MGW owners

ModularFan

Established Member
Two questions:

Are you sure the clutch is adjsuted properly in whatever you are driving? Becuase it sure doesn;t sound liek it if you are having to use that much muscle to get it into gear... other than a click, mine rows through the gears, in my t56 and my tko600...

Part two to that- If the clutch is adjusted properly, and I don't mean this negatively, btu are you a little scrawny dude? Only asking becuase using too much muscle with a shifter is not a common complaint...

3rd- No other spring options I know of...

Yea I don't have much muscle in my arms/wrist, so yea its a little difficult to shift.

exdeath

Established Member
torque = length x force

torque = (length/n) x (force x n)

Of course a short throw shifter is going to be harder to shift. It's the same thing as shortening the throw (speeding up cable take up) of your clutch pedal at the expense of a harder clutch pedal (same work in shorter distances = greater force).

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
torque = length x force

torque = (length/n) x (force x n)

Of course a short throw shifter is going to be harder to shift. It's the same thing as shortening the throw (speeding up cable take up) of your clutch pedal at the expense of a harder clutch pedal (same work in shorter distances = greater force).

So your saying Speed shifting would make it easier to shift, Instead of the slow shifting in a parking lot lol.

exdeath

Established Member
So your saying Speed shifting would make it easier to shift, Instead of the slow shifting in a parking lot lol.

Speed has nothing to do with it. It takes a fixed amount of work to move the linkage in the transmission. You decrease the distance you have to perform that work and it's going to require more force.

ModularFan

Established Member
Speed has nothing to do with it. It takes a fixed amount of work to move the linkage in the transmission. You decrease the distance you have to perform that work and it's going to require more force.

ok, I am just wondering If there's a softer center spring I can get.

Ralo

Established Member
I've read to use the shift stops and not to. So which should I do? Mine got delivered today.

TRBO VNM

I've read to use the shift stops and not to. So which should I do? Mine got delivered today.

do not use them. it is in the instructions and I think they even have a sticker or something on it now(sunburned installed his at my place and mentioned this sticker) to remove the stops. why people even bother posting up that they used them is beyond me. I guess those people can't read to comprehend directions.

to the OP, as far as I know, only 1 center spring is available. you may be able to call George and ask him if he would be willing to put something different in for you, but imo, I wouldn't. the shifter was designed that way for a reason. the stiffer spring makes/forces the handle to center itself, so when you go to the 2-3 shift, it makes it very easy to do. you don't have to think about it. pretty much just push up and the shifter will take care of the rest.

if you have issues getting into reverse, either you are not doing it right, very weak or there is a clutch/tranny issue.

I have driven cars with bad lockout soleniods. yes, it took hitting the shifter pretty hard with one hand to go up into reverse and that was with a different shifter(not MGW). I have also done it with an MGW as well and it was just as hard. either hitting it with one hand or using 2 hands. it should not be that hard if the clutch and tranny are all good. it does take a little extra effort with the T56 to get it over further for reverse because of the lockout, but not "that" much harder.

I forgot now if you liked the stock shifter or not. if you did, based on the questions you are asking and issues you have had with a/m shifter, stick with the stock shifter or convert to auto.

ModularFan

Established Member
Thanks for your response's I haven't felt a stock shifter so I can't say anything from that prospective. Auto isn't an option. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd it seems difficult to bring up and seems to go into Netrual. i heard its hard to go from 4th to 5th as well.

rich01cobra

Established Member
just insalled my MGW yesterday and holy crap! what a noticeable difference from my Tri-Ax. much more solid and stout feeling. shifts much smoother.

i added cobrabob's shifter gasket and i am never going back to RTV. i am now an MGW believer.

*also removed the shift stops

ModularFan

Established Member
just insalled my MGW yesterday and holy crap! what a noticeable difference from my Tri-Ax. much more solid and stout feeling. shifts much smoother.

i added cobrabob's shifter gasket and i am never going back to RTV. i am now an MGW believer.

*also removed the shift stops

you don't have a T56 you got a TR3650 don't you?

Last edited:

Ralo

Established Member
My shifter seems to be louder than my stock one and I used cobra bobs shifter gasket and got the mgw inner dust boot. Any ideas?

ModularFan

Established Member
to the OP, as far as I know, only 1 center spring is available. you may be able to call George and ask him if he would be willing to put something different in for you, but imo, I wouldn't. the shifter was designed that way for a reason. the stiffer spring makes/forces the handle to center itself, so when you go to the 2-3 shift, it makes it very easy to do. you don't have to think about it. pretty much just push up and the shifter will take care of the rest.

Who's George?

Ralo

Established Member
The shifter isn't hard to shift and 2nd to 3rd is so much better. I don't think you will be disappointed. Any ideas on the increased noise?

TRBO VNM

increased noise is typical with aftermarket shifters and the T56 is noisey anyway. I don't know if it comes with it now or not, but MGW has a boot you can put over it. you can try cobrabobs shifter gaskets as well. they are supposed to quiet it down some as well.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
increased noise is typical with aftermarket shifters and the T56 is noisey anyway. I don't know if it comes with it now or not, but MGW has a boot you can put over it. you can try cobrabobs shifter gaskets as well. they are supposed to quiet it down some as well.

+1 These seem to be noticeably louder than stock, despite the number of reviews that state otherwise. Not as bad as some shifters, but still some "diesel" sound effects in 1st and 2nd and some mean gear wind up on downshifts.

ModularFan

Established Member
I am gonna get in contact, with George, maybe Ill even try driving with the shifter boot off to see if I am actually going into Gear 3rd at least.

Users who are viewing this thread