MGW GT500 shifter (second generation)

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I have the gen 1 MGW and while its an improvement over stock I don't like the way the car shifts at all. My gen 1 is set on 0 and it is still extremely notchy and missing second is still a problem. Also it is way to stiff going side to side to select a gear. For anyone with a gen 2 that had a gen 1 do you feel like these issues were corrected?

The gen2 is not spring loaded in at way so I noticed the side to side is much easier and has a tighter sideto side pattern . Feels smoother fron to back also but I have no real drive time on it .

jonw605

Established Member
I am very happy with my gen 2. I've heard the gen 1 is just about as good at less cost. (about 1/2 if bought used in the market section)

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I am very happy with my gen 2. I've heard the gen 1 is just about as good at less cost. (about 1/2 if bought used in the market section)

Gen 1 is not even close to as nice! You got bad info on that call. The Gen 1 was an improvement, but still tricky to get between 1 to 2 quickly. Gen 2 slows down the shift (intentionally) which has you achieving your target each time, albeit, less quickly.....

pur octane

Established Member
When I spoke with them on Monday and ordered mine I asked about the different length shift handles. I was told they had tried that previously but only have one length available now.

I called them to order over the phone.
Mention your a SVT performance member and they give 5% off as well!!

is this still on 5% off?

c0rn_fed

Established Member
I just read this whole thread and can't wait for my Gen 2 to get in. I ordered it last week and hadn't even read the thread till today. I am guessing because of this thread everyone is getting one because they r on back order. They told me about 2 week till it ships.

SimplexDesign

Established Member
The gen2 is not spring loaded in at way so I noticed the side to side is much easier and has a tighter sideto side pattern . Feels smoother fron to back also but I have no real drive time on it .

Not spring loaded at all from side to side?

SimplexDesign

Established Member
Correct. Only the springs in the trans for side to side. Way easier side to side than the gen1.

If that is the case, and there is no more fighting the centering springs to get it into first and second, I will be upgrading to the Gen 2.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I was really shocked at how crappy the stock shifter is! My gen2 is a few days out. Cant wait!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think there are a few people in this thread that promised some drive time reviews. Still waiting to see that verdict. Most of what has been posted was of just a leisurely shakedown cruise resulting in high praise. If a leisurely cruise is all you're going to do, the Gen 1 is just fine for that. I want to know what it's like when it's time to actually slam some gears; specifically the 1-2 shift.

ridge68

Established Member
Just got off the phone with MGW, ordered my gen 2 shifter...new supply of them ready to ship out on Wednesday or Thursday. BTW, 5% off for SVT Performance members is still valid...:)

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I think there are a few people in this thread that promised some drive time reviews. Still waiting to see that verdict. Most of what has been posted was of just a leisurely shakedown cruise resulting in high praise. If a leisurely cruise is all you're going to do, the Gen 1 is just fine for that. I want to know what it's like when it's time to actually slam some gears; specifically the 1-2 shift.

I believe I posted. Impossible under WOT 1-2 shift to get in without grind lockout with stock shifter. Went to the track and made 4 passes no issues, including a new best of 11.95 @ 119...only mods, flowmaste axle backs, MPSS A/S 3 tires, MGW2, Sinister LCA's. It's worth the money.
Sorry for the crappy vids, I've got to get a new camera. You'll hear me spin hard into 2nd everytime as I'm able to powershift the car. Never happened with the stock shifter.

[video=youtube;8L3MugUFChs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3MugUFChs[/video]

[video=youtube;WA3hnpC7UQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA3hnpC7UQc[/video]

[video=youtube;GPafxNtCNHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPafxNtCNHs[/video]

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Thanks for the vids. Please take no offense because NONE is intended, but those 1-2 shifts aren't what I call slamming gears. Those are what I do on a "relaxed" drive with my Gen 1 shifter. Is it that the Gen 2 just forces the 1-2 shift to be that slow no matter how hard you try?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Thanks for the vids. Please take no offense because NONE is intended, but those 1-2 shifts aren't what I call slamming gears. Those are what I do on a "relaxed" drive with my Gen 1 shifter. Is it that the Gen 2 just forces the 1-2 shift to be that slow no matter how hard you try?

the gen 2 does slow the movement, it's not as fast as the stock shifter(which is one of it's many problems). I'm able to shift under throttle at high rpms, impossible with the stock shifter. That was also before replacing the fluid which has seemed to make it even better, but I haven't been back to the track since.

Users who are viewing this thread