Meth injection on TVS

SCalla1384

Established Member
Got my TVS finished up. Getting some knock on 93 unfortunately, I don't have any e85 around me. I was thinking of meth injection. I had real good luck with it on a previous car.

I know AED isn't a huge fan of meth injection, but I want to do it strictly for safety. I don't want to add more timing or anything like that for it. Just to prevent knock/detonation in case of shit gas.

Where would be the best spot to plumb it? Post blower pre intercooler? Or just inject it before the blower?

Meth is probably my best alternative. $35 for a 5 gallon drum, lasts a long time and obviously only being used at WOT where as torco I'm wasting if I dump in a can to just cruise around on.

rotarymagic

Established Member
I've seen a post intercooler spray bar plate setup before. I'm pretty sure it could be used with both nitrous and/or meth.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Well yeah technically I can. But there's a lot of wasted torco since I won't be driving WOT most of the time. Not to mention torco is pricey. $20 for a full tank. Meth injection will last quite a bit longer since it's only coming on under boost.

cjd223

Established Member
Lucas is much cheaper. 3oz per 5 gallons will net you 96 octane. I buy bottles locally for under $6.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
why does AED not recommend doing it? I'm considering it on my tvs

mhyjek

Established Member
Do it at the throttle body run 30/70 mix whereas 30% meth rest distilled water. Probably 7-10 gph nozzle works great cooling charge and not adding to much fuel and give you the knock protection you need. We run it on my buddies ctsv he changed to maggie 2300 blower no damge to the blades has over 10k on it. We had has blower over to snake bitten and they said it was very clean. Car puts over 840 whp stock bottom end we even tune for the meth in his race tune but run 100% and the car has gone 10.2 at 145 it is pigg heavy and runing drag radials so the numbers arent great but on the highway that thing is out!

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
Copied from snowperformance's site:

Positive Displacement Supercharger: Roots style (B&M, Eaton, Magnuson, etc.) or twin screw (Lysholm, Kenne Bell, Whipple, etc.) Mounting the nozzle before this style of blower is perfectly safe and actually provides some additional benefits. The small amount of water-methanol fluid isn’t harmful to any rotor seals or surfaces or coatings, and it helps to seal the clearances and condense the air some more, resulting in a more efficient output. Additionally, it keeps the rotors and housing MUCH cooler, which reduces heat transfer to the rest of the intake and air charge.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Do it at the throttle body run 30/70 mix whereas 30% meth rest distilled water. Probably 7-10 gph nozzle works great cooling charge and not adding to much fuel and give you the knock protection you need. We run it on my buddies ctsv he changed to maggie 2300 blower no damge to the blades has over 10k on it. We had has blower over to snake bitten and they said it was very clean. Car puts over 840 whp stock bottom end we even tune for the meth in his race tune but run 100% and the car has gone 10.2 at 145 it is pigg heavy and runing drag radials so the numbers arent great but on the highway that thing is out!

Interesting okay thanks man! Appreciate the info. The only thing I was nervous about was the meth evaporating before entering the combustion chamber and not getting the extra octane. I would also most likely run a 70% meth to 30% water as I had real good luck with that on my other car. Cooling I'm not so worried about (obviously has plenty of pros to it) just want the extra octane.

If you're getting knock on 93 then why not have it tuned for 91?

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this is kind of an odd question. Why would I run lower octane when I'm getting some knock on higher octane?

Copied from snowperformance's site:

Positive Displacement Supercharger: Roots style (B&M, Eaton, Magnuson, etc.) or twin screw (Lysholm, Kenne Bell, Whipple, etc.) Mounting the nozzle before this style of blower is perfectly safe and actually provides some additional benefits. The small amount of water-methanol fluid isn’t harmful to any rotor seals or surfaces or coatings, and it helps to seal the clearances and condense the air some more, resulting in a more efficient output. Additionally, it keeps the rotors and housing MUCH cooler, which reduces heat transfer to the rest of the intake and air charge.

Cool thanks man! I didn't think to check that

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
I did a meth setup when I was running 91. I did not tune for it, just used it exactly as you described. It worked great for me, and meth lasted a long time. I pulled the kit out after I switched to E85.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I did a meth setup when I was running 91. I did not tune for it, just used it exactly as you described. It worked great for me, and meth lasted a long time. I pulled the kit out after I switched to E85.

How did you have it plumbed? Curious where it was spraying...

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I guess he meant to get a tune meant for 91 octane from AED, and use 93 octane.

If you're tuned on 93 and getting knock then you're gas is not suitable for 93, so yes I was suggesting getting it tuned for a lower grade octane and then running the highest octane. Also it's quite possible that if you get a 91 tune and run 91 you would be fine, it could just be the 93 isn't strong enough but the 92 might be. Detuning for a lower octane is just an alternative to runing meth or constant octane booster to meet the requirements for 93 octane gas on a 93 tune.

Users who are viewing this thread