Megasquirt?

termcobra281

Established Member
Just seeing anyone out there has had good luck with the MS3Pro plug and play for the 2003 cobra? I know its been out for a few now so anyone with real world advice. Is it do a good job or any funny little things going on with it? thanks in advance

aaronj

Established Member
Im using it for my build. It really depends on what your goals are. If its a street car or not a full blown race car and you want to keep your factory gauge function its hard to beat. The PNP aspect is really nice. Its limited on I/O. Im running Co2 boost control and flex fuel with it. It does have some cool features, no lift shift, rolling boost build, traction control, launch control, 2 step/3step, ect. It can also self tune.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have it as well. I'm using flex fuel, traction control, and knock sensors. Like anything there's a learning curve as you figure things out. But my car is a street car and I have no issues jumping in and driving it long distance.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
when I was looking into this a bit (decided to leave well enough alone and just drive my car for once) if you're not down to tune it all yourself it seemed like finding tuning support could be hit or miss depending on where you are.

Im still interested for flex fuel and traction control capability while being able to run low impedance injectors and keep my dash

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
when I was looking into this a bit (decided to leave well enough alone and just drive my car for once) if you're not down to tune it all yourself it seemed like finding tuning support could be hit or miss depending on where you are.

Im still interested for flex fuel and traction control capability while being able to run low impedance injectors and keep my dash
If you make the jump I've got a guy that does remote tunes with this set up. He's a foxbody guy. But really, once you get the base set up done, it's pretty simple.

D-MANN

Established Member
Where is everyone buying there ms3pro from? Anyone using the perfect tuning gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCguy

Established Member
there's a really good thread on this over on ModularFords if you want to check that out. I see you're in WV.....one of the best MS3 tuners for our cars is in PA FYI.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I bought mine from Malcolm as well. Along with the gauge. After having the Aeroforce I needed something to show info while I was driving. I do wish they offered a version without the LED's.

96dreamer

Established Member
If you are running a aftermarket android double din you can run a MSDroid dash on it via a bluetooth adapter and have all of the info available while driving without an extra gauge. I plan on doing this in my 96 eventually.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you are running a aftermarket android double din you can run a MSDroid dash on it via a bluetooth adapter and have all of the info available while driving without an extra gauge. I plan on doing this in my 96 eventually.
I thought about trying to figure that out for the head unit I have. I ended up just putting Shadow Dash on my phone and use that when I want to log and don't have my computer.

Which reminds me, wireless connection is awesome. If you get the MS3 get the bluetooth adapter.

termcobra281

Established Member
If you make the jump I've got a guy that does remote tunes with this set up. He's a foxbody guy. But really, once you get the base set up done, it's pretty simple.
I do actually have one so I might have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the hook up.

termcobra281

Established Member
I bought mine from Malcolm as well. Along with the gauge. After having the Aeroforce I needed something to show info while I was driving. I do wish they offered a version without the LED's.
digital dash efi has a nice set up. Thinking of going that way and you should check them out.

termcobra281

Established Member
Thanks everyone with replies. I will spin my cobra up around 7500 to 8000 rpm on top so wanting extra protection that the oem computer cant keep up with. I did buy my ms3 from malcolm . I plan on a digital dash efi with the set up, gonna try the flex fuel option, and some of the anti lag stuff. I dont need alot of crazy stuff but more less something that can do a few extra things. My set up will be twin turbos with a t56 magnum and high c/r, custom cams, and some trick stuff with suspension, but mostly driven on the street and alittle track fun here and there. I just enjoy the older cobras and I love the way they look. I plan on building a car I can enjoy driving when I want, I never understood building a straight race car as its mostly gonna have to be on a track 90% of the time, I like the thought of on the street 90%. If I put tons of money in a car its gonna be able to drive anywhere and anytime I want if that makes sense. So yeah just making sure that people was doing ok with the ms3 or if they was having any headaches. Sounds like its very doable tho.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
digital dash efi has a nice set up. Thinking of going that way and you should check them out.
I don't want to swap out the stock gauges. It's one of the reasons I like the PNP. Although I have thought that if someone could replicate the stock dash in digital format that would be pretty cool. Best of both worlds IMO.

FWIW, my car is 99.9% street. It's been to the track once since I installed the Whipple. I've taken it on multiple long trips (300ish miles one way). Just last weekend I drove to Palm Springs from San Diego with no problems. I actually need to burn up the pump gas I have in the tank to get back to E85 because it might finally see the rollers on Friday.

DCguy

Established Member
This vid should give you a decent idea of what it takes to get the software going and first start up / idle tuning.......beyond that you don't want to F around unless you know what you're doing. Take it to a tuner that knows what they're doing and knows MS3. Get a good base tune.

The Pro version of the software also has a "self-tuning" feature that will adjust the tune in real time as you're driving the car if you're in closed loop and running an AFR gauge and trying to maintain a listed AFR ratio....this is a really cool feature that will get the VE (fuel) tables cleaned up for you. However, important to note that this feature does NOT self adjust timing tables...this is where a good tuner will do some work for you.

The 2003/2004 cobra PNP MS3 comes with a base tune already loaded so you basically just have to input your injector info, verify timing, and it should idle fairly decent.

The base tune is set up for Speed Density (for simplicity) so you can unplug your MAF for the initial start(s) - you'll run a boost/vac source straight to the MS3 so it can manage this. Beyond this its up to you if you want to continue running on Speed Density or switch over to MAF calculation which will require you to input a transfer curve specific to the MAF you're using....the PRO-M slot style works really well and comes with a 30pt transfer curve included...

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
there's a really good thread on this over on ModularFords if you want to check that out. I see you're in WV.....one of the best MS3 tuners for our cars is in PA FYI.
Who is that? I’m going to need someone to get mine up and going when it’s time.
Thanks
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread