MGW shifter, which handle do you use?

• Blue

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • Red

Votes: 64 45.1%

• Total voters

Hye

Established Member
the blue handle is considered a "sport handle" its the shortest, stubbiest, hence longest reach. red handle is still sporty, but supposively a little more 'relaxed position' of the handle/shifter location. Since i have to shift my body out of my seat more than i would like when i shift, im going to try the red handle

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Red one was out of stock at the time of purchase, so I got the blue. It's fine for me, but I may get the red out of curiosity.

GA Terminator

Established Member
mgw shifter

had the red originally. went to blue recently. throws are even shorter. i agree with most of the guys, i find myself leaning forward to shift. this causes me to adjust my seat forward to compensate.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
@silver the extension piece was a 2inch piece of aluminum one of the forum members was making, you put it inbetween the shifter stem and the base shift mount, it moved the shifter back towards the driver almost 2 inches, stock boot still fit etc. net result i believe was about 1 inch closer then the red handle mgw.

but the mgw shifts much better, and is so quiet compared to the tri-ax, Im not going back. but if reaching is already a slight concern, get the red handle.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
It's a pretty close poll, with red being on top, which I honestly didn't expect. I think I'm gonna order the shifter with the Blue handle, I'd like to see where I stand with the "shortest" shift. If I don't like it, I can always buy the red. Is the install fairly simple/straight forward?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Very simple. Applying a nice even bead of silicone is the most difficult thing to do...which isn't really difficult. You can always order Cobra Bob's gasket to make it easier on yourself.

Cobra Nate

Banned
SilverCobra04 said:
It's a pretty close poll, with red being on top, which I honestly didn't expect. I think I'm gonna order the shifter with the Blue handle, I'd like to see where I stand with the "shortest" shift. If I don't like it, I can always buy the red. Is the install fairly simple/straight forward?

Very easy. If you haven't done it before the instructions are perfect.

YGETV8

Established Member
I use the blue. Bought it used and that's what it came with. But... with my short reach I was having a difficult time with 1-3-5 gear positions. I liked the short throws and shifting precision, however I wasn't a fan of the shift knob being so straight up and down. So, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone: I disassembled the shifter handle by removing the stud, placed it in a vise and heated it up with an acetylene torch just above the level of where it sat once mounted in the blue arm. I then bent it to about a 30-35 degree angle. Cooled, reassembled, and put it back on the car and I LOVE it! Fixed my reach problem and I find it more asthetically pleasing having a slight angle to the knob (close to stock) and I still have the shorter throws of the blue handle! Thought I'd share my experiences if anybody has the same concerns I did.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
I officially ordered the MGW w/Blue handle. I went with the blue handle because I wanted to start with the shortest shift possible. I will have my Steeda tri-ax for sale if anyone wants it? I don't think this thread is a good place to sell the tri-ax. :lol:

YGETV8

Established Member
badboy said:
I have the seat all the way back and I use the blue handle. No problem.

You must be WAY taller than me! Just thought I'd share an option I found for us "vertically challenged" folks!

finally

Established Member
I have both handles. I used the Blue handle 1st for about a month and the reach was just a little to far so I ordered the Red one. It is absolutely perfect. I don't notice any difference in throw even though I know it is a little longer. Awesome shifter, better than the Kirban I had before.

Users who are viewing this thread