MGW vs STEEDA shifter for 96 cobra

mnewxcv

Established Member
Hey guys, I know we have a lot of fans of both of these shifters, but can I get some first hand feedback? I have the tri-ax *handle* on the stock shifter at the moment, and my lack of confidence going from 2nd to 3rd is killing the sportiness of the car. I'm looking for something that will bounce back to the neutral position and right up to third from second, instead of it being like a 2 step operation as it is now. The steeda is marketed as having a special coil to 'never miss third again', but I have read some people still have issues with 3rd. Does the MGW have a spring or anything to get it back to neutral with force so a fast upward motion from second will grab third? Any other shifters worth looking at?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
My Tri-Ax has a pretty strong spring that centers it everytime. Ive only missed third due to a mis-adjusted clutch cable.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a pro 5.0 then went to MGW, the MGW was as much of an improvement over the pro 5.0 as the pro 5.0 was over stock. With the MGW you can slam the shifter straight forward and it'll be in 3rd, at least with the 3650

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I had a pro 5.0 then went to MGW, the MGW was as much of an improvement over the pro 5.0 as the pro 5.0 was over stock. With the MGW you can slam the shifter straight forward and it'll be in 3rd, at least with the 3650

Same for the Tri-Ax and the same trans.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
does it center with some force? I basically want to have to use some muscle to get it into the 1st/2nd row.
The shifter springs are solid, and if you have an issue with them MGW will take care of it.

As soon as I bump my shifter out of second it is centered and ready to drop into the third gear gate. From there it's just a bump down to fourth. The shifter does all of the work in regard to centering.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mnewxcv

Established Member
I noticed the steeds has adjustable stops to not damage forks and such. It seems the mgw lacks that, correct?

mnewxcv

Established Member
I see the MGW does in fact have shift stops, nevermind. Anyone here using the cobrabob gasket, or is it just 'luxury' item? Not trying to spend a fortune as the shifter is already over $200 shipped.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I keep saying I am going to purchase one of @CobraBob 's gaskets, and end up with other things I need.

I recommend the gasket. I am not a fan of RTV or Permatex.

Thanks Aaron. Stop procrastinating and buy one. LOL. Whenever you're ready, my friend.

Seriously, the shifter gasket serves an important anti-sound purpose. Think of it as a sound barrier, helping to prevent transmission related noise from entering the cabin. It really works. Just read the testimonies on my website.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Thanks Aaron. Stop procrastinating and buy one. LOL. Whenever you're ready, my friend.

Seriously, the shifter gasket serves an important anti-sound purpose. Think of it as a sound barrier, helping to prevent transmission related noise from entering the cabin. It really works. Just read the testimonies on my website.

Will it make me faster? :D

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

I'm not procrastinating, I'm broke. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread