Votes: 31 18.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DSG_2003

Go Baby, Go...
Established Member
I'm debating putting an aftermarket shifter in the Cobra and I'm wondering which one is the better one to go with. I've seen the Poll about the MGW and the Pro 5.0 but now I'm wondering which is the better choice between the MGW Shifter and the Steeda Tri-Ax?? I've heard really good things about both. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Denny

Established Member
This is such a easy choice MGW all the way. A stock shifter with a steeda handle shifts better than the tri-ax. Been there done that.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I've had both. Triax on a 02 GT and MGW on my cobra. MGW rules. smoother & quieter. The rattling on the triax drove me nuts.

I also have a friend that had a triax on his 03 cobra. I showed him my MGW after I got it. He now has a triax sitting around collecting dust.

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
I have used both. I 1st had a tri-ax but heard how much better the MGW was so i bought one. I swapped them out and to tell you the truth? I felt no difference in either. I do like how you can position the handle on the MGW but other than that, they felt the same. I sold the Steeda.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Soon2BBlown said:
I'm debating putting an aftermarket shifter in the Cobra and I'm wondering which one is the better one to go with. I've seen the Poll about the MGW and the Pro 5.0 but now I'm wondering which is the better choice between the MGW Shifter and the Steeda Tri-Ax?? I've heard really good things about both. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

I didn't vote because I have an MGW shifter to put on my 04 but have not done so and thus have no experience between the two. That being said,,,,,

You should not be "considering" swapping out the shifter ... it is a must ... NOT to do so is positively unAmerican LOL!

I have the Pro5.0 in my 95 I love it .. but I think I will like the MGW better and will most likely buy one for it as well.

The best thing for you to do .. rather than a poll is to find some local Mustangs with the shifters you are considering already in them. Then ask the owners if you can sit in the car and run through the gears ... that will give you a preliminary feel and a better base for a decision that a poll will. I will also say that I have heard good and bad about every shifter out there .. except MGW. I have yet to hear a single person to say "I wish I had a (insert other shifter brand here) rather than the MGW. NO bad things about them from anyone .. that says bunches in my book.

YardSpecial

War Veteran X 2
Established Member
For the facts:

Any aftermarket shifter is better then stock. What is BEST is only a opinion. So here is my logic on the topic.

I have the top 3

01 Cobra: MGW
97 GT: Steeda
03 Cobra: Pro 5.0

I like the MGW out of the 3, why?? Noise issues with S & P.
The Steeda ate a $45 rubber boot..........(first model, newer shifters come with anti-boot eater washer)

MGW did their homework and it shows...............

otto

Established Member
steeda tri-ax i have used these for years and they are great. use it with an agent fortyseven shifter arm. those stubbie boy racer shifters are a joke. with harnesses you cant shift even with out a harness your still reaching.get your short throws and precision with the mecanism not the lever. how many trans-am,nascar,or pro drag cars use stubbies they all use proper long arms right in the drivers reach with dialed in shifter mechanisims.

Last edited:

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I had a tri-ax on my car for over a year, before I got my MGW. Both very good shifters, but given the choice, I'd use an MGW first.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I just put my mgw with cobra gripper knob in last night. But its raining so all i can tell you is that it feels great when you are pretend driving in the garage with a beer in your hand

Users who are viewing this thread