Mercedes Sl-600 Biturbo???

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Very nice and impressive, however, 130K for a 12 flat @118?
How about a 4.6 or 5.0 ci for 35K and a supercharger for around 42K or an h/c/i LSX motor in an Fbody?

I guess though, if you want to go 12's in stlye, then you just go with the Benz. Maybe running 11's rapped in beautiful leather with the AC on and surround sound might be really nice to. :lol1:

Im a little surprised by a number of the responses in this thread. The arrogance and lack of respect from old tech in a 4200/4300lb car is disturbing. Stock for stock the 03 merc will take the new 5.0. When you look at the numbers it is really not close as .3/.4 is significant at the low 12 range!

A little montage of Bens s600 at the track...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-kill-drive-thru-34/46128-2-doors-taste-like-chicken.html

To be clear the sl600 is faster stock. The sl600 is faster modded than the new mustang gt. It was faster 8 years ago and its faster today. However they are fun to run!:beer:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Im a little surprised by a number of the responses in this thread. The arrogance and lack of respect from old tech in a 4200/4300lb car is disturbing. Stock for stock the 03 merc will take the new 5.0. When you look at the numbers it is really not close as .3/.4 is significant at the low 12 range!

A little montage of Bens s600 at the track...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-kill-drive-thru-34/46128-2-doors-taste-like-chicken.html

To be clear the sl600 is faster stock. The sl600 is faster modded than the new mustang gt. It was faster 8 years ago and its faster today. However they are fun to run!:beer:

Not disrespecting the Bens man at all. I realize the level of quality of that goes into that car! However, it is $130,000 dollars man! It should come with a powerful engine, leather seats, heated cup holders. Hell for that money, I would hope it has an inflatable joy doll for those cold winter nights.
I am just saying that you can go a lot faster for less money and "most" (not all) people who like speed, do not care about heated cup holders. :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Not disrespecting the Bens man at all. I realize the level of quality of that goes into that car! However, it is $130,000 dollars man! It should come with a powerful engine, leather seats, heated cup holders. Hell for that money, I would hope it has an inflatable joy doll for those cold winter nights.
I am just saying that you can go a lot faster for less money and "most" (not all) people who like speed, do not care about heated cup holders. :beer:

Where can you buy or build a twin turbo v12 for less?

Putting a cheap motor in a crap car is such an ignorant excuse(there is always someone one can go faster for less).....

Back on topic, stock for stock the 5.0(a sweet platform for today) will be a few ticks slower than the sl v12bi!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Don't split hairs with me. The ability to pay cash for a $130k+ car and a moderately expensive tune is quite uncommon.

Speaking of the sl65 are selling for 55k these while the sl600 are around 40k. Yes you can find both for less as well. imagine a 800lb monster instead of the gt500 and a 600lb monster instead of a new mustang gt/boss!

I believe this puts the sl600 squarely into the common equation.....

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
He is a nice guy from what I remember reading on the MB forums when I owned an E55 AMG. The hardest race for those would be a dig due to the immense amount of torque. Once moving they just are quite impressive. Ask him to drop the top to make it a more fair race. :)

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Very nice and impressive, however, 130K for a 12 flat @118?
How about a 4.6 or 5.0 ci for 35K and a supercharger for around 42K or an h/c/i LSX motor in an Fbody?

I guess though, if you want to go 12's in stlye, then you just go with the Benz. Maybe running 11's rapped in beautiful leather with the AC on and surround sound might be really nice to. :lol1:

I agree to a certain extent. Bang for the buck strictly performance wise you wouldn't go with the Merc. However that being said. IF you have the dough and you want the COMPLETE package the Merc isn't a bad way to go- gobs of power from the factory, pedigree, comfort, status- and can rape most of the cars in it's price range with ease- especially with some minor tuning:shrug: - it's a no brainer IMO.

On the other hand the majority of guys looking to buy the new 5.0 and slap a SC or turbo on it are NOT the same guys also looking to buy a high end German Sports Sedan. There are exceptions as we all know but there aren't many.

Just my .02

nycarpenter

Established Member
I agree to a certain extent. Bang for the buck strictly performance wise you wouldn't go with the Merc. However that being said. IF you have the dough and you want the COMPLETE package the Merc isn't a bad way to go- gobs of power from the factory, pedigree, comfort, status- and can rape most of the cars in it's price range with ease- especially with some minor tuning:shrug: - it's a no brainer IMO.

On the other hand the majority of guys looking to buy the new 5.0 and slap a SC or turbo on it are NOT the same guys also looking to buy a high end German Sports Sedan. There are exceptions as we all know but there aren't many.

Just my .02

IMHO I would take the new Caddy V. Comfort, Handles, good power stock and spend another grand on tune and bolt ons and you have a pretty nice ride. Nothing against the euro cars they are well built and plenty of comfort but for 1/2 the money new I'd put my money back in U.S economy and get a real nice car to boot. When crap goes wrong with the high end euro car you had better hope your your own mechanic and you are getting parts at a huge discount. You can pick these $150,000 cars up used 5 years old for a fraction of cost but to maintain them can be the back breaker..

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

niceguyyy01

Established Member
For comparison sake... I had an 08 MB C63 AMG with a tune and exhaust. I outran a stock 5.0 and it was bad. My car made low 5xx's to the tire. It was rated at 468fhp. The car was a beast, but I'm a bigger guy and it was not comfortable for me at all. Plus I wanted something I could work on (if needed) and wanted more performance options.... as the next thing was a supercharger at $15-$17K.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
IMHO I would take the new Caddy V. Comfort, Handles, good power stock and spend another grand on tune and bolt ons and you have a pretty nice ride. Nothing against the euro cars they are well built and plenty of comfort but for 1/2 the money new I'd put my money back in U.S economy and get a real nice car to boot. When crap goes wrong with the high end euro car you had better hope your your own mechanic and you are getting parts at a huge discount. You can pick these $150,000 cars up used 5 years old for a fraction of cost but to maintain them can be the back breaker..

I am with you man! You are not alone in your thought process but we are a rare breed.:beer:
I don't want start the patriotic BS but I am sure one for keeping Amercians working!

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sia7qmzQg_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Sl600 vs gt500 with well you can hear it - YouTube[/nomedia]

There's a video of me raping one with a tune and some mods...they're slow. I gave the the hit and spun and still pulled like a train.

Benz-O-Rama

Established Member
Hello gents. Small internet we have here, huh? This thread was made known to me by a member (redfire03 svt) on one of the Mercedes forums I frequent. I'm just here to introduce myself, clear up a few misconceptions, and hopefully educate a few of the uniformed over here.

Here's the thread:

clay , in here please boyz! (benzorama) - MBWorld.org Forums

My name is Clayton, and I am the owner the 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL600 of topic here. I purchased the car a few years ago when it had 10,800 miles. While it indeed did have a sticker of near $140K, I purchased it during the peak of the recession, so I certainly got a deal on it. I'm in no position to stroke a check for $140K and not vomit shorty afterwards. My wife dropped me off at BWI airport at 8am, I flew from Maryland to Chicago, stroked a check, and drove it back home. I was back in my bed at midnight. What a great way to get to know my new toy.

In stock trim, the 5.5L V12 Biturbo is rated at 493bhp and 590tq. The car is very underrated by MB, in the hopes that it doesn't steal sales from the SL55 AMG, which is a 5.4L supercharged (Kompressor), V8. Notice how that car is also rated at 493bhp? Not a coincidence. The SL600 looks very much like a plain old SL500/SL550 to the people not in the know. Fortunately, my car came with the AMG appearance package which makes it look more like an SL65, than an SL500. Speaking of the SL65, it gets a bump in displacement over my car to 6.0L but the twin snails stay in place. The K24 turbos are very small but the SL65 get a larger impeller wheel and a slight bump in PSI.

Stock SL55 AMG cars are 12.4 cars, the SL600s are closer to 11.90, and the SL65s are roughly 11.50-.60 cars.

My car is mostly stock, with the only performance mods being an ECU/TCU tune, a pair of BMC drop in filters, and I deleted the mufflers. That's it, that's the list. It's also note worthy, that the last time I weighed my car at the track, it tipped the scales a 4370lbs. Not light, by anyone's calculations. The car is the current record holder in the 1/4 mile with an 11.15@125, launching from idle, on a set of Mickey Thompson ET Streets. I do believe I have a high 10-second car, if I stall up the converter a bit, and I have the right density altitude. The car has toothpicks for axles, so loading up the converter on these cars, with the amount of torque I have, is not for the feint of heart. Even though I'm the current WR holder for SL600s in the 1/4, my car is is not even close to a few SL600s that run in my circle. There's a few that have major upgrades to them, and if they can ever launch, dead hook, and not break anything, we're talking low 10second cars, near the 140mph mark.

Ok, so that out of the way, here's a few pics and vids of what the car looks like today. It's had a few cosmetic upgrades along the way. It's been lowered, has carbon fiber front and rear lips, and I'm on my 3rd set of wheels, which happen to be my favorite to date. 20" Vossen CV3s, wrapped in 255/30, and 305/25 rubber. The drag radials I run are on 18" boat anchors, and are 265s.

For your viewing pleasure...

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_ecc.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_d41.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_cf1.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_ad9.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_a6d.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_652.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_545.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_361.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_0a9.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_88c.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_1cb.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_1d3.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_2e0.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_3ed.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_5e3.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_19c.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_174.jpg

MercedesBenz_SL_VVSCV3_57a.jpg

And a few videos...

At the strip...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqKECRhvlf4"]Benz-O-Rama's Mercedes-Benz SL600 V12 Twin Turbo 11.19@125 (World Record ET) - MIR 1/6/2011 - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLfG-U2hkI"]Benz-O-Rama's SL600 vs. Skizzle's Pontiac G8 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Vossen promo video...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QynFxE5acg"]Mercedes Benz SL600 on 20" Vossen VVS-CV3 Concave Wheels / Rims - YouTube[/nomedia]

Now, with that all out of the way, I've quoted a few posts that I'd like to address directly.

Does anyone know much about these cars, performance wise? I did a fast search and it looks like it's a 493HP car. The reason I ask, I was heading home from work yesterday when one of these came up beside me and gunned the motor a little. I couldn't do anything because of the location and traffic. He ended up turning down the same road that I take home which goes from 2 lanes down to 1, I was behind him and there was a car in front of him. Once the car in front of him turned off, I knew he was going to punch it, which he did, and I was ready for it. It was a short burst, and not a ideal place to get high speeds, but I stuck right there on his @ss.
What are these cars capable of doing, performance wise? I know I will run into him again because it looks like we take the same road home.

Thanks

While I was certainly not racing, at no point did I even go WOT, but I did drop it gear when I went by on you, before we got on the one lane road. What you thought was me "punching it", I promise you that it was closer to 1/2 throttle, than wide open throttle. If I went WOT, you'd have known it. At any speed under 50mph, the car will spin the tires and, if I'm lucky, will do a rolling smoky burnout. :D

he will pick a new route after you embarrass him...

Unlikely.

The car is underated,stock they put down north of 450whp. With just some simple ecu remapping folks are looking at well over 600whp and 700+ft lbs. Nothing to sneeze at even for a 4500 pound sedan.

Sounds like you actually know about this platform. Daily drive weight is close to 4500lb but my race weight, was 4370, last time out.

My question is at $160,000 how many owners are screwing with the tune and boost? Pretty sure 90% are stock for at least the years under factory warranty :)

You'd be surprised. We have a very large community that mod these MBs. You're correct though, it probably is 90%, nowhere near the Mustang/Camaro/'Vette world though. We have a handful of Mercs that are running 10.50's, and a few that should be knocking on the door of 9's, all with the full creature comforts that one would associate with owning one of these vehicles.

120-122 traps

I trap 125.x, with my seat massagers on. Yep, seat massagers. :D

The 6.0 litre is the 65 twin turbo motor, as in the S65 AMG or CL65 AMG or SL65 AMG. The 5.5 litre is labelled the 600 twin turbo and cannot be had as an AMG, only AMG trim, can get confusing, and they were all way under rated from the factory, gee I wonder why!

Thanks for letting me know about this thread. You're obviously going to know a lot more about these cars, than most on here. Not the SL600, in particular, but the Mercedes performance scene in general. Thanks for taking the time...

The video I posted above is the guy. I received a message from him, and he seems to be a pretty nice guy. He said he is looking to be in the 10s next year. I am going to try to meet up with him and get some pics, and hopefully I can get a friendly run with him, just to see how badly he beats up on me :) . If it does happen, I'll make sure to get some video of it...

I'm not a big street race kinda guy. However, a group of local guys rent Maryland International Raceway out, a few times a year. Not just MB, actually hardly any MBs show up recently. But you're more than welcome to join us for the next rental.

He is a nice guy from what I remember reading on the MB forums when I owned an E55 AMG. The hardest race for those would be a dig due to the immense amount of torque. Once moving they just are quite impressive. Ask him to drop the top to make it a more fair race. :)

I remember you! Thanks for the kind words.

Sl600 vs gt500 with well you can hear it - YouTube

There's a video of me raping one with a tune and some mods...they're slow. I gave the the hit and spun and still pulled like a train.

"They're slow"? While I know that my car isn't a street race king, I would hardly call it slow. What does your car run in the 1/4? There's always going to be someone faster than you, no matter what you drive. If that's the game you want to play, I could always unload this off the trailer: It's my brother's car, but he's asked me to pilot it next season. 8.7x@155 or so...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMuuZYBP80"]El Camino wheelstand 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]

To the original poster:

I am extremely flattered that you went to such lengths so search me out. I do vaguely remember your son video taping the car as I was driving a few weeks ago. Was that also on RT 118? It's also pretty funny that the very next day, you deviated from your normal daily commute path, in search of the SL600. There's no way that you'd know I was in the Range Rover ahead of you, yet again.

My offer to you is this:

Send me your contact info, and lets set up a meeting time. Not to race, but just a meet and greet. While I have certainly had weak moments, and let my testosterone and adrenaline get the better of me, street racing just isn't my thing. Just too much to lose. But absolutely, bring your son and his camera. I'm willing to let him sit in it, take pictures, drop the top, rev the motor, etc. I just think that'd be pretty cool for a 12 year old.

Also, as mentioned a bunch of us local guys rent out MIR a few times a year. It's the only time I can run, as I get booted after run one, since I don't have a roll cage in the car, and run quicker than 11.49. We generally get 20-30 cars, and you can literally run 100 times if you wanted to. It's only $100, and we dedicate one lane for street tire cars, and one for drag radials and slicks, since the street tires chew up all the VHT on the track. We actually have it rented out next weekend, but I'm taking the family to the Outer Banks and won't be able to attend.

Anyway, hit me up. I'll need a little heads up, as that car isn't my daily driver and with the cold weather quickly approaching, it won't get driven often.

Thanks for the discussion guys, and if anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to PM me, or post up in here.

Be safe out there. :rockon:

I use to own a 5.0 back in the day, so I'm not a hater by any means. I know there are literally hundreds of 'Stangs on here that would eat my car for lunch, but I'm also 100% certain that I there would also be a hundred more that were instantly Googling "SL600" when they got embarrassed by one of these cars. We're all enthusiasts, and each car does it own thing rather well. Stay thirsty my friends...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread