectors as well so that ruled that out.. After confirming with some other tuners from Shaun he said it's probably the ECU.. There was ZERO signs of detonation on the bearings.. They looked perfect just didn't get fuel.

This lead me to the next build.. Just moving back to CA and trying to save, bought my new truck etc.. Luckily everything is going to work out for the new build.. I've had some mental set backs with wanting to part the car and just say **** it.. BUT I'm going to do this built motor thing 1 last effing time.. So here is the run down.

Sold the Boss 5.0 block in favor of a very nice stock bore 281 Teksid block.. Saving weight is now key for me..

Custom Pistons aimed at E85
    Same Billet I-beam Manly rods as before
    Stock stroke forged Crank
    Foxlake Stg 3 Ported heads
    Custom Cams
    Stand Alone ECU
    Rear end setup will be:

FRPP 3.73's
    DPI Differential http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/products/8-8-31-spline-platinum-track.html
    9" ends
    Custom Axles
    Fully welded tubes
    Powdercoated

Sold the T-trim to my buddy Pete who has a AED built 96 Cobra..

Bought a JT-trim that has made 960 thru a auto on a 10:1 Comp motor on 20psi

I don't really care for what power it's going to make, but I'd be willing to bet it'll be a lot. I have some goals in mind for it, but again at this point I need a car that runs lol.. and doesn't eat motors.. lol.. There will be a 17psi tune for drag racing every now and again, but mainly it'll be sitting at 10psi tops for street use.. The car will be light so HP doesn't matter to me lol.

At any rate, I figured I'd start a build thread so then I don't keep changing my mind on shit lol!! On to some pics.

Blown motor and pistons and you can see the drivers side of the block is toasted:
    2013091895103645_zpsc8083a86.gif
    2013093095110727_zps0638b770.gif
    IMG952013093095113446_zps40907de7.gif

JT-trim that I bought, you can see it should go in for a freshen up due to throwing a few belts and the seals look kinda rough.
    2013120295131251_zps355ff222.gif
    2013120295131330_zpsf33417dd.gif

I'll keep this thread up to date as I can.. As of right now the JT-trim is sent out to Vortech and Drew is sending the heads out at some point and along with the block to the machine shop to get it checked out and pistons ordered..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. SVTPete83

SVTPete83 Well-Known Member Established Member

Hell yes! This is gonna be nasty! Glad you're going with the aluminum block too. They are strong and light. It'll serve you well sir! I know I speak for all the regular sn95 guys when I say we are excited to see this one through! Congratz buddy!

3. 98 Saleen Cobra

Thanks Pete. I appriecate it. I needed to make this thread a long time ago. I realized that I'm going to need support from people to make it through and not give up.. Since stuff is getting sent out now there is no turning back.

4. 90goldtsiawd

90goldtsiawd here 4 da laffs & cruelty Established Member

Man I don't know what I would do if I was you... That's a shitload of money right down the ****in drain... Sorry to hear and good luck with the new build.

5. svt5150

svt5150 New Member Established Member

Glad you are sticking with it. Always liked your car. Drew and Shaun know their stuff so hoping this is the one for you. I'll be back up at the shop pretty soon with mine.

6. 98 Saleen Cobra

Thanks guys.. Yes they sure do know their shit!! and I'm hoping the FAST setup makes it to where I won't lose motors anymore

7. 90goldtsiawd

Can you elaborate on the issue with the stock ecu? Might help some other members in the future?

8. Blown_By_You

Blown_By_You Richard Head Established Member

Damn Dude.. Sorry about the misfortunes. Hang in there and it'll all be worth it

9. oooooh snap

oooooh snap ow watch your teeth, babe Established Member

i hear ya on the frustration. just remember, if it was easy, every riceboy would have a kick ass car.

good luck!

10. encasedmetal

encasedmetal WHINO! Established Member

not up to date on my FAST software versions, but do the new ones run closed loop at WOT? IF not, highly reconsider your ECU choice- I'd recommend the new Holley setup- it's ****ing amazing

11. crazycarlo

crazycarlo Well-Known Member Established Member

That's awesome man and congrats on the will and motivation. A sexy SN-95 is a rare sight.

12. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake 1998 Triple Black Cobra Established Member

Really glad you decided to keep the car and rebuild. Always liked your Cobra.

Is the ECU issue only a 96 model year problem?

13. 98 Saleen Cobra

Well I don't know much about it other than that it doesn't get full power to the injectors or miss fires the injectors or something like that.. But Mihovetz has seen it, [email protected] has seen it, and a few others.. Maybe Shaun can step in and explain it, but from what I gathered it's a very rare thing.

Thank you sir :beer:

Thanks man :beer:

I'm not to sure either, but I know that it's what [email protected] runs in all the race cars and is going to be running on all their cars.. So I'm assuming he knows what's up.. I'm going to assume that it does run closed loop or you can control it if it does or doesn't.

Thanks guys.. I have a 98 Computer so I'm not to sure.. Maybe an issue with 96-98?

UPDATE: heads go out tomorrow, and block, crank and rods are at the machine shop getting checked out.

14. 90goldtsiawd

How were they able to pinpoint it to the ecu?

15. Stanger00

Stanger00 Well-Known Member Established Member

Awesome man. Glad you kept with it. We are all looking forward to this beast back under its own power again. This time it will be lighter, meaner and faster.

16. 98 Saleen Cobra

After talking to some of the best tuners in the country who have seen this this is what they came up with based off of what the other tuners found out.. They replaced the ECU with a stand alone setup and it went away.. I don't really know more than that..

Figure this. Each motor was blower in the same cylinder same side all 3.. All three pistons looked the same, NO signes of detonation on any bearings, 3 different injectors on each motor, ALL 3 still blew up the same way same cylinder with no signs of detonation any where.. Just straight got hot and melted.. Each time the motors let go there was zero noise when the motors let go.. Spark plugs even looked fine! Pistons just melted..

17. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake 1998 Triple Black Cobra Established Member

This is the first time I have ever heard of this ECU issue. Sure its not a cooling problem?

18. 98 Saleen Cobra

My cooling has always been legit.. Never one issue.

19. oooooh snap

oooooh snap ow watch your teeth, babe Established Member

did you have anything wired up using the injector postive? i believe meziere's wp installation insctructions say to tap in to that to trigger the relay.

20. 98 Saleen Cobra

No nothing is wired to the injector positive.. and I don't have a electric wp.