Miami building collapse

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Sink hole wouldn't surprise me at all. Florida is full of em.....
This. 100% this. Sink holes develop in Florida all the time. The whole thing hardly constitutes "land" so much as "shifting sand on a salt dome."

And this is far from the first Florida building or home to be lost by a suddenly appearing sink hole in the last 100 years.

VegasMichael

Established Member
So awful this had to happen. My grandfather was an architect in Manhattan for most of his career until mandatory retirement at 65. He then moved with my grandmother down to Florida in the early 70s and opened up his own little firm from his house. He did various designs for businesses on the Atlantic coast up into the 1990s and used to get so upset at the awful construction practices he witnessed going on.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I read the report and honestly MC is probably fortunate enough not to get involved with that mess. A lot of superficial weather damage, but the focus will be on page 7 and 8. That is the structural discoveries. The building was not built to spec or design by architect or engineer. I see liability on owners for gross maintenance neglect.

ya there's a couple things coming out on complaints about potential structural issues and nothing being done. People might end up in jail over this one (well, any pretty much any other country anyway)

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Last week the Navy did a blast study to test the durability of new carriers. It registered as a 3.9 earthquake in Florida. Wonder if this had anything to help it along.

I've seen it was a 100 miles offshore but not sure what area. What a mess that would be if that was the case.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Epoxy coated rebar rusts from the inside out

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep

A pinhole manufacturing defect or a scratch that may occur during handling or placement at a construction site will cause an epoxy coated rebar to degrade rapidly. Epoxy coated rebar has been banned in the province of Quebec. Other provinces in Canada and many U.S. States have initiated studies re-evaluating its use.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
My captain from work is there. He has a search dog. Said it’s absolutely insane there. Pics do it no justice. He will be deployed for the next 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Yep

A pinhole manufacturing defect or a scratch that may occur during handling or placement at a construction site will cause an epoxy coated rebar to degrade rapidly. Epoxy coated rebar has been banned in the province of Quebec. Other provinces in Canada and many U.S. States have initiated studies re-evaluating its use.

MMFX rebar and galvanized rebar are now being used in FL. I don’t think they used either back in 81.
The earliest I remember seeing it is 88/89 I never worked as far south as Miami/ Dade though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread