mgw vs pro 5.o

mgw vs pro 5.0

• Total voters

Slythrin

this is stupid a Question

that is like asking what color is better? Red or Blue? they both are good pices some like one kind and some another kind it realy isn't what shifter is better than the other one because every one is diffrent as a person. I drove a MGW this week and thought it was ok but i have a pro 5.0 on my car. That doesnt mean Ill run out and buy one because you people said it is better. it real doesnt matter. it is a shifter not a stock investment. Not to mention if you all say MGW is the best and some one doesnt like it will you give them there money back? ( this is for the members not the make of the product.) I say drive both and see what you like then go from there.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Shayne said:
this is stupid a Question

that is like asking what color is better? Red or Blue? they both are good pices some like one kind and some another kind it realy isn't what shifter is better than the other one because every one is diffrent as a person. I drove a MGW this week and thought it was ok but i have a pro 5.0 on my car. That doesnt mean Ill run out and buy one because you people said it is better. it real doesnt matter. it is a shifter not a stock investment. Not to mention if you all say MGW is the best and some one doesnt like it will you give them there money back? ( this is for the members not the make of the product.) I say drive both and see what you like then go from there.

Hmmm...Allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute. First of all, I had a Pro 5.0 shifter in my 93 coupe and loved it. I now have a MGW in my Cobra and it is great. The Pro 5.0 shifter was wonderful, but the MGW is in a league all by itself. I love being able to angle the shifter handle anywhere I want it, and the quality of the unit is top notch. So both shifters are great, I just prefer the MGW.

NOW...as to why it is a good idea to get recommendations on any products, including a shifter for your car. The first shifter I bought for the Cobra was an inexpensive Blue Thunder shifter from UPR. Don't get me wrong...UPR makes some good stuff but the shifter isn't one of them. I absolutely hated just how notchy that shifter was. If I had read some user reviews first, I could have saved the cash I wasted on that purchase (...so much for saving money). So yes, I will sing the praises of the MGW. It is simply the best shifter I have ever used. And it isn't that I have sold my soul to any one manufacturer...It is just that if I find a product that really works (like CobraBob's shifter gaskets) and I am happy with it, I want to let other owner's know so they don't have to waste as much cash on "trial-and-error" as I have. And I don't just give advice...Because of my experiences with the car I now do research and check for opinions when I am considering a new part for one of my vehicles (be it a power adder or a set of sticky tires).

Slythrin

actualy I switched to the MGW and have had it for a little over a month now. My personal experance is ................... I dont like it at all. I am taking it off today and throwing it in the trash and reinstalling the Pro 5.0 Granted i dont like hitting the dash when i shift to 3rd but it is better than not hitting the gear at all. the MGW is Noisy as well, not to mention problems when shifting in to reverse. My wife had to leave the car at her work because she couldnt shift it in to reverse, we checked the adjustments to make sure they were correct and let he drive it again same problem. I didn't tell her i changed the shifter I wanted to hear it from her. this is my experance with this item and I wish I would have just saved my money at this point. and i have the blue handle on the shifter and it still dont work right. my opinion two thumbs down

RL1

Established Member
Wow, thats a totaly diffrent opinion from 99.9% of the people here.....

Anyways, I did a search on the MGW because I am not happy with my Pro 50 at all. Had a pro 50 with the tremic in the fox and I liked it better in that car. The Pro 50 in the cobra feels extremely mushy and the throw sucks!....also noisy as hell even with Bobs gaskets.

Just installed the new clutch and have been debating the switch to a different shifter up until what I read about the MGW today.

Question no one answered earlier - I know the Blue handle is shorter than the red so is the Orange in between?

Shayne said:
actualy I switched to the MGW and have had it for a little over a month now. My personal experance is ................... I dont like it at all. I am taking it off today and throwing it in the trash and reinstalling the Pro 5.0 Granted i dont like hitting the dash when i shift to 3rd but it is better than not hitting the gear at all. the MGW is Noisy as well, not to mention problems when shifting in to reverse. My wife had to leave the car at her work because she couldnt shift it in to reverse, we checked the adjustments to make sure they were correct and let he drive it again same problem. I didn't tell her i changed the shifter I wanted to hear it from her. this is my experance with this item and I wish I would have just saved my money at this point. and i have the blue handle on the shifter and it still dont work right. my opinion two thumbs down

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Shayne said:

it was nice to talk to you tdoay and to follow up i would like you to ship the shifter you have back to me and i will replace it. that absolutely is NOT normal and there must be somne reason for it. we have had no issues with this whatsoever so there is surely something amiss with the shifter you have.

i will send you a new unit and you should have no problems at all with shifting your car.

my address is...

MGW
4159 MIKE PADGETT HIGHWAY
AUGUSTA, GA 30906

regards
george ciamillo

Slythrin

wow talk about customer service that alone is worth more than anything in my book I arived at work today with the phone ringging and it was the George wanting to know what is going on with the shifter after we talked about it he is a man who stands behind his products I will remove the sifter from the car and ship it back to you so we can resolve this matter. thank you again and thank you for being a stand up Guy

Shayne

RL1

Established Member
Just an update - I just installed my MGW tonight with the composite shift knob....by far blows my pro50 out of the water. The throw is shorter, it has a very positive feeling to it...the pro felt like mush - the MGW feels solid.

With the Pro I felt a bit apprehensive powershifting because of the way it felt...as soon as I felt the MGW I had to get on the highway and nail 2nd to 3rd....totally effortless!

I was also nice to see they enclosed a warning stating Tremic didn't suggest using the stops since they were already built into the trans and could cause severe damage if used...wonder if that's why I destroyed my 3-4 shift forks and syncros.....hell they even threw in the alen wrenches and silicone for the install.

I'm so happy with the shifter I was thinking of making a video to show everyone how easy it is to row through the gears...lol

My only complaint would be that the shift knob is too pricey....

jzepp

Established Member
04cobratorchred said:
Blue is a little shorter and the red is a little longer. Blue is used more for racing and the red is more for daily driving. its whatever you like though.

I have a pro 5.0 shifter with the steeda triax handle and although i liked it at first now it seems to still be a longer throw......i am thinking about going with the MGW and would like a shorter throw than the steeda handle but not real short as its a daily driver.........is the red handle shorter than a steeda triax handle and would it give me a shorter throw? Is the blue really short? shorter than a Pro 5.0 handle?

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I just installed mine(orange handle) 4 days ago.. in hopes it would fix my shifting issues. Did not fix the problem, but I had know Idea how much more comfortable it WOULD be over the 5.0. I have trouble reaching 3rd and 5th without sitting on top of the steering wheel, now it's great. What's even more impressive, my Wife even noticed.

akula51

Me
Established Member
MGW, MGW, or MGW. I prefer the MGW though. Ordered the MGW & CB Shifter Gasket the day I got the car home and replaced a Pro 5.0 the previous owner had installed... After replacing the inner shift boot (that you edivently have to cut wide open to install the Pro-5.0) and outer bezel (that the PO had snapped all the plastic tabs off of...grrr), it's a whole new car. I don't have to kiss my V-1 to find 3rd & 5th, and the T-56 is quieter by several orders of magnitude.

There are those who have gone to MGW, and those who eventually will go to MGW...laugh.

Ack

YoungJim

Established Member
akula51 said:
<snip>
There are those who have gone to MGW, and those who eventually will go to MGW...laugh.</snip>

+1 I put mine in the other day, :eek: why didn't I do this years ago? I still have to lean a little ways forward to get 5th and reverse, but thats being 5'6" for you. Other than that... I totally can't wait to get my car on the road again now! :rolling: Also, having seen the machining that goes into aircraft parts (civil and military) I can easily say that MGW's work is up to that standard. I'm honestly a little bummed that such a piece is hiding under the boot! (Hey George - when I make it rich I'll get another one for my coffee table!)

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
Just got the MGW in and love it i went with the silver race Handel and love it its definitely the way to go:D

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I had the Pro 5.0 in my red car and it was good; Then I picked up my SB and the MGW is better BY FAR; mostly because of the fact that u can adjust it closer to you and it makes the throws SO much easier, I'd never go back.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I also voted Pro 5.0 because I have it and love it. It has the Cobra Bob gaskets and is quiet. I also drove a friend of mines car with the MGW and all though I love the design and the adjustability it didn't shift as well in his car. This may have been a problem with his tranny though as everyone else I have talked to loves the MGW. When people ask I still recommend both as I feel they are both quality pieces. I will not give up my Pro 5.0 though. It shifts like butta.

I M fast

daily driven!
Established Member
I just got one for xmas with the orange handle. Still have to install but from all of the info on the various cobra message boards mgw seems to be the shifter of choice. I cant wait to put it on. I have had the tranny out so many times for different things always hoping that it would feel better after the work was done, only to find it still felt like a turd. I hope this makes driving a enjoyable feelling again.

sleepless

Established Member
How does the MGW compare to stock (rather than other aftermarket shifters)?

Other than making the throws shorter, what are the other benefits?

Users who are viewing this thread