Michelin vs Nitto

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Nitto NT05"s. Which one would grip better?
Thanks in advance.

IA Shelby

Established Member
nt05. I think the NT05 is as close to a DR as you can get.

The toyo r888 or NTO1 has a softer compound than the nto5.

In answer to the op's question- don't know with a head to head comparison.

Both a great tires and I would expect have similar level of grip

The nitto's are just less expensive.

2013gt5

Established Member
I'm interested it this too. I am ordering new tires very soon and have been looking going back and forth between Michelin's & Nitto's

IA Shelby

Established Member
If you want to keep factory size and have improved grip with front and rear matching tires (same brand, same tread design) then it appears that Michelin SS are the best choice.

Toyo R888 come in the 285/35/20 but do not offer a 19 inch version that will work.

Hankook vents rs-3 (stick track tire) comes in factory rear size but the 19 is .7" shorter than factory.

If you absolutely want to stick with the factory wheels I would go With the Michelin's.

One of the 13 owners (cool cobra) got new wheels and with with toyo r888 with 315/30/20 in the rear and 285/35/20. These are perfectly matched and have the exact same ride height (27.6). CaR would lose some of the rake vs stock. Granted he has wheels that will accommodate these tire sizes.

It comes down to what you want (traction, looks, weight, performance, ride quality).

18's better performance, weight, ride, tires with traction are available

19's good compromise but tire availability stinks.

20's looks, solid tire options but gives up some ride quality, weight and performance.

Just one man's opinion.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Better grip? I'd have to say the Nittos. BUT if you want to compare more like tires, I'd compare the Michelin SS's to Nitto Invos. The Invos are made for water and last longer. HOWEVER, the Nittos also have only a "W" speed rating (168 MPH) and therefore have a lot more sidewall flex than the Michelin SS's do. If you are only driving it on the street and want really good traction, I love my Nitto Invo's. But, the tires handled like crap on the racetrack when I had them on my 2008 Corvette Coupe.

The Michelin is the all around better tire. But for the money, the Nitto probably can't be beat.

reason4treason

Established Member
Michelin pilot ss are now available in our tire size.

just did a quick check to get an idea of prices and at costco all 4 in stock sizes are 1345.96.

20s (item #646673) are 379.99 and 19s (item #655572) are 327.99 with 70.00 off when you buy a set of 4 through to the end of Jan.

Nitrogen filled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread